advertisement

HS2 - levelling up... LOL

I still believe in government funded large rail projects and also believe in HS2 as generally a good thing. Politically they should have started up north but I know why they didn't, all the hard stuff is at the Southern end, higher density of infrastructure and more expensive. It is relatively easier to just extend the line from Birmingham and Manchester to other cities.
All the more reason not to can the Northern end, surely?

I wonder what it would cost to create a tunnel from Hull to Liverpool, like a longer version of the channel tunnel? Stations at Hull, Leeds, Bradford, Manchester and Liverpool.

I ask this because if it's all underground there's a unified construction albeit what you're going through in the pennines will be different to the marshland west of Manc.

let hope they listen to Andy Street and save it ...

West Midlands Tory mayor Andy Street has said Rishi Sunak would be "cancelling the future" if he "gives up" on the Manchester leg of HS2.
It comes amid speculation that the prime minister is about to announce the axing of the high speed rail line.
Downing Street has insisted "no final decisions have been taken".
But Mr Street made an impassioned plea to the PM to "stay the course" or risk damaging the UK's international reputation "as a place to invest".
Reports a decision had been taken have been circulating at the Conservative party conference in Manchester.
At an impromptu press conference, Mr Street warned the PM: "You will be turning your back on an opportunity to level up - a once-in-a-generation opportunity."
He said he had been working on a new funding model for the project with more private sector involvement.
"We all know the costs are escalating well beyond the budget and indeed he is right to try to get a grip of this situation - I fully accept that.
"But gripping this situation means re-examining it, it does not mean giving up, admitting defeat you could say, or even, you could say, cancelling the future."

unions very upset about the situation ....

In their statement, the unions argued that cancelling the second leg from Birmingham to Manchester would undermine confidence in the UK's ability to undertake and complete large scale infrastructure projects.
They say economic benefits must not be squandered, and constant chopping and changing shows disregard for levelling up.
"The UK already trails much of Europe when it comes to high-speed rail infrastructure," the statement said.
"While the likes of Spain, France and Germany all have extensive high-speed rail networks, the UK has managed just 70 miles worth of track.
"We are being left behind and it's communities across the North and the Midlands that will pay the price."

The high-speed rail project is intended to link London, the Midlands and the north of England.
The first part, between west London and Birmingham, is already under construction.
But the scheme has already faced delays, cost increases and cuts. The planned eastern leg between Birmingham and Leeds was axed in late 2021.
TUC general secretary Paul Nowak told the BBC's Today programme that HS2 was a "key national infrastructure project" and was "too important to be treated as a political football".
He said a summit was needed to bring together HS2 contractors, unions, regional mayors and the government to discuss how to "get the project back on track".

Some, note the use of the word some, interesting chat between these pair. Probably not the most liked of individuals, but some of their insights to the financial and political take on HS2 is interesting.

(but then my English teacher told me not to read papers, or books that I knew I would agree with, at times read something that you know you'll disagree with; get the other view)

Much of their conclusion is that the priority should have been HS3, the cross pennine route, rather than HS2. And that if HS2 is canceled then HS3 will never be built.

unions very upset about the situation ....

In their statement, the unions argued that cancelling the second leg from Birmingham to Manchester would undermine confidence in the UK's ability to undertake and complete large scale infrastructure projects.
They say economic benefits must not be squandered, and constant chopping and changing shows disregard for levelling up.
"The UK already trails much of Europe when it comes to high-speed rail infrastructure," the statement said.
"While the likes of Spain, France and Germany all have extensive high-speed rail networks, the UK has managed just 70 miles worth of track.
"We are being left behind and it's communities across the North and the Midlands that will pay the price."

The high-speed rail project is intended to link London, the Midlands and the north of England.
The first part, between west London and Birmingham, is already under construction.
But the scheme has already faced delays, cost increases and cuts. The planned eastern leg between Birmingham and Leeds was axed in late 2021.
TUC general secretary Paul Nowak told the BBC's Today programme that HS2 was a "key national infrastructure project" and was "too important to be treated as a political football".
He said a summit was needed to bring together HS2 contractors, unions, regional mayors and the government to discuss how to "get the project back on track".

Spain has 2000 miles of high speed track. Germany 1700. We have 71.

World beating Britain!

HS2 will go to Manchester - but from Birmingham it will run on existing tracks

WTF? HS2 is not therefore going ahead is it? If this qualifies as going ahead the Birmingham to Manchester section is already built... well done the government. Done in an afternoon, not bad eh? :rolleyes:

Haha! You couldn't make it up...

JCRANav.png

let hope they listen to Andy Street and save it ...

West Midlands Tory mayor Andy Street has said Rishi Sunak would be "cancelling the future" if he "gives up" on the Manchester leg of HS2.
It comes amid speculation that the prime minister is about to announce the axing of the high speed rail line.
Downing Street has insisted "no final decisions have been taken".
But Mr Street made an impassioned plea to the PM to "stay the course" or risk damaging the UK's international reputation "as a place to invest".
Reports a decision had been taken have been circulating at the Conservative party conference in Manchester.
At an impromptu press conference, Mr Street warned the PM: "You will be turning your back on an opportunity to level up - a once-in-a-generation opportunity."
He said he had been working on a new funding model for the project with more private sector involvement.
"We all know the costs are escalating well beyond the budget and indeed he is right to try to get a grip of this situation - I fully accept that.
"But gripping this situation means re-examining it, it does not mean giving up, admitting defeat you could say, or even, you could say, cancelling the future."

We don't especially need high speed trains in the north. We will settle for fxxking trains. Any fxxking trains that work. I'm so reassured that the Birmingham to Manchester high speed link is going to use existing tracks and have trains that don't, er, travel at high speed. That's a solution then. Meanwhile passengers wanting to go anywhere from Bradford are going to do what? Get the bus to the end of my street and then borrow my bike?
We are hanging on about high speed trains when Italy has recently upgraded its cheapest, most basic trains to the point where they are better than most trains in the UK. It would be a joke if it weren't so utterly tragic.

Complete and utter fiasco from start to finish....other than the original Leeds and Manchester concept, which was and is sound IMHO.

What if we club together and buy a big Hornby train-set with lots and lots of extra track and then buy a shrinking machine to shrink all the people down so they fit on the trains?! A lot cheaper than normal size trains.

I know it sounds crazy, but it might just work!

iu
iu

Back to my earlier comments, who are all these additional people wanting to travel on these new, no doubt very expensive trains?
As I understand it the idea is to move express services to new HS2 track freeing up capacity for more local and commuters services on existing routes.

I can see how this would work. Our local line in South East London is severely constricted in the number of trains it can run on metropolitan routes by the need to also run longer commuter services from Kent.

Pro
Back to my earlier comments, who are all these additional people wanting to travel on these new, no doubt very expensive trains?
Probably the people who can’t get seats on the current trains and end up standing in the aisles for much of their journey. Or the people who can’t get the commuter trains they’d use if they were more frequent, but which can’t be increased because they need the same lines as the fast trains.

It’s basic business isn’t it? Spot demand and create capacity to fill the gap.

advertisement

Back