advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the fancy coated strings, they do last for ages IME. I think I have them on all my electrics now. I'm the type who only changes guitar strings when they visibly go dull, so I get a good year or two out of a set! Just stuck a fresh set of Elixir Nanoweb 11s on the new Lester, set the relief, action, intonation etc and it is playing beautifully.

Big fan of Thomastik Infield Jazz Flats on the bass, I have them on both the fretted and fretless at the moment and they seem to give a good '60s fusion/70s rock/funk sound, play well (very low tension for a flatwound) and last ages. As I'm just not aiming for that bright indie twang or 80s funk slap at all I'll likely run them until they fall off!

I like the elixir bass strings too....just looked at the Thomastiks you linked to...bass strings at cello string prices!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I like the elixir bass strings too....just looked at the Thomastiks you linked to...bass strings at cello string prices!

They are expensive, but they have a reputation for lasting pretty much forever. I guess different rules apply to flats as you aren't chasing the bright zingy sound of new round-wounds at all, so as long as the tension doesn't go up too much (which it doesn't seem to) then they should be good for many, many years. The set on my fretless have been on for a few years now with no issues, though I don't play it much as I'm still pretty crap (I'd probably be better with a lined fretless to be honest, mine just has dots on the binding, which clearly isn't enough!).

This is my 6 string acoustic, an Avian Songbird which I'm really pleased with

30672747515_e626f8fd13_b.jpg

30556049882_93a6a8abce_b.jpg

I've been watching some of scottsbasslessons videos on Youtube link recently and have been learning some good stuff - especially how fingering for scales and arpeggios simply repeat themselves.

In a recent video, Scott spoke about starting scales with the 1st, 2nd and 4th fingers as doing so leads to different fretboard positions (and therefore, different tones and opportunities etc), but still within the scale of course. He also said that upon reaching an octave up, the scale continues using a pattern borrowed from another fingering. The upshot of which is it's possible to know how to play all scales for infinity by memorising the patterns that begin with the 1st, 2nd and 4th fingers - just three patterns!

For example, starting the C major scale with the 1st finger finishes on the next C up with the 2nd finger, which itself finishes with the 4th finger, which itself finishes with the 2nd finger. If you had a 20 string guitar, you could play from the lowest to the highest note in a given scale simply by repeating the appropriate pattern depending on which finger starts and ends an octave - obviously moving up a fret at every B string.

Fwiw, the fingering for the major scale is:

1,2... and so on

The fingering for the (natural) minor scale is:

1... and so on (no 2nd or 3rd finger positions)

I wish I'd known this years ago lol

I've been watching some of scottsbasslessons videos on Youtube link recently and have been learning some good stuff - especially how fingering for scales and arpeggios simply repeat themselves.

- obviously moving up a fret at every B string.
Given that reducing what you need to learn gives you more time to develop as a player, why don't more guitarists tune in 4ths? I don't play guitar, but if I started I'd be tempted to try this.

Cool, is the Jazzmaster an original? I really like Jazzmasters.

PS Ongoing Brexit£ offloading continues by another £1k.... I've just bought what looks to be a very tidy 2005 Fender American Vintage Reissue 75 Jazz Bass in natural with rosewood fingerboard, pearl slab inlays, ashtrays etc. Should land on Thurs!

The tatty look of the white one makes me want to remove its sixth string

Tatty? I think of it more as comfortable.

Cool, is the Jazzmaster an original? I really like Jazzmasters.

No, the Jazzmaster is a Mexican-made "Road Worn" model made last year. The Esquire is a Mexican-made Classic 50s model from about 2006, the Telecaster is from 1966 (neck stamp 3 FEB 66 B), I've had it for more than half my life.

PS Ongoing Brexit£ offloading continues by another £1k.... I've just bought what looks to be a very tidy 2005 Fender American Vintage Reissue 75 Jazz Bass in natural with rosewood fingerboard, pearl slab inlays, ashtrays etc. Should land on Thurs!

Cool, new toys are fun.

Anyone going to buy Johnny Marr's new book. Love his style...

Nile Rodgers was a big influence which I didn't get originally but it's obvious once you know!

Given that reducing what you need to learn gives you more time to develop as a player, why don't more guitarists tune in 4ths? I don't play guitar, but if I started I'd be tempted to try this.

How does tuning in 4ths 'reduce what you need to learn' ?

And what would you tune each string to? E at the low end, E at the top end, or something else?

How does tuning in 4ths 'reduce what you need to learn' ?

And what would you tune each string to? E at the low end, E at the top end, or something else?
E-A-D-G-C-F
As in the earlier post on the bass fingerings, it reduces the number of patterns you need to learn, as intervals between strings are regular. Stanley Jordan uses it among others.

Maybe so for scales, but it would mean learning non-standard chord shapes for every chord. The standard tuning isn't that complex, just a one semitone drop on the B.

I just put some Elixir Phosphor Polywebs on my Baby Taylor and she's sounding great - she should as she's had the same strings on since January! I've not tried phosphor polywebs before, so it'll interesting to hear how they sound once they've settled in for the long haul.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one whose fingers and ears deserve a treat, so what are you waiting on? Treat Yo Self :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As in the earlier post on the bass fingerings, it reduces the number of patterns you need to learn, as intervals between strings are regular.

Some would suggest that the patterns shouldn't be the focus, but the notes should. Barney Kessel, amongst others.

Damn, I don't like the phosphor bronze elixir strings. It was nice to have fresh strings, but the polywebs just work better with my Big Baby; next time I'm changing back to poywebs

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back