advertisement

GB News Channel

droodzilla

pfm Member
Anyone else looking forward to this?

https://pressgazette.co.uk/what-is-gb-news-everything-you-need-to-know/

I for one can't wait to hear refreshing new perspectives from voices that have been silenced in the mainstream media such as:

Andrew Neil, previously host of the BBC's flagship political programmes.
Dan Wootton, executive editor of The Sun, and TalkRadio host.
Nick Ferrari, LBC Radio host.
Julia Hartley Brewer, another TalkRadio host.

Their voices have been missing from the mainstream for too long.

And the UK's media landscape will become even more diverse when Rupert Murdoch launches his own TV channel later in the year.

Last edited:
What happens in America eventually comes here. The BBC will undoubtedly remodel its news production to please new tastes- that’s why the Tories have inserted their man to shape it. It’s too good a resource not to exploit.

I will wait until I have seen it before I make a decision.

At present I have nothing to base an opinion on.

I don’t know all the names you have listed, I do recognise the name Andrew Neil, a bit fat with strange hair.

My preemptive guess is that I will avoid it along with similar opinion laden television programmes.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/what-is-gb-news-everything-you-need-to-know/

I for one are looking forward to hearing some refreshing new perspectives from voices that have been silences in the mainstream media such as:

Andrew Neil, previously host of the BBC's flagship political programmes.
Dan Wootton, executive editor of The Sun, and TalkRadio host.
Nick Ferrari, LBC Radio host.
Julia Hartley Brewer, another TalkRadio host.

Their voices have been missing from the mainstream for too long.

And the UK's media landscape will become even more diverse when Rupert Murdoch launches his own TV channel later in the year.
Heartless Brewer is a monster. It’s her ability to dress up the offensive in Waitrose packaging. I like Nick ( Ferrari)- he’s so much more obvious, you can always see him coming. The petulance, the grandiosity and those tiny little hands attached to arms too short to reach round his considerable bulk, like a crab waving it’s claws. A one man public health warning, one Nando’s away from a vascular accident and very thick with it.

I’m dreading it, but I’m far more worried about the neutering/political take-over of Ofcom. If the likes of Dacre gets positioned there it is game over and the UK will just slide ever downwards into a right-wing nationalist cess pit.

I’m dreading it, but I’m far more worried about the neutering/political take-over of Ofcom. If the likes of Dacre gets positioned there it is game over and the UK will just slide ever downwards into a right-wing nationalist cess pit.
Two sides of the same shitty coin, sadly.

A warning sign here is the new appointee as Chair of the Office for Students:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-56011318

Labour is warning of "cronyism" in how Tory peer Lord Wharton has become chair of the Office for Students (OfS).

'Kate Green, shadow education secretary, is calling for an investigation into Lord Wharton's appointment to chair the independent university watchdog.

She questioned what "qualifications" Lord Wharton, former manager of Prime Minister Boris Johnson's leadership campaign, had for the post.

Lord Wharton's appointment was endorsed by the education select committee.

Education Secretary Gavin Williamson said he was "delighted" at the appointment and that Lord Wharton had the right "skills and experience".

But Ms Green has written to the Cabinet Secretary Simon Case questioning the choice and warning that "the higher education sector and the wider public will be deeply concerned that this is simply another example of cronyism".

She asked what professional experience Lord Wharton had for the post and questioned how he could be seen as independent when also keeping the Conservative party whip when voting in Parliament.

Lord Wharton, a former Conservative MP and the government's "preferred candidate", received the endorsement of the education select committee last week, but he faced questions from MPs about conflicts of interest.

The committee's pre-appointment hearing wanted to know how Lord Wharton could keep the Conservative party whip and support the government - and at the same time be seen as an independent regulator.

"You're a Conservative peer - and the question has to be asked: 'Are you going to retain the Conservative party whip or are you proposing to step away from it?'" said Mr Simmonds, a Conservative MP on the committee.

Lord Wharton indicated to MPs that he could keep both roles - having spoken to his party whips in the House of Lords about also being an independent regulator.'

He said they had told him "they would give me more latitude and understand that I may need to vote against or speak against some of the things the party in government could bring forward".

Personally I like to look at, or read, sources with opinions that differ from mine, otherwise it's just an echo chamber.

The problem is this looks very much like an echo chamber. Andrew Neil has some journalistic credibility (or had before signing up to this), but Nick Ferrari and Julia Hartley-Brewer are gammon foghorns of the very worst kind and will just bellow at any non-hard-right perspective. The equivalent of Yaxley Lennon chairing a committee on racial equality.

The problem is this looks very much like an echo chamber. Andrew Neil has some journalistic credibility (or had before signing up to this), but Nick Ferrari and Julia Hartley-Brewer are gammon foghorns of the very worst kind and will just bellow at any non-hard-right perspective. The equivalent of Yaxley Lennon chairing a committee on racial equality.
Even the Daily Mail has some actual facts at times! Similarly the Guardian, albeit with longer words. :D

A clever man, first for Murdoch then the Barclay bros latterly the Spectator (part owner?). I don't think he'll offer any balance to the others.

A warning sign here is the new appointee as Chair of the Office for Students:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-56011318

Labour is warning of "cronyism" in how Tory peer Lord Wharton has become chair of the Office for Students (OfS).

'Kate Green, shadow education secretary, is calling for an investigation into Lord Wharton's appointment to chair the independent university watchdog.

She questioned what "qualifications" Lord Wharton, former manager of Prime Minister Boris Johnson's leadership campaign, had for the post.

Lord Wharton's appointment was endorsed by the education select committee.

Education Secretary Gavin Williamson said he was "delighted" at the appointment and that Lord Wharton had the right "skills and experience".

But Ms Green has written to the Cabinet Secretary Simon Case questioning the choice and warning that "the higher education sector and the wider public will be deeply concerned that this is simply another example of cronyism".

She asked what professional experience Lord Wharton had for the post and questioned how he could be seen as independent when also keeping the Conservative party whip when voting in Parliament.

Lord Wharton, a former Conservative MP and the government's "preferred candidate", received the endorsement of the education select committee last week, but he faced questions from MPs about conflicts of interest.

The committee's pre-appointment hearing wanted to know how Lord Wharton could keep the Conservative party whip and support the government - and at the same time be seen as an independent regulator.

"You're a Conservative peer - and the question has to be asked: 'Are you going to retain the Conservative party whip or are you proposing to step away from it?'" said Mr Simmonds, a Conservative MP on the committee.

Lord Wharton indicated to MPs that he could keep both roles - having spoken to his party whips in the House of Lords about also being an independent regulator.'

He said they had told him "they would give me more latitude and understand that I may need to vote against or speak against some of the things the party in government could bring forward".
Hang on a minute, is this the position that confirmed breast enthusiast Toby Young resigned from?

advertisement

Back