advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

I’m on Octopus and received an offer a few days ago to switch to a fixed tariff. No idea what I think really. Either way is going to be higher.

I’m on Octopus and received an offer a few days ago to switch to a fixed tariff. No idea what I think really. Either way is going to be higher.

Unfortunately I read the renewal email on Aug. 18th from Octopus to be a fixed renewal quote (confusing email). It wasn't, it was an estimate IF YOU BOOK IT NOW. I still couldn't see how to renew for what I was already on (1 yr. fxd) so phoned up a week ago and got a much higher price than the renewal 'quote, which I took (for 24 months as they don't do 1 year any longer).

At least it's fixed from 3rd October and I can switch without cost so can't see a problem but things don't seem to be easing.
so worth doing early, Tony. They hold any fxd term until expiry

I'm with Shell Energy. I'm quite profligate I think: my electricity consumption is about 2,500 kWh/year; gas about 22,000 kWh/year. Two months ago I signed up to a new two year fix. Prices have soared since then, so I reckon I got a good deal.

As a matter of interest what happens when a supplier goes bust? No one comes round and turns you off do they? Just make sure you always owe them money rather than vice versa. I wouldn't start worrying until a generator/producer goes bust, in which case we are all ******

As a matter of interest, in practical terms, what happens when a supplier goes bust? No one comes round and turns you off do they?
You get automatically switched to some other supplier, probably something like SSE, likely at the worst rates they can conceive. After that, you can change to whatever you want. There will be no disruption to your supply.

I was with Tonik and was automatically switched over to Scottish Power. I then done an online comparison and moved to Avro. The credit balance I had was transferred from Tonik to Scottish Power and then transferred in cash to my bank when I left them.

When the govt tells people not to worry about something, be worried. Octopus has joined others in calling for govt to remove environmental levies to help lower bills.

Calls for bail outs of energy companies. Sorry, jog on. If the commercial models of some don’t work when there is volatility in the market, they are unsustainable and therefore don’t work full stop.

As stated upthread I’m on Octopus and I have to make a decision whether to stick on the dual gas & electric flexible tariff or switch to fixed. The quote for flexible based on current usage is £1,105 a year, or I can switch to a 12 month fixed tariff at £,1512. What to do? It seems a lot more, but I’ve not really been following this story. Is this an ok deal?

Me thinking about energy prices or saving a few quid on comparison websites.

51496238720_be9a824565_z.jpg

Browsing for music or kit......

51494521082_b3802fe63b_z.jpg

As stated upthread I’m on Octopus and I have to make a decision whether to stick on the dual gas & electric flexible tariff or switch to fixed. The quote for flexible based on current usage is £1,105 a year, or I can switch to a 12 month fixed tariff at £,1512. What to do? It seems a lot more, but I’ve not really been following this story. Is this an ok deal?
Your flexible is subject to a price cap.
There’s a hike coming in October and another one next year.
Hopefully Octopus is a realistic company and not one of those that promise the earth and then fold. I have been with them for years.
Many of the price comparison sites have stopped doing gas comparisons because the industry is in such disarray.
I think you could easily be paying much more than an extra tenner a week if you stick to standard tariff.

AIUI, the price cap will mean an extra £140 pa rise in October and then God knows in April 22 - hopefully the dust will have settled a bit by then and we've had a windy Autumn and Winter.

Winter can be as windy and stormy as it wants, it won’t help with gas supply.

No, but it reduces the demand for gas for UK electricity generation (one factor currently pushing prices up here) and that should take pressure off prices both directly on domestic gas bills and indirectly through domestic electricity bills.

advertisement

Back