advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, what strings do you guys like on your six string acoustics? I've been an Elixir Nanoweb fan for a while, but I keep wincing at the price, so am about to have a dalliance with some D'Addarios on the J45. Sure, I don't expect they'll last as long but they're half the price...

OK, what strings do you guys like on your six string acoustics? I've been an Elixir Nanoweb fan for a while, but I keep wincing at the price, so am about to have a dalliance with some D'Addarios on the J45. Sure, I don't expect they'll last as long but they're half the price...

I prefer Polywebs on my Taylor Big Baby and Nanowebs on my Hummingbird and although they're on the pricey side of guitar strings, I'll keep on buying them as I like them. My buying strategy is simple: watch them on Amazon and buy when they drop a few pounds below the going rate.

I'm a couch player so I don't really have to worry about changing them every few weeks, but I can imagine if you're a regular gigger, then changing strings every six months or so would be too much to ask of your audience. But there's no Plan B from me - for better or worse!

I'm using Elixir Polywebs. I find them a more mellow, less zingy sound that the Nanowebs, and I prefer that for pure acoustic use.

I switched to Elixirs a couple of years ago, and I was also a little wary of the cost, but I'm fairly sure they last well enough to mostly offset that extra cost. I don't tend to break strings on the acoustic.

And I usually team up with a couple of friends and buy them in large enough quantities to get wholesale prices.

Also should note that I noodle around at home, not gigging.....

I use the "Long Life" Martins on my acoustic, not cheap however they do fit its' tone and seem to last a decent length of time.

I don't think any of the Elixirs sound as good as D 'Addario EJ16 phosphor bronzes when they're not old. In fact they best any strings I've tried for sound, say after a day's playing.

However Elixirs slaughter them in the longevity stakes...except...I never break the D 'Addarios, but break plenty of Elixirs. A dodge to make the Elixirs less tinny and clangy BTW is to leave the B and E on from your old set, just changing E A D and G. Sound quite a bit better then.

Currently considering an (electro-) acoustic with cutaway at around the £200 price point.

Local stockists have Stagg, Cort, Ibanez, Chord, Yamaha, Tanglewood, and Epiphone.

Before I go a-trying them out, does anyone have anything in particular at this price point that they would recommend or have heard encouraging noises about?

I use Martin strings or John Pearse.

It turns out Elixir Nanowebs (the phosphor variety) are available via Amazon Prime Now. I placed an order for a packet and 4 x Duracell 9v batteries a couple of hours ago and they just arrived. But the really good news is that if you can get Prime Now, the following code gets you £5 off your first order (min. £20 spend): nowfive

This code brought my order down from £22 to £17 give or take a few pennies :)

I like the fancy coated strings, they do last for ages IME. I think I have them on all my electrics now. I'm the type who only changes guitar strings when they visibly go dull, so I get a good year or two out of a set! Just stuck a fresh set of Elixir Nanoweb 11s on the new Lester, set the relief, action, intonation etc and it is playing beautifully.

Big fan of Thomastik Infield Jazz Flats on the bass, I have them on both the fretted and fretless at the moment and they seem to give a good '60s fusion/70s rock/funk sound, play well (very low tension for a flatwound) and last ages. As I'm just not aiming for that bright indie twang or 80s funk slap at all I'll likely run them until they fall off!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back