advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One I couldn't tell blindfold from any other competently-designed guitar.

No wait... is that the wrong thing to say here?...

[size=-2]
Yamaha FG-355-ii, c.30yrs old now
NS Wav 4 upright bass - main toy
[/size]

Another PRS SE Custom 24 here also, with super cheapo ($90) Marshall practice amp, and also a Boss ME 50 (battery powered effects unit).

Super Jumbo
Fender Jazz Bass in the most wonderful plum colour

Cant play much but they look wonderful.

One I couldn't tell blindfold from any other competently-designed guitar.

No wait... is that the wrong thing to say here?...

[size=-2]
Yamaha FG-355-ii, c.30yrs old now
NS Wav 4 upright bass - main toy
[/size]

Hey, if you are deaf you are deaf, its a disability so to ostricize you would be wrong :)

Another PRS SE Custom 24 here also, with super cheapo ($90) Marshall practice amp, and also a Boss ME 50 (battery powered effects unit).

Ever tried a real PRS? I never have and always wondered...

Super Jumbo
Fender Jazz Bass in the most wonderful plum colour

Cant play much but they look wonderful.

Is that a Gibson SJ?

1z55ank.jpg

I've posted this picture before, it's a '66 Telecaster, recent Jazzmaster, and kinda recent Esquire.

Gibson Chet Atkins nylon string
Taylor 812ce
Squier Strat, with hot rod pickups, made in the Unites States of Korea!

Rebuilt early 70s Fender Vibrosonic tube amp.

And until four years ago a Gibson WRC Showcase....I sold this off for a couple hundred $ not realizing that only a few hundred were made and are a bit collectory
...and Ovation Legend-after 40 years the string tension ripped the bridge off...sold it to a guy in the same garage sale for $5.

The one guitar I wished I had kept was a natural finish Gibson L6S. At the time I could not afford a guitar amp, so I ended up playing it plugged into the microphone inputs of a cassette deck with the recording levels turned all the way up to clipping to act as a fuzz box, into a Nytech 252XD amp. I think I ended up selling it for around 225UKP back in the early 1980s.

My affinity for guitars far outweighs my ability to play them.

Did you know putting the Vibrosonic on some Sonority platforms actually makes it sound better? Well, it does!

81 Tokai Love Rock Custom
92 Tokai Love Rock Standard
Hand rolled Strat with 59 sized body vintage neck profile
Squier Cabronita Tele
84 Tokai Jazz Bass
72 Tokai Hummingbird acoustic
60s 12 string of indeterminate make

Hiwatt DR103 and Kemper

Gibson Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom Ivory Bullseye;
Gibson Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom Camo Bullseye (signed);
Gibson Peter Frampton Signature Les Paul Custom;
Gibson 1959 LP Reissue (quilted maple);
Gibson 1958 Goldtop Reissue;
Gibson 2016 Figured Top ES-175;
Gibson 2014 Les Paul Standard;
ESP James Hetfield Iron Cross;
ESP Gus G "Random Star'' signature;
Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Strat;
Fender American Standard Strat;
Epiphone Hummingbird acoustic.

Daaaaaaamn. That's one helluva collection. Years ago I started a thread called "Show us what shite musicians you are" which was self deprecatory...I included a sound byte of me playing that is easily bettered by any ten year old at a local high school talent show. Turns out there's some decent musicians among us...but that does not include myself.

What a list! but why the Epiphone Hummingbird?!

I have a few including a Gibson Les Paul Std with Suhr pickups, Ltd ESP, Vintage Japanese Squier, Hofner travel guitar, various acoustics, Marshall JVM410H and a couple of BlackStars including the Stereo Fly portable amp pack which is brilliant. Pictures below of a couple, Ltd vs Gibson.

Guitars in Black and White by Eugene Erdozain, on Flickr

I just bough a 2010 Gibson SG. Lovely, simple guitar. I now need to grow a Zapata moustache.

Stephen

PetiteWazooSG_zpsbe487468.jpg

I'm trying to cut down—that '60s Woolworth's guitar was a gateway drug.

I have a few but most recent and the one I currently play the most is a strat I've built / put together from nice parts - Callaham hardware, EJ pickups, thick C to V 54 USACG maple neck, aged mint green pickguard, lightweight alder body. I painted it in sonic blue nitro, did a light relic / checking and aged all the hardware (in hydrochloric acid). Very happy with how that one came out as my first build (I must take some pics!)

Just started building a 52 inspired tele with a 1 piece very light USACG swamp ash body and maple neck - currently grain filling that one, so it has a while to go...

My Yamaha FG-375S is still with me, but I hardly play now. This thread has a teeny chance to spur me to buy a new set of strings and see if I can get my left fingers calloused again.

After 45 years of playing the Clarinet (30 years of that professionally - I 'semi-retired' 3 years ago) I finally got round to fulfilling a long-held desire to play the guitar. Mrs Gromit's bought me a new Yamaha FG820M for Christmas - it's gone off to Santa though as not allowed to even take it out of the box until Christmas Day...

<boo-hooo/stamping of feet/tantrum etc>

I went through a period when I wanted some guitars so badly that I sold the Linn/Naim system. Owning the guitar of your dreams is wonderful and I never regretted selling the hi fi.

The 1951 precision serial no 0011 was a beauty. Lots of history and the best neck on any bass I have played. Mr Gomez knew what he was doing. Sadly other things got in the way of playing so I have "retired" and the precision has a new home. A bit like the romance that was doomed to fail. Great while it lasted but you knew it was going to end.

Honourable mentions for the Fender jazz and Tokai 54 strat. The trouble is, I've seen there's a company in the States who make some very nice looking broadcaster replicas...... You never really retire.

I should add that the only guitar I now own is a 1946 K&F lap steel which needs some tlc. Bought at an embarrassingly low price (well every dog has his day). Just need somebody reliable to do some work on the pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back