advertisement

Independent Scotland (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eire and the UK are in a common passport area. This area is also part of the EU, although separate to the bigger Schengen area.

NeuScotland would have to negotiate being allowed to continue as part of that area.

Not being in the EU (as seems likely for Scotland) and having a very different immigration policy to the common area (as stated could be the case by Salmond - Scotland has a bigger need of young skilled workers than the UK as a whole) may make that a problem as well. You can't really operate different immigration policies in a common passport area.

Eire and the current UK are in the EU together (free movement etc) and have substantially similar immigration policies - deliberately to facilitate this. All visa agreements with other nations are the same etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area

If Scotland wishes to apply for EU membership, it would have to agree to joining the Schengen Area (current EU policy for new members) after the minimum qualifying period, demonstration of fiscal propriety etc - along with the Euro, or somehow get an opt out agreed in a process where any member state could easily veto exceptional requests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

Good answer, thanks.

Good answer, thanks.

Sir, my pleasure.

Actually, something I got slightly wrong - not all of the UK/Eire common area is in the EU as the Channel Islands are in the CTA, but not in the EU.

I suppose this is similar to places like Monaco and Liechtenstein which are not in officially Schengen but have no border controls with Europe.

Scottish NHS and Education infrastructures have existed for a lifetime. Along with a separate police and legal system. There's been a separate parliament since the 13th century, albeit with an interregnum between 1707 and 1998.
Good to go, as they say- following a bilateral negotiation.

Funded by UK taxation. Scotland doesn't raise enough money to maintain funding at the same levels, so there will be cuts.

Salmond, the great left-wing man of the people, is also planning to cut corporation taxes, so lining the pockets of the rich.

You must be a part of the SNP.

AFAIUI, it isn't expunged. It doesnt just disappear. The debt will still exist but Scotland won't be contributing to the payments. It's picking and choosing what bits Salmond wants from the UK and dismissing the rest.

Try looking at it the other way around. The debt is both in and of sterling, but Westminster says an indy Scotiland can't have a share of the currency.
In a stroke Westminster has absolved Scotiland of its' share of the debt, because ownership of sterling equates with responsibility for the debt.
I don't see how Scotiland could fairly account for its' share of the debt without the associated stake in sterling.

If Scotland do not accept a proportion of the debt, or won't contribute/pay interest payments to the rUK on Scotlands share, they will be in default. So in that regard, rUK will still end up paying out but Scotland's credit rating will go down the chute which could affect them going forward if they ever need to borrow money. And if Salmond is refusing to accept part of the debt, then surely he can't expect a share of UK bought assets like RBS or BoS as they were bought/bailed out with borrowed money which is now part of the debt??

I agree, and one of many reasons I've concluded Salmond and co. are vainglorious chancers.

Is debt really tied to the nominal currency?

Yes, because we are talking about government issued debt.

There are no border passport checks between Ireland and the Northern Province, so why would there be one between God's Own Country and Engerland?

Mick P

Funded by UK taxation. Scotland doesn't raise enough money to maintain funding at the same levels, so there will be cuts.

Salmond, the great left-wing man of the people, is also planning to cut corporation taxes, so lining the pockets of the rich.

You must be a part of the SNP.

Pretty much what I thought, also found that Scotland has 10% higher public service spending per head than the UK.

Just can't see how Salmond could finance the same services and I'm sure massive cuts would result in them losing loads of voters.

Postal vote posted.

(Mine own as well, didn't need to buy one off ebay. LOL. Those Drumchapel chaps exercising their belief in the free market for a bag of chips and all that)

I now get to sit back and watch the drama unfold as you all indybate yourselves into a frrrrenzy. Bub is typically playing his poker face, no one knows which way he will vote. Clever.

ehmohtional-20130717T012749-j5y6wx7.jpeg

Chillax ladies it's only a referendum for which parliamentary cünt gets to shit down your throat. Poop is poop either way you smear it.

Chillax ladies it's only a referendum for which parliamentary cünt gets to shit down your throat. Poop is poop either way you smear it.

Which is the tragically missed opportunity of the referendum imo.
If the snp were proposing genuinely radical economic and social policy I'd be for independence like a rat up a drainpipe.

Try looking at it the other way around. The debt is both in and of sterling, but Westminster says an indy Scotiland can't have a share of the currency.
In a stroke Westminster has absolved Scotiland of its' share of the debt, because ownership of sterling equates with responsibility for the debt.
I don't see how Scotiland could fairly account for its' share of the debt without the associated stake in sterling.

The debt is UK debt, not the BoE's debt. The debt is in Sterling as that's the currency we use but countries can buy other countries debt via gilts and bonds etc. and get paid in the same currency although they may possibly take a hit or make additional profit via currency exchange rates. All that's happening is the UK has a debt pile and has to pay interest/repayment on this debt and as a matter of breaking up the union, it's fair for the separate parties to take a fair share of the accumulated debt that we all benefitted from.

The debt is UK debt, not the BoE's debt. The debt is in Sterling as that's the currency we use but countries can buy other countries debt via gilts and bonds etc.

Yes, but they aren't debtors (like Scotland and England), they are a creditors.

… and get paid in the same currency although they may possibly take a hit or make additional profit via currency exchange rates. All that's happening is the UK has a debt pile and has to pay interest/repayment on this debt and as a matter of breaking up the union, it's fair for the separate parties to take a fair share of the accumulated debt that we all benefitted from.

It's fair if an independent Scotland gets a fair share of sterling the currency™, as well as the sterling national debt.
If Scotland gets cut out of UK£ that includes both the resource and debt.
It's a reverse can't have your cake and eat it.

It's fair if an independent Scotland gets a fair share of sterling the currency[emoji769], as well as the sterling national debt.
If Scotland gets cut out of UK£ that includes both the resource and debt.
It's a reverse can't have your cake and eat it.

The currency and who 'owns' it is a red herring. It's being used as a bargaining chip/threat by the SNP but isn't relevant to the actual matter in hand.

From this FactCheck article - http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-can-scotland-avoid-paying-uk-debt/13362

This is the view set out in the Vienna Conventions on Succession of States, which the SNP has often referred to in the past.

The convention that relates to property and debt says: “When part of the territory of a state is transferred by that state to another state, the passing of the state debt of the predecessor state to the successor state is to be settled by agreement between them.

“In the absence of such an agreement, the state debt of the predecessor state shall pass to the successor State in an equitable proportion…”

The only way this would not apply is if Scotland was treated as a former colony rather than a partner state in the United Kingdom.

Oh god nobody call it a colony or we'll have another fvking 'I hate the English' Mel Gibson film popping up.

Which is the tragically missed opportunity of the referendum imo.
If the snp were proposing genuinely radical economic and social policy I'd be for independence like a rat up a drainpipe.

I don't believe change or anything radical-in-a-good-way comes from politicians and politics in any climate. We pin too much faith/bile on personalities. Radicalism is about how elegantly you conduct your life in a way you want irrespective of external influence.

Politics is fairly modern concept and does not feel all that robust when under pressure, plus it seems to scale poorly; I don't think its out of pre release beta test stage really. There is a lot of commented out sections I don't like about it... Variables get lost, decision trees go nowhere and it suffers memory leakage.

I don't believe change or anything radical-in-a-good-way comes from politicians and politics in any climate. We pin too much faith/bile on personalities. Radicalism is about how elegantly you conduct your life in a way you want irrespective of external influence.

Politics is fairly modern concept and does not feel all that robust when under pressure, plus it seems to scale poorly; I don't think its out of pre release beta test stage really. There is a lot of commented out sections I don't like about it... Variables get lost, decision trees go nowhere and it suffers memory leakage.

Modern??? I'm not all that up on history but I thought politics was at least 2,000 years old if not 3-4,000 years old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back