Field support communication
Direct powerful retail growth
You stick your input in, your output out
Co-ordinate your strategy and shake it all about
And oh oh-oh-oh, here’s the bottom line
I’ll not be taken on board at this present moment in time

Half Man Half Biscuit: ITMA

Greg,

Surely a reasonable word when vampire hunting though?
Damn straight, homey.

Buffy_Pointu.jpg

Joe

Basil,

Buffologist, yes. But not a Certified Buffologist.

That title can be conferred only upon those who have had full Buffy training, not the Luke Skywalker types who bugger off to save Han and Leia from Darth before complete is their training.

Nothing more will I teach you today.

Joe

Forgive me master, but which part of 'certified' allows you to mix 'n' match Buffy and Star Wars metaphors?

Basil,

That's the certification — to be able to Trek up the place one minute, Buff it the next, then Yoda it up the wazoo, all without breaking a sweat, man.

Joe

I know it's a Big Ask, but you gotta accept that language moves on, don't you know?

Moving forward (already ridiculed by Zappa in Tinseltown Rebellion in the 80s; it's a persistent one), legacy types who just don't get it will be right-sized. We need all stakeholders pulling in the same direction..

Keep it authentic.

(to anyone wanting a bit of fun at the expense of management types I recommend Lucy Kellaway's Monday columns in the FT. She makes a living by ridiculing management speak.)

(Stakeholders inevitably conjures an image in my mind of Roman Polanski in The Fearless Vampire Killers (Pardon me, but your teeth are in my neck) or a Neandertal walking around with a choice bit of sirloin)

That's my Dad'' excuse for the atrocities he commits everyday.

What is sloppiness and what is normal evolution?

The example cited, having an "ask"s is clearly a corruption of a verb into noun, so is grammatically wrong. I'm no expert but that's how I see it.

My first boss told me off for saying "hopefully it will be alright", As he correctly observed, whether the object is hopeful or not is irrelevant (apart from once recently, I haven't used that expression in 25 years).

I prefer "But there are two in 'meaningless platitude'"

I think the original from The Office was "There's no 'I' in 'team'. But then there's no 'I' in 'useless smug colleague', either. And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure."

advertisement

Back