advertisement

In praise of Gina Miller

Challenged the proroguing of parliament too...another instance of a major constitutional power grab by the tories where labour was missing in action.
Uh, Labour condemned it, moved to legislate against it and called for Johnson’s resignation, while Momentum called for street protests. Not sure what else you’d have had them do.

Mount a legal challenge, maybe?
Labour, as a parliamentary party, opposed it in parliament (and the media), Momentum, as a popular movement, in the streets. The idea that political action is absent until a smart-looking lawyer gets involved is part of how we got here, IMO.

Labour, as a parliamentary party, opposed it in parliament (and the media), Momentum, as a popular movement, in the streets. The idea that political action is absent until a smart-looking lawyer gets involved is part of how we got here, IMO.
Bollocks. Which one got it overturned and parliament reopened?

Bollocks. Which one got it overturned and parliament reopened?
Certainly stopped Johnson in his tracks didn’t it. Didn’t supercharge anti-political sentiment and drive us towards a rock hard Brexit or anything like that. All in all a big win for supporters of EU membership.

Or at least for celebrity lawyers and other media creatures.

other media creatures.

Surely pretty much anyone who plays a role in public life now could be labelled a 'media creature'?

You're far more up on this stuff Sean (am I right in thinking this is what you do for a living?) but I'm naively hoping there's some difference between Gina Miller and Pirate Pete from TOWIE.

Challenged the proroguing of parliament too...another instance of a major constitutional power grab by the tories where labour was missing in action.
Thanks for the reminder and yes, credit where it's due. I believe that this action was necessary to stop an obvious power grab.

I remember the Supreme Court decision vividly as I was in Lyon at the time, watching live news updates on my laptop.

Looking back, it was the last moment of optimism in the entire Brexit process. It quickly became obvious, when Parliament returned, that the opposition parties were completely incapable of working together to stop the Brexit juggernaut. It all fell apart very quickly after that.

One caveat to the above. Although I think the challenge was right and proper, politically it played straight into Dominic Cummings' hands by reinforcing the narrative that the elite were trying to overturn "the will of the people". It's a powerful line that, ultimately, proved impossible to counter.

Surely pretty much anyone who plays a role in public life now could be labelled a 'media creature'?

You're far more up on this stuff Sean (am I right in thinking this is what you do for a living?) but I'm naively hoping there's some difference between Gina Miller and Pirate Pete from TOWIE.
All politicians are media figures to a degree, but some are purely media creatures in that they wouldn’t even exist without the particular media environment we enjoy today. Rees-Mogg and Johnson fall into this category IMO, as does Jess Phillips, there are probably others. I don’t know enough about Miller to say if she’s quite in this class but certainly the profile seems way out of proportion to her actual political abilities, and her priorities clearly skew the same way.

All politicians are media figures to a degree, but some are purely media creatures in that they wouldn’t even exist without the particular media environment we enjoy today. Rees-Mogg and Johnson fall into this category IMO, as does Jess Phillips, there are probably others. I don’t know enough about Miller to say if she’s quite in this class but certainly the profile seems way out of proportion to her actual political abilities, and her priorities clearly skew the same way.

The left is not good at selling itself and its ideas, or rightly attacking, smearing, shaming the right.

...if you think that you had austerity you should have live in Portugal or Greece after the crash…

...It was severe, but childs play in comparison with what people had to live through in Portugal, where I lived at the time, or Greece.

Gosh! Come, now, Tuga, you know perfectly well that the ClubMed austerity debacle was entirely the fault of the fecklessness of Greeks. And Latins, etc. They brought it upon themselves.

Democracy in the UK – with Gina Miller
JANUARY 26TH, 2023 | 36:59 | S8:E3

EPISODE SUMMARY
This week we have a special episode looking at democracy in the UK today, not with one of our academic colleagues, but with the leader of a UK political party.

EPISODE NOTES
Regular listeners know that normally on this podcast we have conversations with our academic colleagues here at UCL. But this week we’re doing something a little bit different. In the first of what we hope will be an occasional series of episodes with real-world political actors, we’re discussing the state of democracy in the UK today – and what can be done about it – with the leader of a UK political party.

That party is the True and Fair Party. And its leader is Gina Miller.

https://ucl-uncovering-politics.simplecast.com/episodes/democracy-in-the-uk-with-gina-miller

Gosh! Come, now, Tuga, you know perfectly well that the ClubMed austerity debacle was entirely the fault of the fecklessness of Greeks. And Latins, etc. They brought it upon themselves.

What do we do with all this money, say some? How can we get a slice of the cake, say others?

advertisement

Back