advertisement

Independent Scotland (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a coincidence I was in getting my haircut on Friday and the girl said to me "how recently did you last get your hair cut?" to which I replied "2,000 years ago"

I'm going to bed.

In this the 40,000th annual meeting of the Amoeba civilisation, I must report that descendants of the "is there anyone out there worth talking to" subcommittee who went towards the sunrise have reported back that they met the descendants of the subcommittee who went towards the sunset coming the other way. We have executed both teams before the inferior RNA that supports a nucleus shaped world could bud off and replicate this heresy.

Now if we just sign off on this bill outlawing individuals working together in concert towards a common goal we can get back to our vacuoles... ...sorry - someone raised pseudopodia at the back there? Yes, well - technically voting for the bill is a concerted action by all of us... ...I see your point. It would seem the move to multi-cellular life is inevitable after all. Well, at least we can give the buggers dysentery.

Oh god nobody call it a colony or we'll have another fvking 'I hate the English' Mel Gibson film popping up.

Wallace and Grommet does Dallas?

(Although I'd really not like to think about what the phrase "cracking cheese Grommet" would be referring to in this context)

Sir, my pleasure.

Actually, something I got slightly wrong - not all of the UK/Eire common area is in the EU as the Channel Islands are in the CTA, but not in the EU.

I suppose this is similar to places like Monaco and Liechtenstein which are not in officially Schengen but have no border controls with Europe.
Airport limitations and geography prevent the Channel Islands becoming entry points from Africa and Asia, so they are not an issue for border control

The debate on STV last night was the best so far. Not shouty. Good speakers on both sides.

I've noticed how the Yes side have a large number of Cybernats on Twitter.

The latest polls show that it really is on a knife edge.

The debate on STV last night was the best so far. Not shouty. Good speakers on both sides.

I've noticed how the Yes side have a large number of Cybernats on Twitter.

The latest polls show that it really is on a knife edge.

Is that the same debate that was broadcast on ITV last night with Sturgeon vs Alexander? It was on in the background and there was someone else on there, Elaine Smith I believe, and I had to turn it off. I'm sure I heard her saying something like 'how come people in Glasgow have a lower average life expectancy' and how it was the fault of Westminster policies and how if Scotland were to go it alone, this would change etc.... I couldn't understand her reasoning as Scotland gets more per person than the rest of the UK and they have free medical prescriptions and such like so I'm not sure how health issues in Glasgow for example, are as a result of Westminster policies??

Did this get any traction? The Yes audience there and on the previous Darling/Salmond debate seem very vocal and loud in support of their side of the argument.

Palpable panic from Edward Leigh on the Tory backbenches at PMQ's this lunchtime with his advice to Cameron, Clegg and Miliband to drop everything for the next fortnight & head north to stop the unthinkable happening. Leaving aside that it's certainly too late, the thuggish tendency of the nats. would make any civilised debate impossible. I've always airily dismissed a "yes" majority. Is the nightmare about to become an appalling reality ?

Palpable panic from Edward Leigh on the Tory backbenches at PMQ's this lunchtime with his advice to Cameron, Clegg and Miliband to drop everything for the next fortnight & head north to stop the unthinkable happening. Leaving aside that it's certainly too late, the thuggish tendency of the nats. would make any civilised debate impossible. I've always airily dismissed a "yes" majority. Is the nightmare about to become an appalling reality ?

If the turkeys vote for Xmas, we are all screwed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...tyle-currency-crisis-Goldman-Sachs-warns.html

Bub what are you complaining about? Even descendants of The Kaiser would get a say if they were resident in Scotland. FFS even Chris is getting a vote!

If you're busy, I'll take your card down to the polling station for you.

Bub, read my ****ing posts. I've never voted SNP in my life. Salmond is a slippery git- he'd put Dave 'n' Co. to shame when it comes to guile. I'm part if that rising trend line meeting the one coming down though. Call me crazee but I'm voting yes on the 18th. Mr.Ribee has convinced me it's my duty.

Could get lonely and very expensive taking on all services required to run a civilisd country.

Joining EU to get Scotlandsihead in thye grants trough along with other small countries, is approx a 6 years process, assuming all criteria met.

Iceland started process in 2008 and expect to complet accession process in 2014, with no guarantee of membership. Assuming all criteria (extensive) are net, all member EU nations still have to ratify. And if any do object....

Reality would be waiting in the queue behind Croatia, Iceland and a bunch of ex eastern Block countries, who would like some subsidies and access to markets etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_of_Iceland_to_the_European_Union

I live in Barnet and have just come back from Iceland. Barnet has a slightly larger population, both around 350,00, and Iceland is 1,187 times larger.

Why Iceland wants to join the EU I have no idea.

Bub,
When you and Chris have handed over your life savings to have someone smuggle you over the border in a hay cart, I'll be at Gretna with a heavily drugged Fox to finger you to the militia. After that it's back up to Edinburgh Castle in a tumbril and a final giddy, summersaulting view of the cheering crowd and a soft landing in a basket before the darkness.

Forget about the pound issue, these are the important questions;

If Scotland becomes independent, will I need my passport to cross the border? Do I have to apply for citizenship before moving there? Do I have to learn the language? Will there be an export tax on Whisky sent down to England? Will the United Kingdom be now known as the Untied Kingdom? Will the Union Jack be redesigned? When will the Welsh do the same and how can we encourage them? Will the Scots have their own monarchy, or will it be a republic? Will they kick out the English royals from Balmoral? Where is Andy Stewart?

I know it's economically suicidal, but if the vote is Yes, then I will applaud the Scots for their passion and their belief. We English could learn a lot from this. The truth is that a Yes vote will actually make bugger-all difference at all.
(I loved on the news yesterday that Alex Salmond on the Pound issue compared Scotland economically to Luxembourg. You have to admire his style)

Forget about the pound issue, these are the important questions;

If Scotland becomes independent, will I need my passport to cross the border? Do I have to apply for citizenship before moving there? Do I have to learn the language? Will there be an export tax on Whisky sent down to England? Will the United Kingdom be now known as the Untied Kingdom? Will the Union Jack be redesigned? When will the Welsh do the same and how can we encourage them? Will the Scots have their own monarchy, or will it be a republic? Will they kick out the English royals from Balmoral? Where is Andy Stewart?

I know it's economically suicidal, but if the vote is Yes, then I will applaud the Scots for their passion and their belief. We English could learn a lot from this. The truth is that a Yes vote will actually make bugger-all difference at all.
(I loved on the news yesterday that Alex Salmond on the Pound issue compared Scotland economically to Luxembourg. You have to admire his style)

It's not passion and belief, it's hubris, pure and simple. I have no problem with more devolution after a rigorous examination of the pros and cons but this whole thing smacks of a Salmond vanity project. If it is yes, then I predict civil disobedience within the year when people realise what they have committed. Then, it will be down to the new Justice minister, Tommy Sheridan, to re-establish order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back