advertisement

How good is Well Tempered Simplex

how will the overhang of the well tempered simplex be adjusted?

WTL's philosophy is that you don't need to worry about overhang as much as some think. That being said, the mounting holes in the headshell allow a few degrees of adjustment and you can also adjust the position of the tonearm pivot point by a few mm in any direction. I cannot speak for all makes and models of cartridge, but the Hana and Dynavector cartridges I sell are pretty easy to fit and adjust using a suitable protractor.

When you turn the vinyl record, do you turn the Well off?
Or does that work well with the platter running.....

I have the Amadeus and can turn an LP with the platter spinning because the LP is slightly wider than the mat. If you’d rather not do that it only takes around half a rotation to stop from switch off.

Purchased my Simplex at start of pandemic which replaced an LP12. I'd also owned a SOTA and a Systemdek IIX prior. By far the best analogue sound I've had. Began with a Nagaoka MP200 and sounded great but had an opportunity at a Dynavector 20X2L and was a very worthwhile upgrade. Currently using a WTL BPS and Dynavector P75 Mk4 but had initially used with Croft separates and subsequently a Belles Aria and all sounded brilliant with Simplex as well. As noted by others I find the presentation more natural and cohesive compared to the other decks I've owned.

I get those who can't get past the aesthetics but I like black and minimalist design so works for me all round. My goal initially was to track down an early WTL Record Player which is a much more substantial deck but hard to find in excellent condition plus still demand premium prices. I have absolutely zero remorse with purchase of Simplex and feel fortunate to have it.

The only issue I've encountered is static in which the factory mat can adhere to the vinyl on occasion. I plan on getting an Auditorium 23 mat at some point in the future.

My WT Record Player replaced an LP12. I have no regrets! I always turn off the motor to turn a record over.

I know we all like to ‘optimise’ our purchases but a word of caution on the Well Tempered DPS power supply (this is not the same as Lavantha’s BPS - battery power supply).
I bought a DPS, planning to use it with both my Versalex and P75 mk 4. Although the outputs are labelled as 12v, they all measured around 20v on the one I tried. It killed my Versalex motor within an hour of use (coincidence - maybe?). Luckily I was warned not to use it with the P75 before I got round to connecting that as well. It may well have suffered the same fate.
Anyway, if you’re tempted, I would definitely measure the voltage output before you connect it up to something valuable.

regards

Kevin

I bought a DPS, planning to use it with both my Versalex and P75 mk 4. Although the outputs are labelled as 12v, they all measured around 20v on the one I tried. It killed my Versalex motor within an hour of use (coincidence - maybe?). Luckily I was warned not to use it with the P75 before I got round to connecting that as well. It may well have suffered the same fate.

YIKES! That is quite the cautionary tale!

I know its supposed to be all about the sound...... But look at the versalex..... Its £4k and just look at it.... Pride of ownership? Finely crafted? I think someone is having a laugh.
I'm certain it works well because many people with much turntable experience and good ears have bought one. But there's just no way I can see any value in the thing. The Rega RP10 is a grand cheaper on the HiFi Lounge site. Put them side by side. Which one cost more to make? Which one looks like its something worth having? Which one will last for decades?

Isn't hifi for listening to?

The thing I admire most about Firebaugh is his ability to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I just bought a replacement motor for my Amadeus - a £3 doorbell motor. It's a 20 year old deck and now that I've upgraded the Well Tempered arm I have no expectation that my Sondek will ever catch up. The platter bearing, the oversized platter, the thread belt easily made at home, the lowest possible power supply requirement and the rest all prove the adage that an engineer is someone who can do for two bob what any fool can do for a quid.

Buy paintings for looking at; Well Tempered decks are for listening.

It is similar to the Naim Aro in overhang adjustment, you get what you’re given.

My Amadeus GT arm allows the arm tube to be pushed hard through the golf ball attachment, so you can set effective length. The dealer who sold it to me, used, did not realise this.

Because it looks like someone's science project and the Rega P1 looks far better finished?

It may look like a science project but the sound and effortless musicality makes certain other decks seem like a cargo cult.

I've come to terms with the looks of my Amadeus, but I still don't look at it when I'm playing records – I face my speakers.

onamadeus.jpg

I get where people are coming from with the value proposition of Well Tempered. Indeed, my Amadeus 254 materially is nowhere near worth the £9k charged for it. The problem is that compared to a top-spec LP12 at over twice the price, a more expensive SME, the super duper Clearaudios, the Bergmann decks, the top Vertere decks and more, all of which I've listened to at length, is that it sounds better. A lot better, to my ears and as I'm the one buying it, that's all that matters. Oddly enough, I haven't heard the current Rega P10 and that's because whatever they charge for it and no matter how good it is, I can't get my head around the unfinished sides to the plinth, so it's not a consideration for me. Beauty is in the eye etc... Bill Firebaugh is a bloody genius though!

Great to see this thread ! This TT, esp the Simplex has something i have considered before but i wonder
What range of cartridges have people used, considering its a fixed headshell ? Is it limited in choice, like the Naim Aro ?

Great to see this thread ! This TT, esp the Simplex has something i have considered before but i wonder
What range of cartridges have people used, considering its a fixed headshell ? Is it limited in choice, like the Naim Aro ?
Read Supatrac’s post above on that…

advertisement

Back