advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favourite nephew has just bought one of these : https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-de...rofessional-pj-bass-roasted-maple-daphne-blue It's a lovely thing and I think Daphne Blue with Maple fretboard has replaced my previous favourite Fender colour of Surf Green.

People do tell me it's wrong to have favourite nephews but one has a Daphne Blue Fender Precision Bass and the other works for a pension fund so I think I am on safe ground here.

Apart from the inevitability of having to call it Daphne.. I think it's a cracker piece of kit :) Should wear in well, same as Claire's - and get better looking with time.

(You've got to love your kids equally, but not your nephews btw Matt - that's somebody else's problem!)

Sneak peek of my signature bass mostly for playing live (I wanted a bass that says pretty much everything about me). I seem to get the sound I like out of a single vintage pup, no active, no fancy tone shaping no posh articulated bridge. This is being built by MJT guitars. It’s getting aged a bit more and then crazed and the wood darkened, the scratchplate is getting yellowed and the neck is already roughed over.

Neato.

I'm still pleased with the Strat body I got from MJT. Plus they're only 200-ish miles from here. I'm thinking of doing a '51 P-bass style partscaster, with a beat-up sunburst.

My Trans-Punk signature bass... I do like a ****ed up neck

EGBJlquXoAIp8Us

EGBJlqyXYAAa0CX

EGBJlyQWwAEesBw

Long stem reverse gear tuners too...

The body got a bit more age. that’s better, and they aged the logo too. Nitro and body wood darkening and More dents and a few scrapes follow.

EGBK8tlXkAAmO1x

EGBK8tuWwAAbbCg

Fun fact — making a new signature after deed polling your deadname out of existence is both hard to settle on — and curiously fun.

Fun fact — making a new signature after deed polling your deadname out of existence is both hard to settle on — and curiously fun.
Make sure you get it fixed before signing our vinyl. We don’t want provenance problems with Sotheby’s in ten years’ time.

It’s all fixed in muscle memory now, all done. Fun fact #2 use a “stage signature” that you can polish off really quickly — maximise that distance between the foot of the private jet and the Limo. If I’m in a good mood you get at little heart instead of a dot on the I.

That extra x reserved: coded for “see you backstage and lets make out after the show’. The logo isn’t complete as it gets a branding, that’s being done by a pyrographer.

I like distressed stuff, it brings a freedom of ownership that you never get in a tags n perfect guitar, I had a mondeo in a similar finish, parking consisted of driving it into the wall then dropping back a touch.

The lacquer crackle on that one is fab and I love the colour

The amazing Miki Santamaria at a bass show doing one of those demo things. Remarkable technique but still stays in the pocket which so many cannot

https://www.gfisystem.com/specular-tempus.html

this is quite fun...i know, i know, delay schmay, echo schmecho. but overdrive, fuzz, screamer...dual rectifier....done it to death in the 70's with marshalls and a lovely old bassman...spacey echo & delay is the future

mind you, this, through a bassman...heaven :)

Last edited:
The new Strymon amp modelling pedal sounds great to my ears. And despite the usual £££ strymon prices in makes the Fender Tone Master look stupidly expensive.

Also this week's That Pedal Show had two of the most OTT pedalboards ever, but despite this there was way more playing than usual and the music from (new to me) John Baizley & Gina Gleeson was awesome.

I really enjoyed that to the point I ordered the current Baroness album whilst watching just on the strength of the racket the two of them were making. I suspect after a bit more research it will be a bit too ‘metal’ for me when it turns up, but that was a great TPS episode for sure!

I just feel that TPS has been losing its direction a little recently, I least I don't have the energy to watch very much, so it could be me. Is the growing subscriber base pulling the channel into the mainstream? I think it was a mistake to drop the answers show, even if it was less widely viewed - that was their contact with the core audience...

I just feel that TPS has been losing its direction a little recently, I least I don't have the energy to watch very much, so it could be me. Is the growing subscriber base pulling the channel into the mainstream? I think it was a mistake to drop the answers show, even if it was less widely viewed - that was their contact with the core audience...

A couple of recent episodes have been pretty weak and I agree dropping the Q&A was a mistake, but it is still a good watch IMO. I’m actually astonished at how fun and interesting they can make a show that nine times out of ten is just two MOR white blues players and a tray of 14 absolutely identical overdrive pedals!

PS Give the Baroness show above a watch, its a good ‘un!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back