advertisement

In praise of Gina Miller

Tell that to the 300,000 people who are believed to have died as a result of austerity in the UK.

And it’s the fault of the coalition.

Under the current Government a few million died unnecessarily during Covid. Maybe a coalition is better?
Or maybe it’s not a fair or meaningful comparison…

What you are doing is called reductive reasoning.

And it’s the fault of the coalition.

Under the current Government a few million died unnecessarily during Covid. Maybe a coalition is better?
Or maybe it’s not a fair or meaningful comparison…

What you are doing is called reductive reasoning.
I was responding to your specific point which downplayed the severity of austerity in the UK.

Another important factor that is missing from labour is
I was responding to your specific point which downplayed the severity of austerity in the UK.

It was severe, but childs paly in comparison with what people had to live trhough in Portugal, where I lived at the time, or Greece.
Again, relativity matters in these things and I find that Britons could do with a bit of less navel-gazing, not just in this matter but in many other things.

Really?
Yet she was there when labour wasn't...
It's a mixed bag though, innit?

The legal challenge that established the sovereignty of Parliament when it came to invoking A50 was worthwhile - necessary, even.

The rest of her interventions... not so much:

Fgu8OK-WIAI411v

To be fair, the policies of her party aren't at all bad:

https://www.trueandfairparty.uk/political-policies

Note that rejoining the EU isn't listed. ;)

Some decent stuff in there but it's a grab bag, and there's too much of it, with no real focus - reminiscent, dare I say, of Labour's 2019 (as opposed to 2017) manifesto.

In any case, this latest intervention is pure delusion. I'm sure Starmer and Davey laughed as they tossed the letter in the bin.

I really wish the LDs, Greens, PC and various independents such as Miller would merge into one democratic accountable and anti-Tory/Labour party. Ideally branded as ‘Green’ as now is the time for a properly competitive green party. A party that stands for electoral reform, reversing the catastrophic Brexit policy, unambiguously stands for human rights, civil liberties, a truly progressive economy, removing monarchy, HoL etc etc. A proper zero-gammon zone. A party that absolutely refuses to pander to vile dickheads. Labour can never be this as it is just too spineless and owned by the Tory establishment. Miller alone will achieve little, but she will never be as tainted by nationalism, authoritarianism and gerrymandering as Labour.

I can see the party doing OK if their candidates run good targeted campaigns against unpopular Conservative MPs. They're not going to be a major force in politics but, as the Greens have shown, having even just a single MP makes a world of difference in terms of national exposure.

Bizarrely they've chosen to field a candidate in Beckenham not too far from me - Conservative for the past 72 years.

I really wish the LDs, Greens, PC and various independents such as Miller would merge into one democratic accountable and anti-Tory/Labour party. Ideally branded as ‘Green’ as now is the time for a properly competitive green party. A party that stands for electoral reform, reversing the catastrophic Brexit policy, unambiguously stands for human rights, civil liberties, a truly progressive economy, removing monarchy, HoL etc etc. A proper zero-gammon zone. A party that absolutely refuses to pander to vile dickheads. Labour can never be this as it is just too spineless and owned by the Tory establishment. Miller alone will achieve little, but she will never be as tainted by nationalism, authoritarianism and gerrymandering as Labour.
I don't think that Sir Ed Davey is going to abolish the monarchy for you. Just a hunch.

Yes, disappointing. Incompatible with both the terms ‘liberal’ and ‘democrat’ IMO. By saying that I’d expect the LDs to move in that direction rather sooner than Labour.

Labour is just a big stagnant blob, a pale reflection of what it should represent.

But people adhere to parties as they do to football clubs. It's gut-driven, irrational, like Brexit. And, in most cases, for life.

It's a mixed bag though, innit?

The legal challenge that established the sovereignty of Parliament when it came to invoking A50 was worthwhile - necessary, even.

The rest of her interventions... not so much:

Fgu8OK-WIAI411v

To be fair, the policies of her party aren't at all bad:

https://www.trueandfairparty.uk/political-policies

Note that rejoining the EU isn't listed. ;)

Some decent stuff in there but it's a grab bag, and there's too much of it, with no real focus - reminiscent, dare I say, of Labour's 2019 (as opposed to 2017) manifesto.

In any case, this latest intervention is pure delusion. I'm sure Starmer and Davey laughed as they tossed the letter in the bin.
Challenged the proroguing of parliament too...another instance of a major constitutional power grab by the tories where labour was missing in action.

Labour is just a big stagnant blob, a pale reflection of what it should represent.

But people adhere to parties as they do to football clubs. It's gut-driven, irrational, like Brexit. And, in most cases, for life.
Hard to give this much credence in the face of the wild ups and downs of all the main parties in recent years, and low participation and turnout over previous decades. Not everything that’s wrong can be explained by tribalism.

advertisement

Back