advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davie 504 is a good bassist. He's very similar to Steve Terreberry insofar as he's a talented musician with a YouTube presentation style that is a bit marmite to say the least.

I have heard Norman play it many many times and the key is the groove, not the notes. He plays it different every time but has some of the best groove ever. Heard him play with Wilco on one of his farewell tours and just playing one repeated note for the intro of Roxette while Wilco talked to the crown knocks you sideways..... genius player and one of many favorites of mine.

I love slap, I was a huge Mark King fan back in the day and went from that to Stanley Clarke, Larry Graham, Marcus Miller and up to Victor Wooten the alleged inventor of double thumbing. The technique is irrelevant, it must contribute to the music and many forget that. They have all been guilty of indulgence IMO but they are all more than capable of letting the music speak.

Norman talks about his basses.

Never heard of Dave 504, but the video Matthew linked to made me laugh for sure. Total click-bait, but really quite funny. I’d never be able to play that bassline in a million years if I did nothing other than practice, eat and sleep, but nor would I want to. I went through a short phase in the ‘80s trying to slap, mainly influenced by Mike Watt (Minutemen, Firehose), but I really can’t do it. I just can’t get the rhythm/speed in my thumb right at all. Not bothered, just playing with fingers is my preference now (I used to use a pick).

"Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick", show me a Bass player who can play that song in its entirety without a mistake and with Norman's groove and they are seriously good.

*quietly lifts hand*

It's a bastard to figure out - especially the verse part with the little contrapuntal bit - but once you've got it, it's like riding a bike.

*quietly lifts hand*

It's a bastard to figure out - especially the verse part with the little contrapuntal bit - but once you've got it, it's like riding a bike.

Yeah, I can as well, it’s one of those lines once heard you have to learn. Took a while, it helps if you can gig it.

Did you ever try the bass line to I’m a believer written and played by the incomparable Carol Kaye? It’s a corker, not especially hard but way more complex than most expect.

Another Bass line that's a nightmare to play right.

You're spot on about Carol Kaye, plays some dastardly "simple yet devilishly difficult to emulate properly", Bass lines.

Never heard of Dave 504, but the video Matthew linked to made me laugh for sure. Total click-bait, but really quite funny.

You have heard him before -- he's the guy who played the bassline DEADMAU5 said was impossible. He's very funny albeit in a utterly juvenile way and clearly he is meant for young people like us not oldsters like some others :)

Just to hold up the non-Bass side of things for a while..
Came across this vid on feel and articulation from the master himself - BB King.

What a man. Beautiful feel, and a quiet modesty that belies the depth of talent of the man.

I never really feel like I have much in common with those really good bass players and the approach many have is so different (even though I am obvs a bass player) and i’m very old skool in that more than 4 string just seem a bit weird to me (and I am certain I could do with 2. Is this — but with frets pls.

longbow2stringbass.jpg

Slap and funk is music from another planet, it’s almost a different instrument. I’m fortunate in that my love of gonzo punk— which is usually dumb-ass gnarly basslines following what the guitar is doing. But I do love watching it being played.

Last edited:
Sneak peek of my signature bass mostly for playing live (I wanted a bass that says pretty much everything about me). I seem to get the sound I like out of a single vintage pup, no active, no fancy tone shaping no posh articulated bridge. This is being built by MJT guitars. It’s getting aged a bit more and then crazed and the wood darkened, the scratchplate is getting yellowed and the neck is already roughed over.

EFvifgCWwAMhG9J

Yeah, MJT do an old skool nitro and then crack it up and peel bits off. Same with the neck but they do a thumb-line and fretboard wear as well. It gets some extra ageing on the decal and wearing down. This is just a first taste.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back