advertisement

Iconic Turntables

I'd have thought the main barrier to the 1200's being an intro table is cost - just checked and Richard Sounds have them for £819 and it looks like you'd need £500 to get a useable one from Ebay.

It's likely a reason I haven't seen or heard one (or bought one) in a domestic situation. I've no idea what they sound like in a home system where as I do with the likes of the LP12, Rega's and Projects.

I'd have thought the main barrier to the 1200's being an intro table is cost - just checked and Richard Sounds have them for £819 and it looks like you'd need £500 to get a useable one from Ebay.
They were always an expensive bit of kit but just about affordable. When I bought mine for £400 it was a big purchase but I figured they're built to last and I'll never have a problem finding parts if it needs a service.

Before they stopped making them there were always loads of second hand decks available. When I moved to Tokyo 15 years ago I bought a 1200 from Hi-Fi Do for about £150 (and sold it for about the same when I came home). They shot up in value when they went out of production and were a lot more expensive when they started making them again.

They were always an expensive bit of kit but just about affordable. When I bought mine for £400 it was a big purchase but I figured they're built to last and I'll never have a problem finding parts if it needs a service.

Before they stopped making them there were always loads of second hand decks available. When I moved to Tokyo 15 years ago I bought a 1200 from Hi-Fi Do for about £150 (and sold it for about the same when I came home). They shot up in value when they went out of production and were a lot more expensive when they started making them again.
If a decent one could be had for £250 2nd hand I'd probably have bought one for now to try. That'd still be about the same as the 2 recent turntable purchases together though (a Project Debut III and a Goldring GR1, which is effectively a P2 I think).

At £500 2nd hand or £800+ new I'd likely go with what I know and either buy a more upmarket Rega or (more likely) another LP12 (like the one Colin is currently selling).

Probably something similar to the HMV wind up gramophone or a B and O Turntable for the general public.
For members of this forum and other similar ones see the answers above for the likely candidates, with the caveat that this could depend on the country in which you live.

And then there's hip-hop. You can't watch an 80s rap video without seeing a 1200.

Which is as good an excuse as any to repost a fourteen year old Roxanne Shante rocking the mic...
He wears a Kangol, and that is true
But he ain't got money, and he ain't got the loot

Eric B is unmoved by Roxanne’s outrageous diss…

Save it, put it in your pocket for later
'Cause I'm movin' the crowd, and B'll wreck the fader

Growing up in a mostly Technics house, I remember their brochures having loads of turntables (one here), all overlooked by the British hifi press, ofc.

It's a great track but imagine what it could have been if they'd used LP12s.

I was going to say Technics SP10 as it has to be one of the most listened to turntables as there were so many used in radio broadcast stations, so lots of people listened to them !

Growing up in a mostly Technics house, I remember their brochures having loads of turntables (one here), all overlooked by the British hifi press, ofc.
Lovely brochure

I used to love the aesthetic of the Gyrodec, owned an LP12 a couple of times but want to add the townshend rock as the left field choice. Several of the Rega's over the years have moved the needle at different price points as well.

I agree, Mr Joe average is unlikely to know what an LP12 is. If you asked on the street what a LP12 is most wouldn't have a clue.

The same is true of all the turntables mentioned here, including the 1200. None of them are "iconic", unless you're limiting the application of that term to hifi or music nerds like us.

A fraction of a percentage of the population would be able to tell you what a "Technics 1200" was if you asked them, let alone anything else.

The same is true of all the turntables mentioned here, including the 1200. None of them are "iconic", unless you're limiting the application of that term to hifi or music nerds like us.
I disagree and that's what sets the 1200 apart. That turntable is so ubiquitous it is thought of as representing what a quality turntable is to many people who know nothing about hi-fi.

advertisement

Back