advertisement

Graham Audio is making BOTH an LS3/5 and an LS3/5a

@RossB How do the LS6 fare on contemporary material? As in, less than perfect productions, bass etc. Any comparisons to LS5/9 would be appreciated here too, thanks.

They're amazing little speakers. I bought a Rel T5i to use with mine, but ended up selling it. In a small room in nearfield they sound great, and while the sub added bass, it also took away some of the character of the speaker, so I decided I would rather do without the bass.

In the end I bought a pair of Graham LS6s as well, which are perfect in my small room and have more than adequate bass. I like these better than the LS5/9 which I also owned for a while. But I have kept the LS3/5s and listen to them from time to time because they do have the special magic that well-implemented tiny sealed boxes seem to possess.

My usual speakers are Spendor SP100s so I guess I've been spoiled by a full range speaker so the LS3/5 do sound a little thin by comparison (I also listen to them in nearfield, which I think is when they sound best). But the Stadium II really does not get in the way that I can hear. The biggest impact that I hear the sub making isn't so much in the bass per se. It really is more in the dimensions of the sonic landscape (deeper, wider, etc). I use it with the SP100 too and it has a similar effect. But I also use DSP for room correction, which also tends to flatten out bass peaks and make the sub much less noticeable (as least when it comes to bass) so I'm sure that helps to make the sub less noticeable.

Still haven't heard the LS6 or LS5/9. Another speaker I've yet to hear is the Stirling LS3/6 (basically a modern BC1), which Derek Hughes designed as well. What I'm really interested in hearing the LS5/8. I'm wondering how it compares to the Spendor SP100 and the Harbeth M40.

@RossB How do the LS6 fare on contemporary material? As in, less than perfect productions, bass etc. Any comparisons to LS5/9 would be appreciated here too, thanks.

They sound great on contemporary material, quite forgiving and very musical. The LS6 is a warm sounding speaker rather than a truly accurate one. The LS5/9s are objectively a better speaker than the LS6, have more extended bass and treble, as well as tighter bass. They are also more accurate, although their tonal balance is cooler than the LS6 (and the Harbeth M30.2/30.1). The LS6's bass is also a little flabby and the large port is often quite audible, producing a slight "growl" in the upper bass when there is enough energy in that region. But I love the LS6, they just sound so musical and engaging. I haven't been so enamoured of a pair of speakers since my first ES14s 20 years ago (and I have been through easily 20 pairs of speakers in that time). The LS5/9s would probably satisfy most people, but the issue I have with them is the slightly cool tonal balance, and the tweeter, which just sounds too "big" to me. It reminds me of the Dynaudio C1, which had a similar problem (for me anyway), with the tweeter being too prominent for my tastes. I question the decision to use original drivers in the LS5/9 and wonder how good they could have sounded with modern drivers.

My usual speakers are Spendor SP100s so I guess I've been spoiled by a full range speaker so the LS3/5 do sound a little thin by comparison (I also listen to them in nearfield, which I think is when they sound best). But the Stadium II really does not get in the way that I can hear. The biggest impact that I hear the sub making isn't so much in the bass per se. It really is more in the dimensions of the sonic landscape (deeper, wider, etc). I use it with the SP100 too and it has a similar effect. But I also use DSP for room correction, which also tends to flatten out bass peaks and make the sub much less noticeable (as least when it comes to bass) so I'm sure that helps to make the sub less noticeable.

Still haven't heard the LS6 or LS5/9. Another speaker I've yet to hear is the Stirling LS3/6 (basically a modern BC1), which Derek Hughes designed as well. What I'm really interested in hearing the LS5/8. I'm wondering how it compares to the Spendor SP100 and the Harbeth M40.

I guess I just don't get on with subwoofers, having owned half a dozen or so over the years - always briefly. I know that many people use them with great success. I can imagine the SP100s would be quite a contrast to the tiny LS3/5s! I'm also curious about the LS5/8, and haven't yet managed to hear either, the M40 or the SP100. My concern with the LS5/8 would again be the tweeter, although it may be less of an issue in a bigger speaker.

I would love to hear the Spendor SP100s, being a long-term BC1 owner. The Graham LS5/9 is another
model much discussed and I’d like to hear that, too.
My main experience is with LS3/5a type speakers.

The LS5/9s are very fine. They came into their own for me in a larger open plan space with a high vaulted ceiling, even though the normal listening distance was only about 8 feet away. They strike me as quite even handed from top end to bottom, neither notably warm or cool, a happy medium between Dynaudio Special 40s on the cool side and Harbeth Compact 7s at the warmer. Just comparisons to others I've had in the room, rather than direct side by side... As noted by Ross B above, Graham could have used a more modern tweeter; but that would put the fine balance at risk.

As to the newish (Graham) Chartwell LS3/5, I enjoyed my home audition very much, and can well imagine how magical the LS3/5 and 3/5a family must have seemed in its early prime. I can appreciate how they could take one back to heady times, student days perhaps, enjoying one's first taste of folk-rock, blues, blues-influenced rock etc. On their own terms, they have that marvellous way with the human voice, very pleasing on a range of music, especially acoustic instruments and small ensembles.

For my money, my Harbeth P3ES-2s are just all-around more satisfying small speakers in pretty much every way I can hear; cleaner, bigger scale, giving instrument and voice more palpable physical presence. No reflection on others I haven't heard such as Spendor Classics, or original BBC LS3/5a's. All IMHO, YMMV, and room-dependant of course.

Cheers,
Paul

The above is very interesting, especially the second paragraph on the Graham 3/5 and the LS3/5a family.
Yes, they do have a certain way with the human voice and certain types of music.
I’ve been caught by female vocals many a time on little Harbeths, Spendors and LS3/5as...

That was a nice description eka. It’s reassuring that extra money does indeed buy greater SQ. I hadn’t heard of the LS8. Could you live with the Tablette, if you’d only heard it in isolation?

Not wanting to speak for him but the Tab 10 is a great speaker, I bought mine new on the back of a dealer dem on unfamiliar kit and have enjoyed them for what must be nearly two years now. The LS8 must be something truly special if it's comfortably better.

Today I could finally audition a pair of Graham Audio LS5/9, and although they are not LS3/5As – and they were connected to a monstrously costly Luxman/Tara Labs system – I think I had an idea of why the hype about BBC designs: they are probably the best stand mount loudspeakers I have heard so far. And they were not fully run in. I liked them a lot, and am now completely re-considering my listening habits, my options, my priorities.

I'm 6 years late to the party. I now have the Graham LS5/9. They replaced the Harbeth SHL5+ and SHL5s I owned for more than 10 years. Yes, the LS5/9 is very good. I find the clarity, transparency and detail of the Graham to be better than the Harbeth.

I currently have a Luxman connected to the Graham but will try the Naim 282/250DR on the speakers when I have the time. I was informed by some LS5/9 owners that the Graham sounds great when driven by the Naim.

I have the Graham LS5/9; very fine in a more open space than would suit an LS3/5a sized speaker.
I haven't compared the 5/9 to a Harbeth, Stirling or Spendor of similar size; that would be interesting.

I currently have the Graham LS5/9 and have owned the SHL5 and SHL5+ for more than 10 years. I also listened to most Harbeth models which include P3ESR, C7ES3 and all M30 iterations from the original model to the M30.1 and M30.2.

In my mind the Graham is a more neutral speaker with higher levels of clarity and detail than the Harbeth. The Graham sounds more dynamic and lively while the Harbeth a bit warmer and less open in the midrange and treble. The tonality of the Harbeth is good but somehow the Graham sounds even better. It's difficult to describe in words but the Harbeth sounds like a blanket is thrown over them in comparison to the Graham.

Listening to them now; (Graham LS5/9s) - a little Van Morrison. Very nice indeed. Very satisfying. Haven't heard side by side with Harbeth Monitor 30.1, so I cannot speak to any appreciable difference.
To me, the Graham LS5/9 are a better balanced speaker than the M30.1 and 30.2. I find the transparency, clarity and detail of the Graham to be better than all Harbeth speakers in general. I surely prefer the LS5/9 more than the 30.1 which sounded to warm in the midrange with reduced air and extension in the treble. The M30.2 sounds more open than the 30.1 but the ls5/9 sounds even more open with better clarity and detail than the 30.2. Generally the sound of the Graham is airier and more extended in the treble. The Harbeth has a thicker and warmer midrange, a heavier bottom.

I continue to have lingering thoughts about adding an LS3 variation to my collection. But between considering the expense, and the enjoyment I get from my JR 149's(not to mention Klipsch La Scala's, Bozak 302's, AR3's and a few others) I'm able to keep them at bay. Things get especially difficult, however, when I gaze at threads like this. Carry on.

and the enjoyment I get from my JR 149's

I still couldn’t tell you which I prefer between my JR149s and Falcon ‘gold crossover’ LS3/5As. They are both great, both have their own strengths and weaknesses. Technically I don’t need both, but I’ll likely never decide between them!

To me, the Graham LS5/9 are a better balanced speaker than the M30.1 and 30.2. I find the transparency, clarity and detail of the Graham to be better than all Harbeth speakers in general. I surely prefer the LS5/9 more than the 30.1 which sounded to warm in the midrange with reduced air and extension in the treble. The M30.2 sounds more open than the 30.1 but the ls5/9 sounds even more open with better clarity and detail than the 30.2. Generally the sound of the Graham is airier and more extended in the treble. The Harbeth has a thicker and warmer midrange, a heavier bottom.

Hi Ryder. Are you keeping your Marten Oscar Duos? If yes, have you had a chance to compare them with your LS5/9’s? Thanks!

Hi Ryder. Are you keeping your Marten Oscar Duos? If yes, have you had a chance to compare them with your LS5/9’s? Thanks!
Hi Hook, I have Marten Duke 2 and yes I have briefly compared them to the Graham LS5/9, both with Luxman L-590AXII. I'm keeping both speakers. Generally the sound of the Marten is airier than the LS5/9 with a slightly smoother and more extended treble. The bass of the Marten goes deeper and is more defined. Both good and I can surely live with both. To me, the speakers have to be tonally accurate (apart from not sounding too warm or too bright) and both score very well here.

I haven't had the chance to try the Naim with the Grahams yet. Tried the Naim with Marten and the result is not very good.

Hi Hook, I have Marten Duke 2 and yes I have briefly compared them to the Graham LS5/9, both with Luxman L-590AXII. I'm keeping both speakers. Generally the sound of the Marten is airier than the LS5/9 with a slightly smoother and more extended treble. The bass of the Marten goes deeper and is more defined. Both good and I can live with both. I haven't had the chance to try the Naim with the Grahams yet. Tried the Naim with Marten and the result is not very good.

Ah yes, Duke 2’s. Should have done a search rather than trusting my memory! Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Naim/Graham combo.

I still couldn’t tell you which I prefer between my JR149s and Falcon ‘gold crossover’ LS3/5As. They are both great, both have their own strengths and weaknesses. Technically I don’t need both, but I’ll likely never decide between them!

And since you own both, you don't have to!

Once again, a post that helps me no further in my attempt NOT to spend more money:D

advertisement

Back