advertisement

Govt to tackle obesity..apparently

What excuse did Labour use for the >20,000 Influenza deaths in the winter of 1999/2000 ?
I don't know, and a quick Google shed no light. Are you suggesting that Labour blamed the high number of influenza deaths that year on obesity? Do you have a link to that, if so?

Overweight people are been vilified, and this will do such a great job of helping with that. Well done government, what a f**k up!

fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.u2.jpg

take 2

No, you do not need to be fairly well-off to eat healthily.

But the temptations are there. Go to any rough looking estate, and there’ll be at least a couple of takeaways in a parade of shops. They’ll have made their food from the very cheapest ingredients and will pay their employees the lowest wage possible, so all that Wayne and Waynetta see is an easy meal for not much more than some fresh ingredients in a nearby shop, if, of course, the local shop even bothers with fresh veg etc.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think obesity has a lot to do with advertising, poverty or education.

I think it is a mental health issue and the question shouldn't be about how do we cut down on junk food but more focused on why people are choosing to eat to excess/unhealthily on an ever increasing scale in the first place.

Lets not be daft, even if you're thick or poor you know that a plate full of junk food swilled down with fizzy pop is unhealthy, yet it doesn't put many people off. We need to be asking why people are choosing to put themselves at risk of serious health conditions or completely not caring about their health at all, that is a mental health problem in my opinion. I think large swathes of the country are self medicating with comfort eating and drinking due to various levels of depression/unhappiness.

But the temptations are there. Go to any rough looking estate, and there’ll be at least a couple of takeaways in a parade of shops. They’ll have made their food from the very cheapest ingredients and will pay their employees the lowest wage possible, so all that Wayne and Waynetta see is an easy meal for not much more than some fresh ingredients in a nearby shop, if, of course, the local shop even bothers with fresh veg etc.

That is about education rather than being fairly well off, or not.

There are plenty of well off folk who have a poor diet.

I think large swathes of the country are self medicating with comfort eating and drinking due to various levels of depression/unhappiness.

I agree, but I don't think that is the sole reason people are fat.

Education, finances, addiction, sheer ignorance, willful lack of exercise and many more factors.

The Tories are useless, I guess most of us agree on that one by now.

Can we now please move to the actual topic which I find rather interesting. @stevec67 , where are you ?
He’s notified the membership a few times I’m obnoxious so has me on ignore. The kid won’t know what the thread is about unless someone who agrees with him quotes the OP in full.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think obesity has a lot to do with advertising, poverty or education.

I think it is a mental health issue and the question shouldn't be about how do we cut down on junk food but more focused on why people are choosing to eat to excess/unhealthily on an ever increasing scale in the first place.

Lets not be daft, even if you're thick or poor you know that a plate full of junk food swilled down with fizzy pop is unhealthy, yet it doesn't put many people off. We need to be asking why people are choosing to put themselves at risk of serious health conditions or completely not caring about their health at all, that is a mental health problem in my opinion. I think large swathes of the country are self medicating with comfort eating and drinking due to various levels of depression/unhappiness.
People are addicted, matt. It’s how the food industry makes its profit. It’s like how people are addicted to smoking.

I think the policy is to reduce the number of 'buy one get one free' offers on junk food, and move confectionary away from the till area.

What annoys me is that the own brand value products are often soo low I cannot read the labels, or see the price easily. Never mind being difficult to pick up.
I think they put high value product at eye height. Swines.
Yes, they do. As you know, I’m disabled (and overweight as a result) and this is a very real problem for me.

Yes, they do. As you know, I’m disabled (and overweight as a result) and this is a very real problem for me.

4 pack Bounties for a quid. I am in like Flynn.

I am negotiating with the wife to eat our main meal at around 13:00 hrs. rather than 18:00 - 19:00 hrs. I think we will lose weight and my heart burn will decrease.

She has agreed to a month trial. I have high hopes.

I would like the government to look at the medication that they give people, as I know at least two of the drugs I take daily are known to cause people to put on weight.

But then there is an alternative view for me, being overweight is largely more beneficial than being dead, which would be the alternative to not taking said drugs.

They will be very worried about stress on NHS with Covid, cancer etc. and where to make savings.It’s a key focus on the Public rather than themselves, quite rightly. ,though there’s likely method here.This will be a strategy as they progress. Minimising hospital visits will be key. They will also work that extended stays at home since Covid will likely cause greater obesity as people eat more, drink more and exercise less.was always going to be a problem. I’m fortunate as a very physical temporary job these last two months have led to a weight loss of 10kg or so taking me much nearer to my BMI.

Then they should concentrate on health rather than weight. Weight is considered to be the demon, but we all know people that are skinny and eat crap constantly and others that are overweight but eat healthy. Being overweight doesn't automatically mean you are unhealthy!

If crisps, fizzy drinks and chocolate bars are bad for you why do they still sell them in hospitals?

LOL. I spent a couple of weeks staying in a hospital a year or so ago when my son was taken ill and trying to get healthy food in their canteen was a serious joke. Even the salad options had full fat dressings on everything!

which strongly suggests this is a good thing. just take the win and move on.

Well, quite. The tobacco industry fought restrictions on cigarette advertising and increased taxation, despite the proven health risks associated with smoking.

Diet is only part of the problem, we’ve always eaten unhealthy crap (anyone fed beef dripping on toast as a kid?), lack of exercise is a really big problem. As an able bodied person, I ate what I wanted and was never at all overweight, I’ve always been fairly well built, but not fat. Now as a disabled person, I’ve stacked on weight, my medications don’t help but lack of exercise is the killer. I had lost a lot of weight when I had access to a swimming pool and a disabled friendly gym... but through lockdown, my weight has rocketed again, despite eating less and eating better.

To give you some idea,

Able bodied me, ate whatever I liked,

m9t0LXj.jpg

Disabled and under exercised but fairly healthy eating me,

anWjQlq.jpg

advertisement

Back