advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Which Tuner? episode was not the best.

That was pure comedy gold!

PS It did actually have me seeing if there was any difference between mine (Boss TU-3, TC Polytune Clip, and some little yellow Korg clip), and I don’t think there is once you allow the note to settle (some are faster than others). The Boss and the TC have far better display resolution than the Korg, but the latter is only a tenner or so. My annoyance is none of mine will allow setting down to A432, which I’d rather like to try (435 seems the lowest you can set any of them).

Bit of a long shot probably, but does anyone have a Jazz Bass neck they don't need??

I’ve got one attached to a lovely natural finish USA AVRI 76 I’d be prepared to sell as a job lot complete with body, case etc! A fabulous and truly iconic bass I’ve just not connected with somehow...

I’ve got one attached to a lovely natural finish USA AVRI 76 I’d be prepared to sell as a job lot complete with body, case etc! A fabulous and truly iconic bass I’ve just not connected with somehow...

How does £250 plus a somewhat worn copy of DSOTM sound ??

£250 and a strong EX/EX solid blue triangle DSOTM complete with posters and stickers and its yours!

Interesting bit of history, I’m not sure “enjoy” is the right term... I just get ****ing angry to the point of openly ragesobbing at the state telling people how to dress, it’s like TERFs and so-called gender critical types within government telling people how to live their lives. The stasi were rapists and murderers.

Last edited:
The tone the guy gets in that second video is superb. Wonderful musician.

Andy Timmons is one of the best - have a listen to Plays Sgt Pepper, there's quite a bit on YouTube but he's quite well known for Strawberry Fields...

In find myself entirely underwhelmed by the new Fender Ultra range, but the Texas Tea finish does look lovely. If I had that sort of money for another guitar I think I would look at Suhr. Alt T pro looks like just the thing and here's a demo into another Mesa.

I’ll watch that Messa video later. I’ve always, maybe wrongly, had them pegged as that god awful heavy metal ‘shred’/‘80s hair metal’ sound. I’m also no great fan of the ultra slick white blues stuff that I think Timmons typifies (I love ‘proper’ vintage US blues, JLH etc, but that is a far simpler and far rawer thing), but he clearly has exceptional technical skill and seemed a good bloke on TPS, at least he took Dan’s fawning well!

Mesa do a lot more than shred sheds. The lonestar is a beautiful amp, with sparkling cleans and breakup to die for I'm not a fan (any more) of the rectifiers etc but I'm loving those 2 above. The fillmore and the cal tweed.

Someone on here has a Lonestar, I think? (Maybe it's you Haggs!). That was the amp that changed my view of Mesa, albeit starting from a position of some ignorance.

Someone on here has a Lonestar, I think? (Maybe it's you Haggs!). That was the amp that changed my view of Mesa, albeit starting from a position of some ignorance.

guilty as charged matthew:

tele1.jpg

it's a really lovely amp but a tad too large to drag around the house, i've been looking for a smaller practice amp and recently got a fender bassbreaker, which is nice enough in itself. but i like the look and sound of those mesas so thinking about getting one. mesa also do them in really nice finishes. i mean, look at this:

https://reverb.com/item/13988078-me...om-private-reserve-flame-maple-natural-wicker

you're right about the cost, but you can't take it with you!

I’m also no great fan of the ultra slick white blues stuff that I think Timmons typifies (I love ‘proper’ vintage US blues, JLH etc, but that is a far simpler and far rawer thing), but he clearly has exceptional technical skill and seemed a good bloke on TPS, at least he took Dan’s fawning well!

He's pretty well rounded - studied Jazz guitar at University of Miami influenced by Metheny and Jaco apparently, toured with Olivia N-J for years and was her musical director. The guy's a virtuoso, what I like about him is his ability to hold a melody, it's very rare, almost unique in fact among his peers within that rock/blues guitar genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back