advertisement

Hypex Ncore - as good as all that?

I wonder what the Ncores would be like powered by an ordinary PSU like a hackerCAP?

Some guys had problems with linear supplies over on the DIYA thread, there again some guys had problems with linear supplies on Sen.

You would have to be cautious as nCore will deliver current back up to the supply.

I believe more could be had elsewhere by easier means.

Further experimentation here shows that nCore character seems to depend entirely on the signal. I have not been able to find a "signature" to its sound yet.

But I can't get passed the idea of a decent pair of three ways actively amped with these N-cores.

Any thoughts on my silliness?

The amps are the least of your problems. How are you planning to do the crossover?

Markus,

That is an interesting comment....Mr Walker's straight wire with gain?

I am thinking that the balanced output of my MDAC might work well with these....

Jo

Yes I also agree the nCores have no sound signature, they pretty much only apply gain, and with my Sen they are even better in a balanced connection.

Markus,

That is an interesting comment....Mr Walker's straight wire with gain?

I am thinking that the balanced output of my MDAC might work well with these....

Jo

MDAC + NCores is a good combo. Used to own one. Depending on your speaker's sensitivity you might want to remove the R141 to get the MDAC closer to its sweet zone (-25db upwards). This halves gain to about 13db.

I took delivery of some small boxes.

20130604_095139.jpg

Tiny and no weight to them

20130604_095520.jpg

Ncore

20130604_100040.jpg

SMPS
Not sure what the white connector/black cable does (some kind of ic control), not used.

I only bought one smps for now so needed to make a 'Y' connection from cables supplied.

Soldering the cables together

20130604_133445.jpg

20130604_133505.jpg

20130604_133847.jpg

checking alignment

20130604_135605.jpg

20130604_143449.jpg

Ok, so at the moment I probably have the worst looking ncore amp on the planet. I ran out of money and used an old sandbox speaker platform I had. Its really crap but does the job for the moment. The ncores are sitting on some heatsinks above the mdf. It is currently not safe (earthed) ! and I am very aware of this it is just for testing purposes. I will be getting a new case soon, probably modushop galaxy 290x230 or equivalent.

20130604_205507.jpg

I have used dc caps because the balanced outputs from a Buffalo dacs Legato 3 IV stage is not liked by the ncore at all, even with circa 0.10-0.20 mv dc. It sorts the problem anyway. Maybe it makes a difference to SQ but it will be relatively minor.

Sounds very nice, a suitable replacement for a hackernap.
First impressions are are that it is extremely precise in all aspects.

I'm now eating a pork pie to celebrate.

Good stuff.

With a Buffalo/Legato you are pretty much bound to use coupling caps. Just stick some WIMA polyester 1uf jobbies in (you can afford to go a little smaller) and job done, still great musical result.

As I recall you are probably OK in a wooden case, regarding the earth arrangements. Some SMPS require a safety ground because they have nasty failure characteristics, but the Hypex ones are well designed.

Mark

Has anyone tried these into some Obelisks? I'm very curious. Also what ablout the newer NC1200? Isn't the NC400 supposed to be better, or does it depend on the application?

All sounds very interesting

As far as Im aware, the NC1200 is only available if you buy the Veritas and some other pre-manufactured amps (not DIY). They cost about 10 grand though. They use a slight different power supply and can put out about 350w in 8ohms vs the 200w of the nc400.

Sound differences are debated but the designer says they sound the same ignoring power ability.

SMPS600 is class 2 (double insulated) so providing the remainder of your install conforms to class 2 no protective earth is required.

Two quick tips:
Twist the power cables
change the speaker cables so both wires exit from between the terminals, and make sure the twist goes right to the board.

Not sure if the effect of this will be audible, but both are (pretty strong) recommendations from Hypex.

Enjoy the amps, they are pretty amazing.

As far as Im aware, the NC1200 is only available if you buy the Veritas and some other pre-manufactured amps (not DIY). They cost about 10 grand though. They use a slight different power supply and can put out about 350w in 8ohms vs the 200w of the nc400.

Sound differences are debated but the designer says they sound the same ignoring power ability.

OEM 1200s are supplied without a front end aren't they?

Yes as an options for oem, something like that, or lack of output stage for tailoring the sound with manufacturers own? ..

Thanks for the tips on twisting etc. This is no means the final case / layout and I will take on board.

Yes +1 on the output cables.
You need to reduce the loop area to an absolute minimum, the output inductor throws out large amounts of garbage.
Connect to the inside of the output terminals it really does matter. Any pickup here throws the benefit of an ultra low distortion amp out with the bath water.
I did do some prating around in this area and its a noisy part of the nCore.

FWIW : I found physically seperating the 2 amp channels and power supplies from one another (aka monoblock configuration) reaped a decent improvement in sound.

Admittedly I did have them sitting on a metal plate which might have contributed?

advertisement

Back