advertisement

Freemasons - What Do You Know About Them?

Many thanks to Andrew (flatpopely) for being open and honest.
imo he has been mightily courageous in sharing, and this has made for a genuinely informative and interesting thread.
Also very grateful to have had my misinformation, prejudices and preconceptions corrected so kindly.

Thanks Still!

If I can at least make a few people think that Freemasons are not what they preconceive them to be then it's a good thing.

Bill Drummond was/is a huge fan of the Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Wilson. One of his first projects back in the mid-70s was trying to stage it as a multi-part play (it is a huge book, I read it as a teenager but can't remember much about it now). Much of the KLF imagry stems from there.

Ken Campbell actually did it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Campbell#Theatre_director_and_playwright

'In 1976, he and Chris Langham formed the Science Fiction Theatre of Liverpool in order to stage Illuminatus, a nine-hour cycle of five plays by himself and Langham based on the cult trilogy of avowedly anarchist science fantasy novels of the same name by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. Starring Campbell and Langham themselves, the production featured Neil Cunningham, David Rappaport, Jim Broadbent, Bill Nighy and Campbell's future wife Prunella Gee. It later moved to the National Theatre, where it opened the new Cottesloe Theatre in 1977.'

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I put this vid up earlier, but still don't know what mote means. :confused:

It's what you can see in another's eye whilst being unable to see the beam in your own:

'3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.'

It's what you can see in another's eye whilst being unable to see the beam in your own:

'3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.'

Hi Joe.

Where is that from? Never heard the word 'mote' used like that before. To me is simply means 'may'.

Hi Joe.

Where is that from? Never heard the word 'mote' used like that before. To me is simply means 'may'.

From the New Testament, Matthew 7:3-5 (King James Version) to be precise.

I've always understood 'mote' to mean 'speck of dust'. The 'may or might' definition is new to me!

From the New Testament, Matthew 7:3-5 (King James Version) to be precise.

I've always understood 'mote' to mean 'speck of dust'. The 'may or might' definition is new to me!

Everyday is a school day! Never heard 'mote' to mean speck of dust.

Certainly doesn't work in the phrase:-

"So 'speck of dust' it be" :D

I admire your attempt to recontextualise scriptural texts for the modern age Gassor but joinery-related eye trauma is still relevant today. There's just far fewer practicing the craft and they tend to be Polish (though I gather that might change after 2019).

advertisement

Back