advertisement

Graham Audio is making BOTH an LS3/5 and an LS3/5a

I've listened to a very few LS3/5a in my life: some Rogers a century ago, in a friend's store; KEFs, at TopAudio, Milano, years ago; to some AudioSpace which are just a Chinese clone, a pair of Stirling V2 recently, finding them interesting.
I have some experience of the HP3/ESRs, and I only lukewarmly like them.

I'd like to be more attracted to them; I have recently been offered an apparently mint, and very rare the seller says, pair of Harbeth 11ohm LS3/5As, with graphics and all, but I cannot audition them.

Would someone try to synthesise in a few words why the hype about them?
Thanks,
Max

Would someone try to synthesise in a few words why the hype about them?

From my perspective three things; a very natural, neutral and un-hyped tonal balance that sounds superb on classical, jazz and other acoustic music, very well behaved sealed box so no stunt-bass, booms or honks, and they are a very easy load so you can use a nice tube amp rather than being stuck with only solid state (very rare with such little speakers). Set them up with a really good source and (preferably tube) amp upstream, stick on a string quartet or some jazz and they are just magical.

From my perspective three things; a very natural, neutral and un-hyped tonal balance that sounds superb on classical, jazz and other acoustic music, very well behaved sealed box so no stunt-bass, booms or honks, and they are a very easy load so you can use a nice tube amp rather than being stuck with only solid state (very rare with such little speakers). Set them up with a really good source and (preferably tube) amp upstream, stick on a string quartet or some jazz and they are just magical.

Well put, Tony.
You have summed up why these little speakers are still loved.
I can sit in front of them for hours enjoying the music...

Thanks. Today I could finally audition a pair of Graham Audio LS5/9, and although they are not LS3/5As – and they were connected to a monstrously costly Luxman/Tara Labs system – I think I had an idea of why the hype about BBC designs: they are probably the best stand mount loudspeakers I have heard so far. And they were not fully run in. I liked them a lot, and am now completely re-considering my listening habits, my options, my priorities.

Precisely Tony.

Falcon are the only manufacturers to actually hold the BBC licence. No other company does, despite what some might assume. Falcon are also the only company to be making the new drive units exactly to spec (with improvements in things like the basket design and construction). Therefore, one can argue that they are currently the only "proper" LS3/5a.

The difference between the kits and the factory Falcons is that the factory models have cabinets carefully assembled to precise spec (kits will vary depending on who is assembling them) and crossover/drive units selected and tested to match the master curve for response, and certified as such. I'd guess that the kits are no longer offered as they were probably not very profitable, plus UK sales were probably next to nothing. Most Falcon Ls3/5a's made probably end up overseas. I doubt that many are now sold in the UK, as the new hifi market isn't well enough supported, which is rather sad but it's too small a market.

In answer to your second paragraph, the cabinets used for the kits and the factory Falcon LS3/5as are identical.
As for the performance of the kit versus a factory LS3/5a, you might be interested in my findings.
I built a Falcon kit for a friend and sometime later we compared them with a pair of Falcon built LS3/5as.
Neither of us could hear any difference.

Quite why LS3/5As should be worth so much more than Spendor BC1s, Rogers Export Monitors, Quad ESL57s etc. is beyond me...

I agree.
As far as I can see it’s due to obsessive LS3/5a collectors in the Far East.
One collector has 16 pairs !
Another, called Jo Ki, has even more which include anniversary models, specials and
the like.
You can buy a pair of brand new Falcon Acoustics LS3/5as for something over £2,000,
but collectors will pay over £3,000 for a pair of Chartwell ‘3/5as.
It’s an odd world...

Recently, Rogers brought out a limited edition 70th Anniversary LS3/5a.
210 pairs were made and are now all sold.
The UK Price was £2,700.
More expensive than the Falcons...

Saw those video promos for the Rogers 70th anniversary edition, English designer representing Chinese owner, if I understood correctly. Could not tell how one might purchase in North America. Just as well, having heard the price...

Nothing wrong with buying for historic or sentimental value of course. But I'd like to see a shootout include some modern evolutions drawing on the strengths of the LS3/5a, without pretending to be replicas. For example, the Proac Tab 10 and the KEF LS50. See how the Falcons, Stirlings, Spens, Grahams and originals compare in absolute terms. Once you open up the field that much, hard to know quite where to stop. Also hard to find enough people who can listen to a good sample of the field...Martyn may come closest to comprehensive sampling experience.

Thanks. Today I could finally audition a pair of Graham Audio LS5/9, and although they are not LS3/5As – and they were connected to a monstrously costly Luxman/Tara Labs system – I think I had an idea of why the hype about BBC designs: they are probably the best stand mount loudspeakers I have heard so far. And they were not fully run in. I liked them a lot, and am now completely re-considering my listening habits, my options, my priorities.

The Graham model you mention are amazing sounding monitors, can only endorse your post.

Saw those video promos for the Rogers 70th anniversary edition, English designer representing Chinese owner, if I understood correctly. Could not tell how one might purchase in North America. Just as well, having heard the price...

Nothing wrong with buying for historic or sentimental value of course. But I'd like to see a shootout include some modern evolutions drawing on the strengths of the LS3/5a, without pretending to be replicas. For example, the Proac Tab 10 and the KEF LS50. See how the Falcons, Stirlings, Spens, Grahams and originals compare in absolute terms. Once you open up the field that much, hard to know quite where to stop. Also hard to find enough people who can listen to a good sample of the field... Martyn may come closest to comprehensive sampling experience.

I have just written to Hi-Fi News about another comparison of LS3/5as and similar speakers. A lot has changed since the June 2001 LS3/5a Shootout. We have the Falcons as brand new LS3/5as. Something we didn’t have in 2001.
We also have the Stirling V2s. They’re superb. Don’t dismiss them. I didn’t believe how good they were until I bought a pair. My own history of various makes ( Audiomasters, Falcons, Harbeths and Rogers ) has been fascinating and enlightening. Various ‘3/5a clones and customers’ reaction to them has added to my knowledge.
The whole small BBC Monitor area is alive and very interesting.

Whilst not strictly LS3/5as I think the Tablette 10s and Celefs could go in that shootout to fill it out a bit.

I have just written to Hi-Fi News about another comparison of LS3/5as and similar speakers. A lot has changed since the June 2001 LS3/5a Shootout. We have the Falcons as brand new LS3/5as. Something we didn’t have in 2001.
We also have the Stirling V2s. They’re superb. Don’t dismiss them. I didn’t believe how good they were until I bought a pair. My own history of various makes ( Audiomasters, Falcons, Harbeths and Rogers ) has been fascinating and enlightening. Various ‘3/5a clones and customers’ reaction to them has added to my knowledge.
The whole small BBC Monitor area is alive and very interesting.
Great idea- I hadn’t appreciated how long it is since they last did it. I remember devouring the article at the time. I believe Ai still have the edition.

I have the Graham LS5/9; very fine in a more open space than would suit an LS3/5a sized speaker.
I haven't compared the ‘5/9 to a Harbeth, Stirling or Spendor of similar size; that would be interesting.

The Stirling LS3/6 has been well received. I have been meaning to hearing to hear a pair.
It’s interesting that you mention Spendor. I haven’t heard a modern one.
I do own BC1s ( since 1976 ) and they’re a long term reference for me.
They suit my main system beautifully and I’ll never sell them.
The Harbeth HL5 is BC1 sized and has many fans
I own P3-ESRs, one of the popular alternatives to LS3/5as.
Not everyone’s ‘cup of tea’, but a superb loudspeaker.

The Stirling LS3/6 has been well received. I have been meaning to hearing to hear a pair.
It’s interesting that you mention Spendor. I haven’t heard a modern one.
I do own BC1s ( since 1976 ) and they’re a long term reference for me.
They suit my main system beautifully and I’ll never sell them.
The Harbeth HL5 is BC1 sized and has many fans
I own P3-ESRs, one of the popular alternatives to LS3/5as.
Not everyone’s ‘cup of tea’, but a superb loudspeaker.

I bought the P3-ES2s when they were current; just before the Radial driver was put into the little guys. I've had them ever since. I suppose the are my real reference speaker; not because they are better in every way than everything else up to $5 or $6K. It's just that I keep coming back to them for the pleasure of the human voice; the clarity and natural warmth. I tend to judge other speakers by comparson to the Harbeth vocals, including the spoken word, as well as song. The Graham LS5/9s and the Stirling V2s make the grade, and I don't doubt that other credible BBC legacy speakers may as well. One of the main criterion for me is whether they avoid excess sibilance; and does the diction come through so I can sort out the various Brit accents on shows like Shetland, Hinterland, Trainspotting etc. Or, is a singer enunciating distinctly, or are they sounding like they had a drink too may before recording? Of course, some have...

People ask what is the enduring fascination with the LS3/5a or descendants; I think it must be the preternatural vocals, easily overshot in the quest for more brilliant detail, deeper bass, bigger scale.

As to Spendors, for LS3/5 comparison purposes, I was thinking more of the Classic line, now discontinued, which I've not heard.

advertisement

Back