advertisement

GB News Channel

Jeremy Corbyn is suing GB News/Farage for what looks to my eyes to be obvious libel.
At PMQs on Wednesday, Starmer asked Sunak whether Farage would be welcome in the Conservative party. Sunak dodged the question, and Starmer read out this pre-prepared statement (Hansard):
'the same Nigel Farage who said he agreed with the basic premise of Enoch Powell’s “Rivers of blood” speech and bemoaned the influence of the Jewish lobby.'
This appeared uncharacteristically brave from Starmer. It wasn't. It was electoral calculation - he needs Reform to run against the Tories.

Anyway, Farage got angry and, on his GB News show, while explaining that he didn't think that the Jews ran the world, tried to smear Starmer by lashing out at Corbyn.

But the delicious part is that Starmer's oh-so-clever attempt to drive a wedge between Farage and the Tories has accidentally gifted Corbyn a chance to get a court judgment that he is not an antisemite. Oops.

But the delicious part is that Starmer's oh-so-clever attempt to drive a wedge between Farage and the Tories has accidentally gifted Corbyn a chance to get a court judgment that he is not an antisemite. Oops.

That is a very good point! I really hope Corbyn sees it through and takes them for a lot.

PS FWIW I’m really surprised Galloway isn’t suing Liz Truss for her libel on Bannon’s American TV show describing him as “a jihadist”. I’d have thought that was actionable.

PS FWIW I’m really surprised Galloway isn’t suing Liz Truss for her libel on Bannon’s American TV show describing him as “a jihadist”. I’d have thought that was actionable.
Doubt he could afford to. Libel is for the rich!

Galloway has a history of winning libel cases. He is pretty fearless in this regard. I suspect he’s worth a fair bit too.
Oh yes. Writing, broadcasting etc. £10m or so easy I would think. I bet Corbyn has little more than his house.

I bet Corbyn has little more than his house.

And a huge loyal army happy to crowd-fund for him. I’m not a fan of the guy but I’d happily bung a tenner in the hat to stick it to Farage. I bet he could raise hundreds of thousands with ease. He is still a very popular person as can be seen even here on pfm. It’s the little guys that get silenced by the legal system, not household names like Corbyn, Farage etc.

Wooton finally booted out.
Quite, quite mad…

"I have left GB News to launch my own independent platform Dan WoottonOutspoken which will feature a brand new daily news and opinion show from later this year that will NOT be regulated by the Ofcommunist censors.

"Free speech in Britain is in peril!"

They include a £150 per year "founding member" plan offering group Zoom calls with Wootton, "subscriber-only posts" and the opportunity to "communicate directly with Dan at any time".

Lord Rennard, a LibDem peer, has posted a reply to Andrew Neil which reads as follows (Twitter):
"Paul Marshall tried to tell LibDems what to say, what to think, and how to organise ourselves without ever digging very far at all into his deep pockets. I resisted his views."
Some of the shadiest characters in British politics have over the last 20 years come out from the shadows to act in very public ways. Two of these came out of the libertarian wing of the LibDems: Paul Marshall, now part-owner of GB News, and Mark Littlewood, IEA director, now hawker of PopCons. The fact that, in Marshall's case, it appears to be losing him a lot of money is some consolation. My point is that it seems likely that these characters offer just a little glimpse behind the curtain.

British politics is in a bad place, where private individuals are able to exert too much influence. Sunak's doubling of the spending limit for general elections heightens these risks. We need Ofcom to act robustly against propaganda channels, and we need to get the money out of politics.

Lord Rennard, a LibDem peer, has posted a reply to Andrew Neil which reads as follows (Twitter):

Some of the shadiest characters in British politics have over the last 20 years come out from the shadows to act in very public ways. Two of these came out of the libertarian wing of the LibDems: Paul Marshall, now part-owner of GB News, and Mark Littlewood, IEA director, now hawker of PopCons. The fact that, in Marshall's case, it appears to be losing him a lot of money is some consolation. My point is that it seems likely that these characters offer just a little glimpse behind the curtain.

British politics is in a bad place, where private individuals are able to exert too much influence. Sunak's doubling of the spending limit for general elections heightens these risks. We need Ofcom to act robustly against propaganda channels, and we need to get the money out of politics.
The word “liberal” is problematic. There are two sides to liberal thought which are in direct opposition. One is social liberalism, based on the greater good, the other is economic liberalism, based on the good of an elite class of vested interests. One has been ruthlessly promoted at the expense of the other.

It might help if parties calling themselves “liberal” stated clearly which side they’re on.

It might help if parties calling themselves “liberal” stated clearly which side they’re on.

Agree. It is a ambiguous word. I tend to side with the LDs as they are far more democratic and socially liberal than Labour. PR and human rights are my priorities here. Economically both parties are neoliberal.

Agree. It is a ambiguous word. I tend to side with the LDs as they are far more democratic and socially liberal than Labour. PR and human rights are my priorities here. Economically both parties are neoliberal.
You could argue that as Labour has now decided to openly embrace both social and economic conservatism of Thatcher, it is at least being more honest that the lib dems 😊😊

Ridiculous. Again a sad reflection as to just how far down the shit-pan the UK is at present. Regulators cowing to far-right propaganda channels and Tory money-laundering scams.

The energy regulators, the water regulators, and all the others are useless at what they are supposed to be doing. I hope that Labour have a OfF**K policy, but I doubt it

advertisement

Back