advertisement

Iconic Turntables

The same is true of all the turntables mentioned here, including the 1200. None of them are "iconic", unless you're limiting the application of that term to hifi or music nerds like us.

A fraction of a percentage of the population would be able to tell you what a "Technics 1200" was if you asked them, let alone anything else.
But I'm sure if you asked them to point out which decks they recognised from a line-up the 1200 would come out tops.

But I'm sure if you asked them to point out which decks they recognised from a line-up the 1200 would come out tops.

I have had pretty decent systems for over 50 years now and I couldn't pick a Technics 1200 out from a line with only a 1200 in it. Their unbiquity is overstated here I feel.

Love this talk about most recognizable turntable. The BSR was it in the 1960’s and 70’s! This model may have been my first turntable.
adee520d5926a44bddb3fd740abd26a6.jpg
In 1957, BSR, also known by the name BSR McDonald, became a public company which by 1961 had grown to employ 2,600. It supplied turntables and autochangers to many of the world’s record player manufacturers, eventually gaining 87% of the market. The company also manufactured their own brand of player, the Monarch automatic record changer, which could select and play 7", 10" and 12" records at 16, 331⁄3, 45 or 78 rpm, automatically intermixing differing disc sizes, although the speed had to be changed manually.[2] By 1977, BSR's factories were producing over 250,000 units a week; the majority of record changers installed in console stereos and bookshelf stereo systems during this era were manufactured by BSR.

This was iconic to me...
Ah bought this, a Wharfedale receiver and a pair of Wharfedale Dentons for around £20 less than this guy wants for the turntable alone...:cool:

I think iconic has to be explained a little more. I suspect the average Joe/Jo doesn't think any record players are iconic and why would they? Iconic on this forum is easier to define.

I think some of us here are living in a bubble.

The Technics 1200 is the closest thing to iconic to the general public. Anyone who has spent time in dance clubs, around DJs or who aspires to be one will be familiar with it. People who are seriously into hip hop or 'turntablism' will be familiar with it. This turntable (or its clones) is fundamental to the development of the scene and music.

I don't think you can say the same for any other turntable.

I agree, Mr Joe average is unlikely to know what an LP12 is. If you asked on the street what a LP12 is most wouldn't have a clue.

It might be age dependent. Just about everyone over 20 would recognise it as a record player, Shirley. OTOH I have a 14 year old niece who didn't know what a tape cassette was until not that long ago!

What does iconic mean?

Most unusual looking?
Nicest looking to me?
The most easily recognisable by most people?
The commonest?
The archetype?

It might be age dependent. Just about everyone over 20 would recognise it as a record player, Shirley. OTOH I have a 14 year old niece who didn't know what a tape cassette was until not that long ago!
Yes, but if purely asked what is an LP12 or even by it's full name a Linn Sondek LP12 without such a picture I think many would give you some strange looks. I doubt they would even heard of the Company or how to spell it.

What does iconic mean?

Most unusual looking?
Nicest looking to me?
The most easily recognisable by most people?
The commonest?
The archetype?
Regarding a turntable, "iconic" means that the turntable is highly regarded, well-known, and often seen as a classic or significant model in the history of audio equipment. An iconic turntable is typically recognized for its superior design, build quality, performance, and influence on the development of turntable technology. It might also have a notable presence in popular culture or a strong reputation among audiophiles and music enthusiasts. Examples of iconic turntables include models like the Technics SL-1200 series or the Linn Sondek LP12. Chat GBT

advertisement

Back