advertisement

Govt to tackle obesity..apparently

How does a doc prescribe cycling?
Do I get a free bike?
Yes, I was wondering that, GPs up and down the land must be so pleased on hearing the announcement. I presume the bikes will be dispensed at the pharmacy, two to be taken with food

Don't you need to be fairly well-off to eat healthily these days?

No you need the ability to cook, though as Facetime Snapagram and Titter seem more important people do not have the time. So ordering a takeaway is seen as the 'sensible' option.

Large Coke with that please.

It's got nothing to do with public health, and everything to do with shifting blame for the UK's high COVID death rate away from govt incompetence.

But studies of Covid-19 patients in France, Italy, China and the United States have also identified chronic conditions that place even younger patients at risk. Near the top of the list: obesity.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...of-covid-19-we-need-to-take-it-more-seriously

Overweight and obesity are the fifth leading risk for global deaths. At least 2.8 million adults die each year as a result of being overweight or obese.

Its all the fault of government.

Way to go to miss the point there, misterdog. Outstanding.

The reason why it's an effective strategy for this useless shower of adolescent culture warrior feckwits to focus on it is because the science does indeed indicate obesity is a factor in COVID mortality. But the very high death rates in the UK are unlikely to be *primarily* a result of obesity, and the mainstream of scientific opinion is clear what caused it: late and poorly imposed lockdown, lack of PPE, and a catastrophically stupid care homes policy.

The Tories will do anything to weasel out of their responsibility for all of that. Picking on obesity is an easy thing for them to do to divert attention from their own culpability and incompetence.

It's the Tory government saying 'Look over there! Badgers!' Distraction politics, stealing the headlines for 'doing something', even though we know nothing will actually be done.

Only Brazil's leader (OK, Trump as well maybe) has done worse than Boris in 'leading the country': shaking hands with COVID patients, ignoring social distancing and thus infecting Cabinet colleagues, then to cap it all, letting his adviser off scot-free despite him blatantly flouting lockdown rules. He keeps banging on about 'British common sense' whilst clearly lacking even the tiniest bit of it.

What excuse did Labour use for the >20,000 Influenza deaths in the winter of 1999/2000 ?

You don't think all politicians are essentially the same, just under a different coloured flag ?

What excuse did Labour use for the >20,000 Influenza deaths in 1999/2000 ?

You don't think all politicians are essentially the same, just under a different coloured flag ?

Nope. I think some are far more dishonest and incompetent than others.

The Tories will do anything to weasel out of their responsibility for all of that. Picking on obesity is an easy thing for them to do to divert attention from their own culpability and incompetence.
The Tories are useless, I guess most of us agree on that one by now.

Can we now please move to the actual topic which I find rather interesting. @stevec67 , where are you ?

No, I don't think racist populist nationalists like Bolsonaro, Trump, and Johnson are the same as mainstream social democrats, or even mainstream Tories, and I don't think they operate in at all the same way. Not least in the use of gaslighting and lying on an absolutely industrial scale.

What are you basing your comment on? Probably sensible to establish what you regard as healthy eating?

I think it is easy to eat healthy these days.

There are many factors I think.

People thinking they are 'time-poor,' and therefore buying processed or fast food, this is a common media pushed excuse.

Also, people are lazy and cannot be bothered to cook.

Parents haven't taught their kids how to cook (shameful)

Kids who get spoiled by their parents. "Our Henry will not eat vegetables, he will only eat chicken nuggets..."

(Probably more obvious comments, but I am on a mission)

Yes there are many factors. I was referring to money-poor - a lot of people struggle to get enough food into their mouths let alone good quality food. Healthy eating IMO is about getting the right nutrients.

They will be very worried about stress on NHS with Covid, cancer etc. and where to make savings.It’s a key focus on the Public rather than themselves, quite rightly. ,though there’s likely method here.This will be a strategy as they progress. Minimising hospital visits will be key. They will also work that extended stays at home since Covid will likely cause greater obesity as people eat more, drink more and exercise less.was always going to be a problem. I’m fortunate as a very physical temporary job these last two months have led to a weight loss of 10kg or so taking me much nearer to my BMI.
I was thinking along the lines of your first point. How to save money and alleviate the burden on the NHS even if it pisses off the food manufacturers.

I don't know how many young people watch TV any more, I wonder if the regs will extend to online advertising?

Anyway, better late than never.

advertisement

Back