advertisement

Graham Audio is making BOTH an LS3/5 and an LS3/5a

I have just written to Hi-Fi News about another comparison of LS3/5as and similar speakers. A lot has changed since the June 2001 LS3/5a Shootout. We have the Falcons as brand new LS3/5as. Something we didn’t have in 2001.
We also have the Stirling V2s. They’re superb. Don’t dismiss them. I didn’t believe how good they were until I bought a pair. My own history of various makes ( Audiomasters, Falcons, Harbeths and Rogers ) has been fascinating and enlightening. Various ‘3/5a clones and customers’ reaction to them has added to my knowledge.
The whole small BBC Monitor area is alive and very interesting.

I'd like to see it happen. But, having heard the KEF LS50 over a week's home audition, I no longer think it really belongs in the shootout. Love them or not, they are a very different sort of sound from the LS3/5a; a bigger, 'bassier', more vivid sound, with sharper highs. Perhaps others would like them compared in a shootout though...

So would your Bank Manager.... they are so good it is silly.:)
Listening to them now; (Graham LS5/9s) - a little Van Morrison. Very nice indeed. Obviously closer to full range in a small to medium room than LS3/5a or equivalents. I was lucky to score a demo pair of 5/9s when distributors changed...
Very satisfying. Haven't heard side by side with Harbeth Monitor 30.1, so I cannot speak to any appreciable difference.

Heard the Graham 5/9s at Whittlebury show. Absolutely wonderful with Jazz and classical. Just my cup of tea. Sounded flat though with a Kraftwerk track IMO. Would buy if I had the cash.
Stirling V2- owned, agree with Martin, wonderful speaker, fantastic voices. Derek Hughes the designer has magic ears! In fact you could argue he has links to all these speakers!
Spendor S3/5r- owned, great on classical, voices very close to Stirling.
Graham Audio Ls3- heard at show- Incredible an ls3/5a size speaker can do AC/DC! Huge sound from tiny box. So more of an all-rounder.

You can get that Stirling V2 sound by buying their ready-made replacement baffles for £372.00.
I recently fitted a pair into my old, restored, ex. BBC Rogers cabinets. They sounded exactly like the Stirling LS3/5a V2s I recently sold.
Yes, Derek Hughes is a genius.

You can get that Stirling V2 sound by buying their ready-made replacement baffles for £372.00.
I recently fitted a pair into my old, restored, ex. BBC Rogers cabinets. They sounded exactly like the Stirling LS3/5a V2s I recently sold.
Yes, Derek Hughes is a genius.
Are these to the same tolerances as fully built Stirling ls3/5as?

I see that Graham has added to the stable; its budget contribution, the Swisstone LS3. General idea seems to be to capture a healthy share of the LS3/5a legacy with a simplified crossover, dispensing with costly veneer.
I've just asked the North American distributor about pricing, hoping they'll come in around the $1K mark.

By way of update; now informed Graham LS3 pricing is USD 1895, CAD 2460. So, competitive for the nouveau LS3/5a segment, but not exactly a deep discount. Apparently the 'just under a 1000' rumours were in terms of Brit pounds.
Distributors 'On a Higher Note' kindly sent me a link to a fairly johnny-on-the-spot Hi Fi plus review. Regrets; beyond my skills to attach the link here.

So, with some faith based on my ongoing enjoyment of the Graham LS5/9s, I remain unsure whether the new LS3 or the prior Graham LS3/5 is the better bet. Or just get the Sub 3 for my little Harbeths. I know, listen first; but that involves a thousand mile journey....

Cheers,
Paul

Just purchased the Graham/Chartwell LS3/5 from Art et Son, Montreal. Should reach me by midweek.
Curiosity got the better of me; I was going to wait for the cheaper Swisstone LS3. When my wife questions me, mostly I blame Martyn for the collectors' bug - for LS 3/5a variants, descendants, prequels, etc.

Cheers,
-paul-

Just purchased the Graham/Chartwell LS3/5 from Art et Son, Montreal. Should reach me by midweek.
Curiosity got the better of me; I was going to wait for the cheaper Swisstone LS3. When my wife questions me, mostly I blame Martyn for the collectors' bug - for LS 3/5a variants, descendants, prequels, etc.

Cheers,
-paul-

My wife often questions me about speakers.
I can take the blame for your wife’s questions.
My shoulders are wide...

Talking of LS3/5a variants, I am intrigued by the Celef LS8.
Knowing of Stewart Tyler’s reputation, it will no doubt be very good.

Curious myself on the Celef model, wonder if they can be bought in US? Martyn, where do you find them?

I had thought I saw an Ebay ad for them, but had been some time ago, and I wasn’t sure if it was only for UK only. Depending on what I could get a pair shipped to me here, could be tempting....

Keep posting lads as we do need more threads on small speakers. ( Thumbs up.)

There are some cracking ones available at the moment.:)

By way of update; now informed Graham LS3 pricing is USD 1895, CAD 2460. So, competitive for the nouveau LS3/5a segment, but not exactly a deep discount. Apparently the 'just under a 1000' rumours were in terms of Brit pounds.
Distributors 'On a Higher Note' kindly sent me a link to a fairly johnny-on-the-spot Hi Fi plus review. Regrets; beyond my skills to attach the link here.

So, with some faith based on my ongoing enjoyment of the Graham LS5/9s, I remain unsure whether the new LS3 or the prior Graham LS3/5 is the better bet. Or just get the Sub 3 for my little Harbeths. I know, listen first; but that involves a thousand mile journey....

Cheers,
Paul

I have seen both £600 & £1000 pricetag for Swisstone LS3
If 600 is right I will order them instantly
(Nothing I could find on Graham site)

I had thought I saw an Ebay ad for them, but had been some time ago, and I wasn’t sure if it was only for UK only. Depending on what I could get a pair shipped to me here, could be tempting....

There is a pair of LS8s on eBay at £1175.

There is a pair of LS8s on eBay at £1175.

Thanks Martyn, I might check this out. I would really like Falcons, but the price is a bit much to swallow right now. I may have to have lowered expectations, or just wait, which is probably the prudent thing to do!

advertisement

Back