advertisement

General Election 2024

@Mick P what’s your view on how countries should approach dealing with vulnerable minorities and people who are not well equipped to look after or better themselves?

I'd get the popcorn in for that. And contribute to a crowdfunder if one was set up for that purpose.
There is a crowdfunder already, it closed for new donations at around £500k as the case it was originally set up for was settled ooc. Hopefully it was worded so he could use it if he wanted.

Yeah sure, but look at who's going to replace them. Another bunch of morons with no integrity or values.

Sorry, they may have no integrity or values but they’re not morons. They’re just waiting for their turn at the trough.

We mustn't forget, that people who smoke, don't need to be told, its not good for them, they're not stupid. Secondly, it does not matter, what scenario the ,almost left party inherit, the redtops will see to it, that they can't, do it.
The legislation did nothing to force existing smokers to stop smoking, it just ensured (or was intended to do so at least) that younger generations don't take up smoking in the first place. If successful, it would be a gradual removal of smoking from our society that impinged on absolutely no smokers rights to continue smoking. I struggle to understand how anybody can see that as a negative thing.

What is your definition of vulnerable minorities?

PS - Just popping out for Lunch, will reply later.
I was leaving it broad, but would include physically disabled people, people with mental health issues, LGBT+, asylum seekers; not an exhaustive list by any means and there are also plenty of other minorities less obviously vulnerable, but still clearly disadvantaged, such as ethnic minorities, people in 'left behind' communities, etc.

Call me morbid call me pale

the lesser of 2 evils

cutting off one’s nose to spite the face

best of a bad lot

I don’t get you guys sometimes. All over the EU there most likely will be a move to the right in elections in June, which may well threaten the EU going forward.

In the UK it looks like there will be a defeat for a right wing government with them losing power. Now you can argue all day about how left Labour is but if Labour win the election, it certainly isn’t a lurch to the right which has to be a good thing. The UK will probably be the European outlier by not lurching to the right.

Embrace it, it could be a the start of the dismantling of some of the Thatcher era stupidity. It’s probably likely that some water companies will be re-nationalised and not inconceivable that rail would also be in Labour’s first term. It would be stupid for Starmer to frighten the horses at this stage in the campaign but I would expect a Labour government to be much better than what a lot of you seem to think and not be Tory-Lite By a long shot.

.sjb
Labour are another lurch to the right

Labour are Thatcherite stupidity.

Labour have already promised more Thatcherite stupidity.

Labour have promised more privatisation, not less

I was leaving it broad, but would include physically disabled people, people with mental health issues, LGBT+, asylum seekers; not an exhaustive list by any means and there are also plenty of other minorities less obviously vulnerable, but still clearly disadvantaged, such as ethnic minorities, people in 'left behind' communities, etc.

Also see children living in poverty caused by callous government policies.

Spain suffered from a Franco dictatorship but millions of Spaniards still love him because he brought foreign money into the country and anyone involved in export industries did well under him. He died in 1975 and democracy was restored in a matter of months.

The Spanish have a far better education than us, for instance how many foreign languages are you fluent in?

Over here second and third languages in youngsters are common.

However they are paid worse than us and they work longer hours. Believe me if you work over here doing the same job as you do in the UK, you would be way worse off. However unless you speak reasonable Spanish, you would be unemployable.
I had a quick look on a cost of living comparison site to see how Madrid fares against London.

Madrid wages are about half(!) but rent, utilities and public transport are also about half.

The site calculates that overall the purchasing power of the average Madrid worker is about 10% less then their London counterparts. Not great. Not terrible.

Income inequality measured by the Gini coefficient peaked in the UK in 2001, but that doesn't contradict your point.. the long term rise began in 1983. It takes about four/five years for government policy changes to have an impact on a measure like this. The turnaround after 2001 was started in 1997; the rise in 1983 was started in 1979..

Here's the UK with its neighbours, plus the USA, higher values are worse:

“In the year to 2022/23, incomes for those in the bottom 80% fell before housing costs and incomes for those in the top 10% increased”

I cannot forget Thatchers response when she was asked what was her greatest achievement. She replied Tony Blair and New Labour. She forced them to change.

This is why we now have two very similar parties ruling the roost.
If we did have two similar parties, i'd be happy. Instead the Tories have ceded the centre ground to Labour, and have chased extremist policies. That's why we have brexit, attempts to break international law by exporting asylum seekers, stupid policies which tanked the economy (Truss and her mates), and the 'hostile environment' which attacks the very values which we hold dear (windrush for example), to name a few.

I would like to believe that post-defeat analysis by the conservatives will lead to some soul searching, and an attempt to re-position the party so as to be electable again. This is not because I believe in their values, but I believe that the UK political system only works when we have a choice between alternative reasonable courses, and bad stuff happens when either party is considered unelectable. The conservatives have traditionally been very good at this, dropping leaders and vote loosing policies, and a return to the centre ground is the sane option. Let's hope sense prevails and this happens swiftly.

After 2001, the very rich became more efficient at hiding or offshoring their wealth. Do you seriously feel that the UK is a more equal society these days?
It's an indicator, it's not Gospel. But it shows up something odd about the UK economy. Inequality and income are separate things. It is possible for inequality to fall and general living standards to fall too. UK median incomes have not kept up with those in its peers, and flattening of wages in the middle will lower the income inequality curve, even though nobody is better off.
In the specific case of the UK, personal debt has increased in that period, and increased faster than incomes. Inflation of property prices isn't shown in income inequality, but it does affect those on lower incomes more than those at the top. But particularly worrying is the relatively high reliance on unsecured debt... the high interest on this kind of debt can lock people into a cycle of paying interest constantly, as loan follows loan. This siphons earnings straight to financial institutions with no productivity.

So, to answer: possibly more equal, but definitely less well off.

Instead the Tories have ceded the centre ground to Labour, and have chased extremist policies. That's why we have brexit, attempts to break international law by exporting asylum seekers, stupid policies which tanked the economy (Truss and her mates), and the 'hostile environment' which attacks the very values which we hold dear (windrush for example), to name a few.

The problem is that is all they have left. They sacrificed the myth of economic competence long ago to protect elite offshore tax havens and money-laundering scams (the underlying point of Brexit). All that is left on the table is the racist and divisive rhetoric of fascism, and sadly there are plenty of miserable old Mick Ps still left festering in the party happy to vote for it. Delusion is preferable to reality to these people.

The elephant in the room is the UK can’t survive economically as the isolated and cut adrift bin-fire the Tories have created. It is no longer a viable structure, yet no one will talk about that.

Huge numbers of Tory MPs standing down. Apparently already the biggest number ever ahead of any election.

Sinking ships and rats spring to mind...

Very little faith in Sunak.

Sir Keir is pushing for a return to Labour in Scotland. Could be a whopping majority.

Yes. The longer term trend is interesting also. High inequality in 1900, coming down with the growth of democracy, then increasing again with the rise of neoliberalism

One also needs to factor that the UK has only been anything even vaguely approaching a democracy since 1928 (the date women won the vote).

Hopefully he'll encourage others now. Vote Labour where you have to, better where you can - pretty simple really (but galling when you have to hold your nose and vote Labour as I've had to for most of my life...)

advertisement

Back