advertisement

In praise of Gina Miller

It might be for the best that she remains independent. Party politics are too large a morsel for a person of integrity.
The current UN secretary general gave up his post as Prime Minister because he wasn't strong enough to face the greedy pressure from inside his party.

Agreed, what is in it for her? She’s already a highly successful businesswoman and she’s now pwned repugnant, destructive and dishonest government multiple times in a way the official opposition has failed to, all whilst retaining 100% integrity.

In fairness. the Supreme Court appeal also was prompted by the Scottish decision being appealed. However, yes, she has (repeatedly) done a good service for the UK despite some nasty attacks on her as a result.

My main recollection of the case was when I watched the judgement, live, and I went 'Wow!" *twice* when it was stated that the judgements was *unanimous* for all 11 judges (the maximum number allowed to sit on a case)! No wriggle room there!

Needless to say, today the Government's legal eagle (sic) has been blustering and hand-waving in the HoC to smokescreen his failures. No shame at all.

Agreed, what is in it for her? She’s already a highly successful businesswoman and she’s now pwned repugnant, destructive and dishonest government multiple times in a way the official opposition has failed to, all whilst retaining 100% integrity.

Well the opposition *has* passed a law forbidding a no-deal crashout. Their problem is that they can't find a way to force BlowJo to do as required.

More generally, their problem is that individual MPs *and* their constituents have a range of views. If you wish a Party to be 'democractic' then that means MPs have to take that, individually, into account and not vote a party line on every issue. The result is then mixed because *views* are mixed, and MPs are meant to be working for their *constituents*. Regardless of if you or I happen to like those views in some cases.

BTW I've now seen more reports about the Brexit Party starting to stoke up campaigning for 'direct democracy' and having a 'leader' given the power to simply ignore Parliament - and ignore any court rulings. We should be aware that this is a much bigger threat to genuine democracy than arguments about Brexit. For them Brexit is a means unto their real end aims.

BTW I've now seen more reports about the Brexit Party starting to stoke up campaigning for 'direct democracy' and having a 'leader' given the power to simply ignore Parliament - and ignore any court rulings. We should be aware that this is a much bigger threat to genuine democracy than arguments about Brexit. For them Brexit is a means unto their real end aims.

The parallels in the BBC series Rise Of the Nazis are chilling. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00084tb/rise-of-the-nazis-series-1-1-politics

Both Farage and Johnson are power-mad would-be dictators. They and the racist and nationalist Brexit movement they head need to be beaten on every level.

Jack

More generally, their problem is that individual MPs *and* their constituents have a range of views. If you wish a Party to be 'democractic' then that means MPs have to take that, individually, into account and not vote a party line on every issue. The result is then mixed because *views* are mixed, and MPs are meant to be working for their *constituents*. Regardless of if you or I happen to like those views in some cases.
Very much so. No more so than in my constituency. The MP (Con) has a majority of 300 over Lab. The next party (Lib) polled only 1000, I suspect he lost his deposit. It was also 51% remain, the MP is pro leave. You couldn't find a more 50-50 split in every respect. In addition the MP is a campaigner for gay rights, gay marriage, he is himself gay. I bet that divides his constituents, especially the older conservatives.

W I've now seen more reports about the Brexit Party starting to stoke up campaigning for 'direct democracy' and having a 'leader' given the power to simply ignore Parliament - and ignore any court rulings. We should be aware that this is a much bigger threat to genuine democracy than arguments about Brexit. For them Brexit is a means unto their real end aims.
Well, the genie is out of the bottle now. Let's start asking the public. Capital punishment? You know the answer. Shortly after that it's bring back the birch. We'll work up to repatriation of foreigners, deporting of Muslims, and maybe the gays later. Let's see what the public say after the super soaraway Sun has softened them up. Want to bet on the outcome?

I’ve never been in the slightest doubt that Nigel Farage is exactly what fascism looks like. Give him the slightest chance and things will get real ugly real fast. In fact he’s pretty much destroyed the country already without getting anywhere near parliament.

The parallels in the BBC series Rise Of the Nazis are chilling. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00084tb/rise-of-the-nazis-series-1-1-politics

Both Farage and Johnson are power-mad would-be dictators. They and the racist and nationalist Brexit movement they head need to be beaten on every level.

Jack
Trouble is just like Germany where oppositional powers were more than capable of crushing them had they mobilised in time, unless the fight against them is taken to the streets they'll walk into power.

I’ve never been in the slightest doubt that Nigel Farage is exactly what fascism looks like. Give him the slightest chance and things will get real ugly real fast. In fact he’s pretty much destroyed the country already without getting anywhere near parliament.

The problem isn't Farage. It is the people funding and backing him and others. Including BloJo and his chums. Note for example how many owners of 'tabloid' newspapers (sic) are non-doms, tax exiles, etc.

If people haven't already read it, I recommend some of the books by Paul Mason. In particular "Clear Bright Future" to see the bigger picture here. It isn't just in the UK, either.

As I've said before: We won't put out this fire by simply 'stopping Brexit' as per the LD headlining. Doing that *feeds* the beast those behind them want to arouse. The way forwards is to have a well informed and clearly defined second referendum, and when doing so control / scrutinise / expose more effectively the way 'social media' were gamed last time to propagandise beyond the control of normal election processes.

Trouble is just like Germany where oppositional powers were more than capable of crushing them had they mobilised in time, unless the fight against them is taken to the streets they'll walk into power.

The Nazis engineered insurrection on the streets in order to have Martial law imposed that was the end game once that happened they were in control.

I said this on the other thread the other day, Johnston will try to by-pass parliament by engineering insurrection on the streets he already has talked about the London mayor not employing enough police officers so he's obviously thinking that if things do get nasty then he'll send in the troops.

Personally I think we're heading for a full on coup-de-tat.

The Nazis engineered insurrection on the streets in order to have Martial law imposed that was the end game once that happened they were in control.

I said this on the other thread the other day, Johnston will try to by-pass parliament by engineering insurrection on the streets he already has talked about the London mayor not employing enough police officers so he's obviously thinking that if things do get nasty then he'll send in the troops.

Personally I think we're heading for a full on coup-de-tat.
The difference was the insurrection was all Nazi-I'm calling for full on confrontation, beat the living shite out of them, terrify them, drive them out of wherever they raise their heads(like we did in Liverpool). Not perhaps what many in polite liberal society would want to endorse or condone while choosing their autumn underpants but unfortunately it's what it's going to take.IMHO.

The way forwards is to have a well informed and clearly defined second referendum, and when doing so control / scrutinise / expose more effectively the way 'social media' were gamed last time to propagandise beyond the control of normal election processes.

I think that you have too much faith in information and .
in education
BREXIT is now raw gut; because the will of the people; because we won. Do you really believe you that we can convince the "beast" that they have been misled and are wrong?
And would you ban tabloids and call-in radio shows?
Would you silence Brexiter politicians?

The difference was the insurrection was all Nazi-I'm calling for full on confrontation, beat the living shite out of them, terrify them, drive them out of wherever they raise their heads(like we did in Liverpool). Not perhaps what many in polite liberal society would want to endorse or condone while choosing their autumn underpants but unfortunately it's what it's going to take.IMHO.

That's exactly the sort of language which isn't helping at the moment.

advertisement

Back