advertisement

Independent Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodrat

pfm Member
If there is a vote and the Scots go for self rule, is it sustainable? I would imagine that as the oil is dwindling, apart from tourism, there is not much to sustain the country. I for one would be not be happy if the Scots get self rule and then rely on England for handouts.

If there is a vote and the Scots go for self rule, is it sustainable?

apart from tourism, there is not much to sustain the country.

I for one would be not be happy if the Scots get self rule and then rely on England for handouts.

I will certainly hate to see the break up of the UK but it does look like there is now a desire in both England and Scotland for the separation of the two nations. Given the widening political gulf between the two and the run-down of tax revenues from North Sea oil and gas means that England no longer has a the same fiscal interest in preventing separation. Quite the opposite, English voters may well want to see the off-loading of a perceived fiscal liability. No Scots Labour MP's in Westminster would ensure Conservative majorities for years. This could be a very attractive political proposition. Dave probably feels, as leader of the Conservative and Unionist Party that he has to keep the Union Jack flying, but do you really believe his protestations? I certainly dont.

to take your points-

1. I understand that the SNP government are already carrying out that analysis.

2. Tourism will Im sure continue to be a component but a smaller one than renewable energy, oil and gas production and water.

3. Can you explain the paradox of self rule then hand outs? I dont understand that

"But what about our oil?"

I imagine that is the question Osborne will be asking- what with about £10 billion per year in revenues to the exchequer. Then theres the relentless rise in oil prices to think about, making it even more attractive. Just keep it going a bit longer then grant them their wishes for independence

It would mean we'd have to remove the blue bits from the Union Flag? Think of the admin costs! I guess the Scots will remain in the Commonwealth though.

Independance makes no economic sense for the Scots unless they continue to be subsidised by the remainder of the UK. I think the remainder of the UK might have something to say about subsidies continuing after Scottish Independance.

J

Im not sure how you envisage 'subsidies continuing' after independence? Is Osborne giving away free money to Holland, Belgium, Denmark?
Maybe Salmond's plans are being underestimated- he is actually aiming for absolute separation as an independent nation. Issues of the Commmonwealth, the monarch etc would then have to be decided by the Scots. It may be that Scotland's primary relationship is with the EU and not the archaic historical structures you mention.

Surely independence means just that - youre on your own?

The other party leaders in Scotland have jumped ship. Looks like Salmond will now get some major concessions on borrowing/taxation following his meeting later this week with the Scottish secretary. - up go my bloody taxes again, providing Im still employed!

To cap it all who in Scotland can run a credible "no" campaign? Cos "Eck" over the next 3 years will do a great job on the propoganda front. Combine this with the continued north south racism, and the games up.

Steve.

IMHO once the Scots get a proper understanding of the economic realities of independance in the long term they will get cold feet. As a Union we have learnt to share revenues and subsidies as industries, resources, opportunities and disasters come and go. In the long term the Union is to all our mutual advantage. The Scottish Nation was bankrupted before the Union and it could happen again after, but it has never been so exposed whilst in the Union.

But the most important question is whether or not they'd still broadcast England football matches with biased commentary. I think they'd miss that.

In all seriousness though, I think it would be a terribly sad decision.

Could get lonely and very expensive taking on all services required to run a civilisd country.

Joining EU to get Scotlandsihead in thye grants trough along with other small countries, is approx a 6 years process, assuming all criteria met.

Iceland started process in 2008 and expect to complet accession process in 2014, with no guarantee of membership. Assuming all criteria (extensive) are net, all member EU nations still have to ratify. And if any do object....

Reality would be waiting in the queue behind Croatia, Iceland and a bunch of ex eastern Block countries, who would like some subsidies and access to markets etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_of_Iceland_to_the_European_Union

Would an independent Scotland have it's own currency I wonder? Or even join the Euro (ha!).

Would an independent Scotland have it's own currency I wonder? Or even join the Euro (ha!).

Matthew

There is an increasing belief in the Tory faithfull that Scotland is a case of not being worth the money we spend on them.

The sooner we dump them the better but sadly I doubt if the Scots will elect for full blown independance.

There is no point in letting them use the GBP as it will be a repeat of East Germany dragging down the west. Better to make them use their own currency or apply for the euro.

Before anyone blasts on about the Oil, the revenues will still continue to go to london with possibly a percentage being passed to Scotland

Basically they would be mad to become independant but let's hope that Nationalism takes over their brains.

There is frankly no economic reason to retain the Union.

Regards

Mick

Every year, an area the size of Scotland and Wales combined clings to England for financial support,,,

:p

I would like to see their plans for self support once the rug has been pulled out from under them.

Every year, an area the size of Scotland and Wales combined clings to England for financial support,,,

:p

I would like to see their plans for self support once the rug has been pulled out from under them.

No you are wrong there.

An area the size of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Cumbria, Northumberland, Durham, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire, staffs etc etc etc clings to South-east England for financial support.

Will the Scots be allowed to remain MPs if they DO devolve?

England is the only part of the UK that does not have a Regional Assembly.

As a Union we have learnt to share revenues and subsidies as industries, resources, opportunities and disasters come and go.
In the long term the Union is to all our mutual advantage.

I hope the politicians manage a similarly sensible approach to the issue.

Surely independence means just that - youre on your own?

The other party leaders in Scotland have jumped ship. Looks like Salmond will now get some major concessions on borrowing/taxation following his meeting later this week with the Scottish secretary. - up go my bloody taxes again, providing Im still employed!

To cap it all who in Scotland can run a credible "no" campaign? Cos "Eck" over the next 3 years will do a great job on the propoganda front. Combine this with the continued north south racism, and the games up.

Steve.

Seems likely a minority of the pro view on both sides of the border will stoop to that level - let's hope it's minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back