advertisement

Hypex Ncore - as good as all that?

SEN would represent a particular challenge in my system as I use both the balanced and SE outputs from my Legato. That would need to be addressed before I got too excited about the FET circuit, but if the sonic gains are there...

Sen is very different to Legato I believe it's worth a try.

Sen build is now an easy perf board job since Zen told /sold cubaesic dual fet heat sinks rather than the rare quad heatsink I had. Seems to me just glueing fet pairs to a piece of coper would be fine.

Some cheap 9 volt batteries will give a few hours of testing so principle cost is the 16 matched fets, or just 8 if you do the single ended cheat.

Sen is very different to Legato I believe it's worth a try.

Sen build is now an easy perf board job since Zen told /sold cubaesic dual fet heat sinks rather than the rare quad heatsink I had. Seems to me just glueing fet pairs to a piece of coper would be fine.

Some cheap 9 volt batteries will give a few hours of testing so principle cost is the 16 matched fets, or just 8 if you do the single ended cheat.

Ah, that's a good tip - I have some heat transfer epoxy in the manlab.

The wrinkle in my set up is I use both balanced and single-ended outputs from the Legato. The balanced outs are rolled off prior to the ncores with a filter knee around 180hz, single order. This stops destructive levels of low frequency signal reaching my Markaudio widerange OBs.

The SE outs are passed to a dsp which I use to create the low frequency signal to power (via UCDs) my TL bass speakers. This way I get level, extension and room eq for the bass (otherwise I have a nasty room mode at aboout 90hz).

With a SEN I need to figure the best way to recreate that split.

First step - get some FETs.

Well I often change my Sen from se to ballanced to se etc using just hot and gnd for se. But never both at the same time :D

Can't readily see a reason why not though.
Could you no experiment by using hot and gnd from the Legato ballanced output for your se

Well I often change my Sen from se to ballanced to se etc using just hot and gnd for se. But never both at the same time :D

Can't readily see a reason why not though.
Could you no experiment by using hot and gnd from the Legato ballanced output for your se

We're swinging this thread away from the nCore topic, so I'll post in the SEN thread...

Well just completely read the diya thread.

5788 posts and not a lot to report, little technical over there but then again nCore is plug and play. Most non starters were due to not reading the manual, mainly nAmpon not grounded, No one seemed to be able to smoke a module and there were a few first-time diy guys.
Seems robust and well received, now on version 3 I understand.

Quite a few hi end firms using the oem version which seem around 10,000 USD a pair.

I think I deserve a drink after that lot :D

Tony

I'm sure counselling is available in your area if required.

Now you have to go over to Audio Circle and read the Listening Tour thread on JTWRace's early pair of amps. Only then will you be in a position to make that decision...

Or - the quick summary: Lots of guys listened, a few nit-picked against their favourite toobs, a few dismissed ncore for not being the amps they'd spent their kids' college fund on.

But most heard a great performing, relatively inexpensive highend amp and said so. Many put their money where their mouths were (and indeed in most cases, still are).

Unless you fancy tackling a fancy linear PSU, there are no real technical challenges beyond housing the modules. The SMPS are well engineered and up to the job.

Mark

Yes Mark I agree with your summery, I did follow all the links from the DIYA thread and so read the Audio Circle tour.

Putting the diy nCore in to a price context it is around the price I paid for my NAP150 many many years ago and that is a poor amplifier by diy standards,

Or considering that my mono HackerNAPs must have cost towards the thick end of 1k altogether although I am unsure of what the mono HackerNAP cost.

Anyone know what a HackerNAP actually costs?

Probably went something like
Transformer £110
Main Hackercap with Kendeil 6800uF and Qspeeds £65
Front end HAckercap Tsup and Qspeeds £35
HackerNAP £110
Speaker protection boards £20
So thats around the £700 mark.

And the OEM nCore module high end versions retail for around 10000USD, some seem to have linear supplies probably just because 10k hi end amps have to have some weight :D and they all have exquisite casework.

2 NC400 EUR 325,00
2 SMPS600 EUR 180,00
Subtotal: EUR 1.010,00
Shipping (UPS Standard): EUR 23,97
Payment (Bank transfer): EUR 0,00
VAT: EUR 217,13
Total: EUR 1.251,10

Thats around £1028 a pair or £1069 if paying by credit card.

Just wondering if its worthwhile paying the credit card surcharge £41 for 'extra security'

There will be some currency conversion charge somewhere?

Regards
Tony

Bemused/Tony, the banks will ____ you on currency conversion one way or another. So pay via Bank Transfer and double check the details. They'll need a poke once in a while to check the transfer arrived, they seemed to have missed mine at first (!).

Bemused/Tony, the banks will ____ you on currency conversion one way or another. So pay via Bank Transfer and double check the details. They'll need a poke once in a while to check the transfer arrived, they seemed to have missed mine at first (!).

Thanks, but there is no insurance against failure to arrive / lost / broken in transit with bank transfer like there is with a credit card?????
1K is a thick wedge not to have insured adequately...

Thanks, but there is no insurance against failure to arrive / lost / broken in transit with bank transfer like there is with a credit card?????
1K is a thick wedge not to have insured adequately...

You should have a two year warranty on the modules, so any defect or non-arrived item would be covered by this. I don´t think that hypex would ship 1,3k worth of modules uninsured and untracked.

I don't recall what courier Hypex used to ship mine but they were tracked and signed for.

I paid with my credit card then cleared it from bank funds, so got the benefits without the extortionate interest charges.

Or, if you have a couple of days spare holiday, jump in the car, tootle across the channel and pick em up in person, maybe meet his nibs and cadge a listen to some of his other gear...

Could be a fun idea nipping across and collecting but my only holidays are Christmas so I would have to wait another year :)

Yes I think I will use the added security of a credit card, is about forty quid for my piece of mind.

Sounds like I am going to push the button doesn't it, this last line is more me speaking to myself :D:D:D

Could be a fun idea nipping across and collecting but my only holidays are Christmas so I would have to wait another year :)

Yes I think I will use the added security of a credit card, is about forty quid for my piece of mind.

Sounds like I am going to push the button doesn't it, this last line is more me speaking to myself :D:D:D

Do it!

If you came to sell them on once built I am sure you would get your costs back. Thats if you dont like them or create something better sounding for less money.

Sam

Dare I suggest we need to sort-out a PFM southwest play-day?

MarkW has the Hypex old and new (and what I've heard sounds great) and may be amenable to suffer more of my coffee (he's polite like that, and we've yet to try the nCores into my H2s...). I can supply space and and pair of speakers / some more conventional amps. Sam I don't think you're a million miles away from Brissol/Bath - and that leaves you Tony ..?

Just a thought I'd be happy to host :D

I am just north of Bristol. Got a soverign DC+ Mdac, stock HackerNap, an upgraded HackerNap (just the suggested tweaks) and an LM4780 I can offer up for a play day. Could also lay my hands on an XTZ room analyzer, and if Dad is visiting a pair of Ergo IX could be added to the fray.. But that might overcomplicate things. Good source, HackerNap (as its something a lot of people can relate to) and the Ncores would be an interesting listen.

But yes, sometime early next year lets do something. Be good to meet some of you in person as well.

Sam

I've got some old bits of s**t knocking about that might be worth a listen too....I'd even bring some biscuits and maybe a nice cake...:)

I am very tempted by these... Would love to cme over from wiltshire to have a listen if the get-together takes place in early Jan.

advertisement

Back