advertisement

Iconic Turntables

I think the Gyrodec is a stunning piece of design and have always quite fancied one. But I pointed one out to my OH as we were passing a hi-fi shop last week and got a decidedly lukewarm response. She said she prefers the look of my Lenco...
Having recently bought an unmolested 50 year old GL75 that just needed a new stylus and cartridge tags before it was happy playing a record remarkably well, I would say that if the giant mutant cockroaches that will inevitably supercede our species ever want to listen to my Nuclear Assault records, they will probably have to do so on a Lenco.

1-DSC00068-002.jpg

:cool:😪🥴😍

I'd agree with most of the suggestions already made, and support the consensus that the SL1200/ 1210 is true cultural icon, in a league of its own. From an enthusiast's perspective, I'd add the earlier versions of the Oracle and also the Technics SP10 MK2.

For me, there are only 2 iconic turntables.

Without a doubt, the 1200 is the most iconic of all, bar none.

For those with a bit of audiophile inclination, it would be the LP12.

These two are so far ahead of all other tables. We may have our own preferences as to which are the most beautiful or cool or high performance or innovative but sorry they don't count.

For audiophiles it has to be the rega planar 3, and for the rest of the world maybe it's the technics sl1210.

These two are so far ahead of all other tables. We may have our own preferences as to which are the most beautiful or cool or high performance or innovative but sorry they don't count.
Hard to argue that, and with the Rega Planar (any version) being next.

I've never personally actually heard or even seen a 1200 in an "audiophile" system though!

As much as I love the LP12, most people on the street have no idea what it is and have never seen one. Only the Technics has crossed over from the enthusiast world and roams free in the general perception.

As much as I love the LP12, most people on the street have no idea what it is and have never seen one. Only the Technics has crossed over from the enthusiast world and roams free in the general perception.
As a DJ turntable, yes (although I suspect many people won't really know what DJ's use, I certainly didn't back in the days I went to clubs) - not so much as a home turntable though. I suspect more people will have seem an LP12 in domestic use that will have seen a 1200 outside of clubs etc.

Last edited:
As a DJ turntable, yes (although I suspect many people won't really know what DJ's use, I certainly didn't back in the days I went to clubs) - not so much as a home turntable though. I suspect more people will have seem an LP12 in domestic use that will have seem a 1200 outside of clubs etc.
I saw 1200s in clubs. I never saw one in home system but I never saw an LP12 either. I didn't know what an LP12 was until I started reading hi-fi mags. I can guarantee that none of my friends had seen even a picture of an LP12 but every one of them had seen a 1200.

As a DJ turntable, yes (although I suspect many people won't really know what DJ's use, I certainly didn't back in the days I went to clubs) - not so much as a home turntable though.
3.5 million 1200s sold. They're far more common than fruit boxes. I know loads of people with a Technics in their living room. Struggling to think of anyone I know in real life who has the Scottish turntable.

Way back in the days some used Goldring Lenco idler drives!

Studio 54 used TD-125s, which I’d have thought were the least suitable decks imaginable given they have a bouncy suspended subchassis snd very limited pitch-adjust. A Lenco makes sense as it is solid and has very wide pitch adjustment, a good DJ could (with practice as it is less precise and slower-acting than a Technics) beat-match on a Lenco!

The classic reggae soundsystem deck was the Garrard 4HF. Made sense as they were solid, reliable and not expensive. No pitch adjust, but an iconic deck of that culture. That being why they are worth good money now. Lencos were widely used here too.

Studio 54 used TD-125s, which I’d have thought were the least suitable decks imaginable given they have a bouncy suspended subchassis snd very limited pitch-adjust.
Paradise Garage too.

3.5 million 1200s sold. They're far more common than fruit boxes. I know loads of people with a Technics in their living room. Struggling to think of anyone I know in real life who has the Scottish turntable.
Interesting. It's the opposite with me - I've never seen a 1200 in a domestic situation but I know quite a few folks with LP12's (maybe that's because I'm in Scotland). I know a lot more with Rega or Project turntables though.

Paradise Garage too.

Amazing using ultra-low-mass Infinity Black Widow tonearms too! Stanton carts, would be interesting to know which ones as the ones naturally paired with the Black Widow would be very high-compliance and low VTF. I’d expect jumps and skips all over the place, but they must have got it to work somehow! I wonder if they locked the 125 suspension out somehow?

Interesting. It's the opposite with me - I've never seen a 1200 in a domestic situation but I know quite a few folks with LP12's (maybe that's because I'm in Scotland). I know a lot more with Rega or Project turntables though.

I suspect there is a generational difference. Those of us who started out in the ‘70s and 80s are less likely to own a SL1200 than those who started out more recently. The decline of high street hi-fi shops will be a factor too. An SL1200 can be found at any pro-audio/music shop or online, no need to venture into often alienating and expensive boutique hi-fi shops.

advertisement

Back