advertisement

Govt to tackle obesity..apparently

anyone fed beef dripping on toast as a kid?),

Yes, with plenty of salt, naturally.

lack of exercise is a really big problem. As an able bodied person, I ate what I wanted and was never at all overweight, I’ve always been fairly well built, but not fat. Now as a disabled person, I’ve stacked on weight, my medications don’t help but lack of exercise is the killer. I had lost a lot of weight when I had access to a swimming pool and a disabled friendly gym... but through lockdown, my weight has rocketed again, despite eating less and eating better.

Agreed. As someone who was forced to endure sports at school, I have never been 'conditioned' to enjoy sport or exercise of any kind. So, although I carefully control calories in, it's still not enough to stop me from being a 14st lump.

Diet is only part of the problem, we’ve always eaten unhealthy crap (anyone fed beef dripping on toast as a kid?), lack of exercise is a really big problem. As an able bodied person, I ate what I wanted and was never at all overweight, I’ve always been fairly well built, but not fat. Now as a disabled person, I’ve stacked on weight, my medications don’t help but lack of exercise is the killer. I had lost a lot of weight when I had access to a swimming pool and a disabled friendly gym... but through lockdown, my weight has rocketed again, despite eating less and eating better.

To give you some idea,

Able bodied me, ate whatever I liked,

m9t0LXj.jpg

Disabled and under exercised but fairly healthy eating me,

anWjQlq.jpg

I’m not sure that you look much bigger to me...

Yes, with plenty of salt, naturally.

Agreed. As someone who was forced to endure sports at school, I have never been 'conditioned' to enjoy sport or exercise of any kind. So, although I carefully control calories in, it's still not enough to stop me from being a 14st lump.
14st would be a healthy weight for me, but I’m a big framed, broad shouldered guy. At 12 stone, my face starts to look gaunt. I’m touching 18st right now and I’m really not happy with it.

I agree, but I don't think that is the sole reason people are fat.

Education, finances, addiction, sheer ignorance, willful lack of exercise and many more factors.

You can't out train a bad diet though. Diet is far and away the most important, exercise is good for your overall health but nigh on useless for controlling weight.

I don't buy education as a reason either, you can put a plate full of salad and a plate full of junk food in front of any 5 year old and they'd know which was the healthy option, there's no excuse for a grown adult.

14st would be a healthy weight for me, but I’m a big framed, broad shouldered guy. At 12 stone, my face starts to look gaunt. I’m touching 18st right now and I’m really not happy with it.

I hit getting on for 15 stone not long ago.

Since getting a pre-diabetes diagnosis I have tried to change my eating habits (and drinking.). I am a bit over 13 st. now, if I get to anywhere near 12 st. it will be a miracle .

I have unreal expectations that changing main meal times will bring dramatic change with little effort. Here's hoping.

You can't out train a bad diet though. Diet is far and away the most important, exercise is good for your overall health but nigh on useless for controlling weight.

I don't buy education as a reason either, you can put a plate full of salad and a plate full of junk food in front of any 5 year old and they'd know which was the healthy option, there's no excuse for a grown adult.

I thought you meant that depression/mental health issues is the only reason for overeating or choosing a poor diet? Apologies if I got that wrong.

You don't put junk food for a child as an option. In fact giving kids options is part of the problem.

If children are educated to cook and shop and manage a household budget, then after some time there will be positive change.

They'll probably just cut off your NHS access if your BMI exceeds a certain number.

Exercise is hugely important, it’s pretty straight forward, burn more calories than you eat and you’ll lose weight. You’re better off consuming 2500 calories and burning 3000 than consuming 1000 and burning 1500 whilst sat on your arse all day.

Irrespective of that, too much saturated fat, too much salt and too much sugar is a bad thing, they do the damage you don’t see. you can be stick thin and very unhealthy with heart disease, diabete, high blood pressure and absolutely no stamina to speak of. Conversely, you can be a little chunky but very fit and healthy, able to run a good couple of miles a day, or in my case, swim a couple of miles a day.

I thought you meant that depression/mental health issues is the only reason for overeating or choosing a poor diet? Apologies if I got that wrong.

You don't put junk food for a child as an option. In fact giving kids options is part of the problem.

If children are educated to cook and shop and manage a household budget, then after some time there will be positive change.

No I'm saying even young kids know the difference between unhealthy an healthy food, so the education point for both them and adults is moot as they already know it. My point had nothing to do with giving kids the choice.

My main point is why people continue to choose to eat unhealthily when they know it's bad for them in many different ways, when the healthy option of a balanced diet isn't expensive or hard to achieve.

No I'm saying even young kids know the difference between unhealthy an healthy food, so the education point for both them and adults is moot as they already know it. My point had nothing to do with giving kids the choice.

My main point is why people continue to choose to eat unhealthily when they know it's bad for them in many different ways, when the healthy option of a balanced diet isn't expensive or hard to achieve.

see my post #17

"Also, people are lazy and cannot be bothered to cook."

I would add that there are many thick people in the world

(in terms of an unhealthy diet)

Exercise is hugely important, it’s pretty straight forward, burn more calories than you eat and you’ll lose weight. You’re better off consuming 2500 calories and burning 3000 than consuming 1000 and burning 1500 whilst sat on your arse all day.

Irrespective of that, too much saturated fat, too much salt and too much sugar is a bad thing, they do the damage you don’t see. you can be stick thin and very unhealthy with heart disease, diabete, high blood pressure and absolutely no stamina to speak of. Conversely, you can be a little chunky but very fit and healthy, able to run a good couple of miles a day, or in my case, swim a couple of miles a day.

You have it backwards, it's much easier to control your weight with a healthy diet and hardly any exercise than it is to eat what you like and trying to burn it off.

Exercise is good for your health no doubt, but in isolation it's useless for weight control. Sorry to say but people use it as an excuse for not controlling their weight "Oh I don't/can't go to the gym so I'll always be fat" is a load of bull shit.

Absolutely agree 100%, it boils my p!ss when I see people eating proper fresh cooked food whilst shovelling chips, waffles, chicken nuggets and pizza in their kids faces, flowing/followed by chocolate, sweets, crisps and fizzy pop... the amount of times I’ve heard “he/she won’t eat that/they’ll only eat”... grow a pair, put up with some tantrums, and feed them some proper food.
My daughter eats ANYTHING (apart from junk) because she’s always just eaten the same as me without any issue being made about it... in fact I’ve had other parents surprised that she eats the same as me.

You have it backwards, it's much easier to control your weight with a healthy diet and hardly any exercise than it is to eat what you like and trying to burn it off.

Exercise is good for your health no doubt, but in isolation it's useless for weight control. Sorry to say but people use it as an excuse for not controlling their weight "Oh I don't/can't go to the gym so I'll always be fat" is a load of bull shit.
Well if you eat more calories than you burn, you’ll put weight on, that’s obvious. I just can’t see how you can sit around all the time, never exercise and stay healthy, you’ll get muscle wastage, poor circulation/cardiovascular health, and be more prone to depression. I’m not an expert, I just think many people need to get off their arses more. My point is that you can be thin but desperately unfit.

I am guilty of eating more than I burn off, I’m on huge quantities of steroids which really don’t help but I usually exercise A LOT... I’ve been forced to drop the exercise but I’ve not dropped my diet accordingly (because I still felt hungry, rather than stuffing my face out of boredom)... I’ve recognised it and curbed my diet accordingly but I won’t properly shift weight until I’ve got my exercise regime back, exercise works for me, it’s imperative for me... but that said, I can’t walk properly so I lose out on that front.

No
Then they should concentrate on health rather than weight. Weight is considered to be the demon, but we all know people that are skinny and eat crap constantly and others that are overweight but eat healthy. Being overweight doesn't automatically mean you are unhealthy!
True but waist size and recent evidence is worrying.

My Dad has had the same issue whilst on steroids. He’s lost a lot of weight since he stopped using them. We’ve always eaten healthily as a family. I think wee guilty of eating too much though. And r recuse is massive. Since working at Amazon this last 6 weeks I’ve lost 11kg. Hardly changed my eating habits.

My Dad has had the same issue whilst on steroids. He’s lost a lot of weight since he stopped using them. We’ve always eaten healthily as a family. I think wee guilty of eating too much though. And r recuse is massive. Since working at Amazon this last 6 weeks I’ve lost 11kg. Hardly changed my eating habits.
I do keep trying to kick the steroids but my arthritis and bowel issues respond badly to it, catch 22. I’m going for a colonoscopy next week, if I require an operation following it, I’m going to ask about a gastric band, I don’t know whether they’ll do that though because I’m not THAT overweight... and when I can exercise properly, I do lose weight.

Being active is really important (in my opinion/experience) and working somewhere like Amazon will definitely keep you on your toes. I can’t do anything like that because I can’t even walk without sticks, so I have to offset it with an adapted exercise regime.

All I can think about is beef dripping sandwiches with some of the jelly and brown sauce smeared on it.

I can see it.

I can taste it

and I know we'll never meet again.

Reactions: vuk
I do keep trying to kick the steroids but my arthritis and bowel issues respond badly to it, catch 22. I’m going for a colonoscopy next week, if I require an operation following it, I’m going to ask about a gastric band, I don’t know whether they’ll do that though because I’m not THAT overweight... and when I can exercise properly, I do lose weight.

Being active is really important (in my opinion/experience) and working somewhere like Amazon will definitely keep you on your toes. I can’t do anything like that because I can’t even walk without sticks, so I have to offset it with an adapted exercise regime.

Beef dripping by the way.Yum.My grandad used to wipe the roast tray with home baked Stottie cake. What a treat! My Dad took them for arthritis as well but he also had several pulmonary embolisms in his lungs last year and his lung capacity has reduced by 50% so like you he is Catch 22 though we’re trying to help him get an effective regime together as he’s a little passive.

Can we now please move to the actual topic which I find rather interesting. @stevec67 , where are you ?

Ok. so obesity (and lack of exercise) is a smokescreen, it's all BJ's fault.

Lets take a look at Japan, double our population, island nation, far higher population density, and the worlds highest age demographic.
They never had an enforced lockdown, and to this day have only carried out PCR tests on 348,000 people out of a population of 126 million .

Oh a recipe for disaster.

Covid 19 death toll to date 996.

Do your own research, here are some starters. Or take the lazy approach and blame the nearest target. Absolving 'the self' from any culpability.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ent of Japanese,only 24.7 percent of Japanese.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53188847

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ccess-story-how-japan-has-tackled-coronavirus

Someone responded earlier to the >20,000 death toll under Tony Blair in 99/00 from a virus for which we have had a vaccine since the 1940's. by saying that they only had 2 years from the previous Tory government to 'prepare'.

Well given the prosperous economy they benefited from in the following 8 years, how did they prepare our nation for the next viral catastrophe ?

How were care homes, and ICU's improved ?

advertisement

Back