advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

I've just had the same scary uplift-quotes at renewal as everyone else.

Fortunately - I live in a modest slice of a 1770s Georgian terraced building, which while totally-uninsulated, has very heavy thermally-effective fabric and doesn't suffer from much total exposed surface area; 3 huge south-facing windows & also - have a lovely Aussie couple as neighbours downstairs of many years who like high ambient temps: so -esp. in the heating season - have a nice cushion from the 8feet of rather hot dead-air above their heads to this end... it's a better flywheel than the average gas price 'fix'!
Yes, I was miffed when the academic downstairs went back to Oxford during lockdown/ online teaching for most of last year and this Spring. Usually we could arrive home in the evening and find the flat surprisingly warm with our heating switched off.

I'm beginning to wonder if these price comparison websites are actually any good. We're currently with Igloo and and use the MSE energy club jobby to keep up to date with better deals, but when I checked a couple of days ago it told me that I'm already on the cheapest deal - pretty sure that Octopus was nowhere to be seen on my list of competitive tariffs. Eon were close iirc.

Ours has just gone up from ~£80 to £90 per month (electricity only, no gas to our village) for a small 3 bed cottage. It's probably gonna go up over the winter as I make an ill-timed moved towards more electric heating and less burning of logs, even though this year both daughters will be at Uni.

If we want fixed its 315 a month for two years. Ouch.

I think I am going to have to say farewell to my precious 32 core server. lol.

I'm beginning to wonder if these price comparison websites are actually any good. We're currently with Igloo and and use the MSE energy club jobby to keep up to date with better deals, but when I checked a couple of days ago it told me that I'm already on the cheapest deal - pretty sure that Octopus was nowhere to be seen on my list of competitive tariffs. Eon were close iirc.

Ours has just gone up from ~£80 to £90 per month (electricity only, no gas to our village) for a small 3 bed cottage. It's probably gonna go up over the winter as I make an ill-timed moved towards more electric heating and less burning of logs, even though this year both daughters will be at Uni.
Not all providers (power, insurance, whatever) work with the comparison sites. Some only work with a subset of them, some go on none of them, so never assume what these sites tell you reflect all your options.

With uswitch, you have to tick a box to see the whole market. They only really want to show you the providers who pay them a commission. They’re effectively just a broker.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58579829

A key electricity cable between Britain and France has been shut down, sending wholesale energy prices soaring.

National Grid said a fire and planned maintenance at a site near Ashford in Kent means the cable will be totally offline until 25 September.

Half of its capacity, or one gigawatt (GW) of power, is expected to remain unavailable until late March 2022.

On Wednesday, British electricity prices for the following day jumped by 19% to £475 per megawatt hour (MWh).

The fire at the Interconnexion France-Angleterre (IFA) site broke out in the early hours of Wednesday. The site was evacuated and there were no reports of casualties.

After the fire an electricity interconnector running under the English Channel was "not operating", the National Grid said in a statement.

Electricity interconnectors are high-voltage cables that connect the electricity systems of neighbouring countries, and allow them to share excess power.

Not all providers (power, insurance, whatever) work with the comparison sites. Some only work with a subset of them, some go on none of them, so never assume what these sites tell you reflect all your options.
Yeah I am aware of that. Actually I just played around with the settings and saved preferences and am now seeing Octopus plus a few others in the list. I think my preferences had filtered them out previously, doh!
Still, the only provider that offers any worthwhile reduction for me is 'Neon Reef' for which MSE say they have very little feedback on, so I'm not going to consider them right now.

My Octopus 2 year fixed deal is £99 a month and every quarter I get a wodge back because there is too much in credit.

Have just taken this out with Octopus for October at £98 p.m. Current 1 year fix is £58 p.m. and I'm in credit. That's one big hike and I might have to activate the open fire this winter (plenty of wood) but this is not really an 'ealthy option, even with window open (essential).
Similarly, 1970s, but detached and 3 beds but 30 y.old boiler and 99%+ occupancy.

Complained yesterday about being charged more than my renewal email nearly a month ago and got an email back from higher up the chain offering a discussion. Fantastic service, but I don't hold out much hope of a compensatory discount.

Still, the only provider that offers any worthwhile reduction for me is 'Neon Reef' for which MSE say they have very little feedback on, so I'm not going to consider them right now.
That's the cheapest I could find as well. Last time around, it was Symbio, but they were going to punish me with much higher rates if I stayed with them, because clearly it makes sense to offer the good rates only to NEW customers.

I'm not too worried about company ratings. There's nothing they can do so badly that the electricity gets cut off.

Have just done a D. T. energy club quote, putting in my annual usage which I keep a log of. At the end it says I'll save over £350 p.a. over current costs with A Brit. Gas 30 month package costing £1300+ p.a. I currently pay about £750 for gas & elec. How can paying £550 more per year equate to a saving of £350+? Is it me? They're distorting the figures by basing it upon current trends rather than actual current costs (though mine are, of course very cheap under a 1 year fixed deal due to expire.

At least that cost is £ 100+ more than Octopus's 2 year fix which I've just secured. Brit. Gas throw in an annual boiler service, but I bet they wouldn't touch my antique boiler!!!

Just checked on the BG app, I have used 1000 kwh of electric this year so far and 4800 kwh of gas, I'm surprised at the gas because aside from the odd burst of heating in winter it only fires for about 20mins per day to top up the water tank temp. Anyway it is £42 p/m for both combined but the tariff ends at the end of Oct. Just done a quick quote and it has come back with £60.

advertisement

Back