advertisement

In praise of Gina Miller

That's exactly the sort of language which isn't helping at the moment.

Helping who, you? You make my point for me; when people remain polite in the face of far right extremism-they lose, they always lose.
Brexit is certainly a tipping point issue and what I've seen so far is BJ and his crew inflaming the situation and empowering Brexiteers prepared to use violence and intimidation-it is that faction that I'm saying needs to be forcefully confronted.

I think that you have too much faith in information and .
in education
BREXIT is now raw gut; because the will of the people; because we won. Do you really believe you that we can convince the "beast" that they have been misled and are wrong?
And would you ban tabloids and call-in radio shows?
Would you silence Brexiter politicians?

You may be correct to assume that 'information and education' won't be sufficient given that nowdays many are determined 'believers' in nonsense and not open to real data, etc. But I hope you are wrong and they may be a valuable way to combat conflated ignorance.

No, I'd not 'ban' tabloids. But I would ensure a wider remit and enforcement on the application of the kinds of rules which have applied for years during general elections wrt propaganda. The key weakness here in recent years hasn't been the printed media. It has been the 'weaponisation' of farcebook, twitter, etc. i.e. paying both 'net' companies and others like Cambridge Analytica to generate floods of b00l0x targeted to trigger the biases of individuals, out of sight of others. That exploited the data-collection which the big media companies have hoovered up on their millions of users.

Such 'messages' should be scrutinisable by the same people who oversee the approval of ads and material paid for by parties, or banned if they don't come from a registered party in the UK. Allowing troll factories and falsehood farms paid for by Putin or the alt-right is the problem we need to address.

One change I would like to see if for mainstream media like the BBC to switch focus from simply reporting all events as 'News' towards searching out and debinking the c00blers issued via farcebook, twitter, etc. It would also probably help if the BBC put more effort into exposing where the funding for all the politicians and their shills came from. All too often it is weathly people outwith the UK. All too often the politicians, tabliod editors, etc, also dodge tax and keep their wealth outside the UK, hide it via shell companies, etc. In a democracy exposure of this really should be as routine on the BBC as it is in PE. So where is it?

In effect, 'bad guys' have been using these net mechanisms against us, and against democracy. That's something we can *all* raise as an issue and seek to challenge or debunk, and demand that Government also do so.

Politicians can say what they choose. But the challenge then needs to be more that the shallow bickering on 'Today' or 'Question Time'. It requires factually and rationally based dissection at length being widely available.

It may be that none of this works. But given the alternative, it seems worth trying. I tend to think that sunlight is the best disinfectant. But people do need to see it.

Helping who, you? You make my point for me; when people remain polite in the face of far right extremism-they lose, they always lose.
Brexit is certainly a tipping point issue and what I've seen so far is BJ and his crew inflaming the situation and empowering Brexiteers prepared to use violence and intimidation-it is that faction that I'm saying needs to be forcefully confronted.
But this government has already made noises about invoking the Civil Contingencies Act - a very dangerous piece of legislation. We have to hope Parliament holds firm against that.

I can’t recall the details, but there was a celebrated legal case where various women had broken into, IIRC, a British Aerospace plant, and caused criminal damage to military equipment. They were acquitted because the court upheld their defence that they genuinely believed their actions to be in the greater good. It seems to me, such a defence might be called upon again.

Gina Miller: Anti-Brexit activist ‘abused by strangers’ while out with young daughter

Gina Miller, the anti-Brexit activist who challenged Boris Johnson‘s prorogation of parliament, has spoken out about being subjected to “disturbing” verbal abuse while out in public with her young daughter.

Ms Miller, a businesswoman who led one of two cases against the government, said she was recognised in the street on the day after the Supreme Court ruled the prime minister’s decision was unlawful.

“People were stopping in their cars and rolling their windows down, calling me ‘traitor’ and saying: ‘There’s a lamppost over there’,” she told The Times.

“And you just think, it’s extraordinary. You know, I’m with my child and that’s disturbing.”

In 2017, Ms Miller successfully argued the government could not begin the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union without a vote in parliament permitting it to do so.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ghter-prorogation-supreme-court-a9126056.html

I didn't know Gina Miller had started a party:

Gina%20Miller%20poster%20(1).jpg

https://trueandfairparty.uk

I like Gina Miller. She talks a heck of a lot of sense and did a lot of very good things from a pressure-group/legal perspective in speaking real truth to power, but I really don’t think a new party is the way forward at all. She’d be far more effective continuing as a campaigner, or even by joining the Greens or LDs, but a new party will achieve nothing in this rotten polarised political culture beyond splitting a few votes away from other existing progressive entities. To be honest I think Good Law Project would be the ideal place for her. A missed opportunity there.

Yeh, she's a real middle class warriior. An abslute martyr to Globalism. **** governments, international business interests come first!

I like Gina Miller. She talks a heck of a lot of sense and did a lot of very good things from a pressure-group/legal perspective in speaking real truth to power, but I really don’t think a new party is the way forward at all. She’d be far more effective continuing as a campaigner, or even by joining the Greens or LDs, but a new party will achieve nothing in this rotten polarised political culture beyond splitting a few votes away from other existing progressive entities. To be honest I think Good Law Project would be the ideal place for her. A missed opportunity there.

I had that exact same feeling (that she should have joined the Greens).

On a side note, judging by the number of poster the Green Party seems to be leading in my neighbourhood for Thursday's local election.

She managed to rub some very wealthy public school elite’s noses in their mess a couple of times though, so good on her. It is more than most of us achieve.

And did so at no small personal cost. She upset an awful lot of racist misogynist knuckle-draggers who didn't like seeing an intelligent black woman holding the Brexit government to account.

“Four days after I won my Brexit challenge Viscount Philipps offered a bounty on Facebook of £5000 for the ‘first person to ‘accidentally’ run over this troublesome first generation immigrant’. Describing me a ‘boat jumper he added ‘if this is what we should expect from immigrants send them back to their stinking jungle’”

http://clok.uclan.ac.uk/24492/1/section ASM book Gina Miller trolling.pdf

Viscount Philipps (declared bankrupt three times, convictions for financial shenanigans, also holds the title Baron Strange!) was convicted and sentenced to 12 weeks.

The PDF above is a chapter from the book Anti-Social Media?: The Impact on Journalism and Society and details some of the abuse Miller received on social media. I decided against repeating it here as a lot of it really is nasty.

And did so at no small personal cost. She upset an awful lot of racist misogynist knuckle-draggers who didn't like seeing an intelligent black woman holding the Brexit government to account.

Agreed. I’ve nothing but respect for her. One of very few prepared to really stand firm in the face fascism whatever the personal cost and place the hideous abuse and death/rape threats she received under a spotlight of real scrutiny. I really hope she ends up in a high-profile public/political role as we need all the people like her we can find. If she stood as a local MP I’d unquestionably vote for her, but I do think that is a waste of her talent. There is another better role somewhere. As I said I’d love to see her join forces with Good Law Project. That would be a perfect match IMHO.

On a side note, judging by the number of poster the Green Party seems to be leading in my neighbourhood for Thursday's local election.

Based on the number of posters round our way only two or thee people are even going to vote.

We got phoned up and told we don't need to attend, as our Plaid candidate is standing unopposed.

It can't be pointed out too often that Miller prioritised stopping Corbyn over stopping Brexit. If you asked her to go back and choose between a left wing Labour government and hard Brexit led by Boris Johnson she would, once again, choose the latter.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lon...-s-corbyn-fear-behind-legal-bid-a4065706.html

I don't doubt her personal commitment to her cause, and it's admirable in a way, but those are her priorities and her politics.

She's nothing but a self serving business woman looking to support her own financial interests, that they temporarily aligned aligned with what was right minded about brexit doesn't make her a Saint.

advertisement

Back