advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS I’m half tempted to buy another Wem Copicat, the ‘70s solid state ones go for a fraction of a Space Echo, and based on the one I ‘lost’ they sound great partially broken too. Mine had absolutely trashed heads which just made it sound really muddy, which was kind of cool!

Agreed, my solid state copicat is a beauty and cost very little, and sounds ace.

This video has triggered my guitar urges. Probably too expensive at UK prices, but looks good value at $1500 in the US.

Also I wish I could play like JLJ.

^I might as well just give up guitar playing now :(

This video has triggered my guitar urges. Probably too expensive at UK prices, but looks good value at $1500 in the US.

Also I wish I could play like JLJ.

Buy one Matt - or any other decent tele - all us Tele players end up playing pretty much like that within the first couple of months.. :)

Super guitarist. I love that section he plays from 2:30 to 3:00 - anybody know if that's taken from anywhere else, or if it's just his own noodling ?

Last edited:
Ramon did his chat show on Teles yesterday among other things. He had a rather nice one with a Bigsby (at the risk of linking to his channel again ;)) he's a fan of the Japanese lawsuits. That aside 'everyone' seems to be raving about Gray guitars at the minute - pricey though. https://www.grayguitars.london/

^just started watching that now.... bloody hell, that bloke can play a bit!

PS I’ll work up the vids on this page ver time as there is a lot by channels new to me. Yay! More stuff to watch! \o/

Yeah he's silly good, especially his left hand technique. Although his guitar face is worse than Gove's sex face.

EDIT: I meant his right hand of course. The way he mixes his pick and his fingers I really like.

It's also noticeable how few followers he's got compared to other guitar channel who have nowhere near his talent. Here he is with Mick fromTPS.

If any bass players who post their recreations of the hardest bass riff ever, I promise I will SLAP LIKE NOW.

That guy is genuinely terrible. At its best (Larry Graham, early Miller, etc) slap is a great technique, and I've invested in it quite heavily.

At its worst, as Anthony Jackson used to say, it's a kind of ketchup for bass players - just muscle memory pretending to be music.

The advent of double-thumbing has made this effect much worse IMO.

"Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick", show me a Bass player who can play that song in its entirety without a mistake and with Norman's groove and they are seriously good.

There's an excellent piece on one of Warren Huart's videos where the point is made. There Are thousands of brilliant musicians who know every last technique, you can find them allover Youtube however, the best musicians play the song not their ego. The biggest issue I have ever faced in the music biz my entire life, is dealing with people who believe that, because they are a technical genius on their given instrument, the songs they write are somehow magically, automatically good songs.

Here's an interesting insider's fact for you. In the decades I have been in the biz I must have heard a couple of hundred "songs and projects" that are in the words of the engineer and record company staff playing it to me. "The next big thing" and not one of those bands or songs have ever gone to be a real success.

I know one major record company who,, for about a decade, had two people and two people alone who were the acid test of whether a band was liable to "make it". Both were absolute and yet utterly charming "wrecks" of people who were liable to lose their way between the bedroom and the bathroom of their own house. Both of them, if they said "They have what it takes", were all that record co needed to know. I would suggest this, that in the past 50 years, the top fifty or so guitar based bands from the UK were "headhunted" and "discovered" by less than 2 dozen people.

Remember this, Frank Zappa and The Velvet Underground were both "discovered" and signed by the same person, legend has it, on the same day.

"Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick", show me a Bass player who can play that song in its entirety without a mistake and with Norman's groove and they are seriously good.

I have heard Norman play it many many times and the key is the groove, not the notes. He plays it different every time but has some of the best groove ever. Heard him play with Wilco on one of his farewell tours and just playing one repeated note for the intro of Roxette while Wilco talked to the crown knocks you sideways..... genius player and one of many favorites of mine.

I love slap, I was a huge Mark King fan back in the day and went from that to Stanley Clarke, Larry Graham, Marcus Miller and up to Victor Wooten the alleged inventor of double thumbing. The technique is irrelevant, it must contribute to the music and many forget that. They have all been guilty of indulgence IMO but they are all more than capable of letting the music speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back