advertisement

How good is Well Tempered Simplex

dunnoguit

pfm Member
I happened to see many people mentioned that they found Simplex sounded better than Linn LP12. I’m tempted.

Hi
I have had a WT Simplex for about 15 months now and find it absolutely brilliant! It replaced a Rega RP8.
My first impressions were of a much more natural, analogue sound.
Was originally set up by the dealer, but after a while, I played around with it and found a much better setup for my musical tastes! Very easy to setup!
I have not heard the new version however!

If you search here for Amadeus, Versalex and Simplex which, I believe, covers all iterations of the current Well Tempered output, you should find plenty of praise and quite a few who moved from LP12 to the safety of a design that can’t really be ‘upgraded’ (save a counter weight).
You should also discover a few who praise the WT but still went back to LP12.
Good hunting.

Audio T in Reading have an ex dem Simplex on offer for about £1200 (ish). My understanding is the Simplex delivers most of what its bigger brothers can manage but in a cut down, less polished package. Audio T also have the new Versalex which has had some rather nice cosmetic upgrades including a translucent platter which makes it look so much better than the previous model with a black platter.

Ok, I am seriously considering it now.:D Funny thing is even I’m in the same country as Well Tempered Lab, the price is almost the same as the other half of the planet.:mad:

I've never heard the Simplex but....

I went from a top spec'd LP12 (including the Urika) to a Versalex and it's the best decision I've ever made. I find the presentation far more involving and realistic.

I strongly recommend you get a demo.

I know its supposed to be all about the sound...... But look at the versalex..... Its £4k and just look at it.... Pride of ownership? Finely crafted? I think someone is having a laugh.
I'm certain it works well because many people with much turntable experience and good ears have bought one. But there's just no way I can see any value in the thing. The Rega RP10 is a grand cheaper on the HiFi Lounge site. Put them side by side. Which one cost more to make? Which one looks like its something worth having? Which one will last for decades?

Having just seen the latest Versalex this week, I would disagree with any issues over how it looks. The small but significant cosmetic alterations have made a big difference to its appearance. The Well Tempered decks can seem delicate but they work beautifully and having been using one for a couple of years I have no issues with how it sounds, works or looks. There is a great deal of original thinking embodied in their decks and I suppose that comes at a cost.

I know its supposed to be all about the sound...... But look at the versalex..... Its £4k and just look at it.... Pride of ownership? Finely crafted? I think someone is having a laugh.
I'm certain it works well because many people with much turntable experience and good ears have bought one. But there's just no way I can see any value in the thing. The Rega RP10 is a grand cheaper on the HiFi Lounge site. Put them side by side. Which one cost more to make? Which one looks like its something worth having? Which one will last for decades?

They guy who designs them sits down and uses all sorts of materials and chooses whichever sounds best to him.

In the case of the simplex that is an MDF plinth sat on squash balls with a nylon drive belt and a triangular bearing hole.

You make think it looks cheap but it beats the RP10 hands down (yes I've owned a simplex and heard the rp10)

I've got the Amadeus GTA which is aluminium slabs and stainless steel. If you replace the fishing line and gloop every five years or so it will last for hundreds of years and look and sound as it does now. There is nothing to wear out.

I also have an Amadeus GTA. It is easy to set up and maintain, and sounds great. Mine has been trouble-free since I bought it about six years ago.

For those who liked expensive looking stuff there was the corian plinthed Well Tempered Reference of yore. It was not directly a Bill Firebaugh design, he's only interested in engineering solutions like fishing line and golf balls. If that's not your bag, fair enough but the basic Well Tempered Record Player, precursor to the Simplex, showed the door to my LP12.

The new Simplex MK2 is a real improvement over the Mk1. Now has the Same bearing as WT Amadeus, GTA ect. New golfball design(just joking:) new plinth. Performance wise runs pretty close to the Amadeus to my ear.
Yes I've heard it extensively and own an Amadeus Mk1. If budget is an issue buy the Simplex MK2 and be happy. 9 in arm may not track quite as well as the 10.5 arm but it seems LP dependent. Finally heard the Rega p6 and it's no slouch either especially at the price.

While not wishing to knock the LP12 which I had in various iterations for over 30 years, I continue to be amazed how good the WT Simplex sounds given the basic components and price compared with the Linn.

I currently have a Simplex on loan from Phonography and I have to say I am blown away. Best sound I’ve heard in my life. Attractive looks . Simple and clever engineering solutions. Brilliant and lovely

And you've heard some good sounds in your life so far!

I remain stuck in my LP12 mindset but as the owner of your old Obs I respect your opinion and my appetite is whetted!

Bugger!!

And you've heard some good sounds in your life so far!

I remain stuck in my LP12 mindset but as the owner of your old Obs I respect your opinion and my appetite is whetted!

Bugger!!

Hello Peter, good to hear from you .

I think you would be very pleasantly surprised by the Simplex. It really sucks you in to the music and makes you forget you are listening to a record player.

The one I’m listening to is on loan from Phil March at Phonography , when I finish with it I’m sure he will loan it to you if you want. If you decided to switch I’m sure he could help you to get a good price for your LP12 too. Phil is also a big LP12 enthusiast

http://www.phonographyonline.co.uk/

Paul

Reactions: ask
Do Simplex users genrerally use the mat, or go without ?

I use the mat but couldn’t hear any difference with or without. The only problem with the mat is that the foam construction means it tends to stick to records when lifting off the turntable. There is a third party alternative which apparently solves this problem and gets good reviews: Auditorium 23 mat,available from TomTom Audio for c£50. Not sure if this sounds any better, particularly as the designer of the WT tried a variety of different materials before deciding the foam mat sounded the best.

advertisement

Back