advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

The context was someone (ONE person) up-thread pondering whether he might save some money by asking to have is electricity supply cut off, to which someone else responded that he couldn't possibly survive without electricity. That's got nothing to do with life-sustaining medical equipment or rolling blackouts.
Context, eh? You've ommitted the sub-optinal assertion which started this -
No part of human physiology is dependent on electricity.

https://tenor.com/view/ever-decreasing-circles-phone-telephone-martin-bryce-obsessive-gif-14609795

Ha! The French government own 86% of EDF. They might as well buy the other 14% and they can do what they like with it then.

They are still impacted by global markets and French tax payers are subsidising the true energy costs. It’s no different to our govt paying directly into our energy accounts.

They are still impacted by global markets and French tax payers are subsidising the true energy costs. It’s no different to our govt paying directly into our energy accounts.
Apparently they have 56 nuclear power stations and typically export electricity. However, around half of the power stations are offline so they are suffering a bit though less than us.

Apparently they have 56 nuclear power stations and typically export electricity. However, around half of the power stations are offline so they are suffering a bit though less than us.

Still all has to be paid for by French taxpayers.

Not really, the vast majority of ownership is public. They don’t have to charge global rates. EDF are complaining but they are 86% publicly owned.

Public = taxpayers. Global market rates are extremely relevant, that’s the opportunity cost of not selling it elsewhere rather than using domestically.

So, so easy when you’re not in the hot seat. This was the guy who promised to end boom and bust.
Managed not to flush the country down the toilet, though, didn't he?
Low bar I know...
Still I'd happily settle for empty promises of ending boom and bust compared to where the tories have got us. The economy is safe in their hands? The only thing safe in their hands is their dicks...

I love my shareholder profits as should most of you. It pays my pension and when you take them yours also. So be very careful for what you wish.

DV

I love my shareholder profits as should most of you. It pays my pension and when you take them yours also. So be very careful for what you wish.

DV

Profit is a dirty word if you’re on a nice public sector pension. Essential for the rest of us though.

If key infrastructure sectors were nationalised, our pension funds wouldn't have investment in them, granted. But having stable infrastructure, and modest costs to the country for those services, would help create a system where other businesses could flourish and our pension funds would be able to invest in them instead.

This is not a free market, it’s a strongly manipulated one. We have a very serious situation. Morality comes into play.

It’s effectively a cartel. OPEC could increase production and energy prices would fall, but why on earth are they going to do that?! On the flip side, nobody was complaining or offering to pay more 2 years ago when petrol was £1 a litre and oil companies were making big losses.

advertisement

Back