advertisement

Film and TV chat in general

Last episode of Shetland tonight ....pretty sure they will polish off Douglas!

Both looking forward to this excellent last series final and at the same time wishing good things never ended, but Douglas in in the Isle of Man; long way from Shetland. :D

I've written to BAFTA.
I have insisted that they create a few Special Awards in relation to the BBC coverage of the demise of HRH Elizabeth II.

1. Special Award for the Longest Collective AdLib in Broadcasting History.
2. Special Award for Making Every Programme About The Queen and Cancelling Those That Aren't.
3. Special Award for Repeating the Bleeding Obvious Ad Nauseam.
4. Special Award for Hiding Any News NOT About the Queen, in Ten Second Undeclared Snippets Among The 24 Hour Coverage of The Queen.

Both looking forward to this excellent last series final and at the same time wishing good things never ended, but Douglas in in the Isle of Man; long way from Shetland. :D

I watched it twice it’s brilliant.

PS, the bold Dougie is trending on twitter but not for Shetland:)

Just started watching Gorky Park on Amazon prime but it’s free to view with adverts, I watched it years ago but it really is fantastic and Ricky Fulton as a KGB officer is mental.

Also features Alexei Sayle who is very good playing a scumbag and a young Richard Griffiths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorky_Park_(film)

Last edited:
Last episode of Shetland tonight ....pretty sure they will polish off Douglas!

Having only watched Series 6 and 7 and enjoyed both, we have gone back to basics and just finished Series 1 and the first story of Series 2 (on Britbox)

Have to say we have found the earlier ones actually better and more gripping than the more recent output. Tosh definitely had funnier lines ;)

Phew -they didn't ...

Having only watched Series 6 and 7 we have gone back to basics and just finished Series 1 and the first story of Series 2 (on Britbox)

Have to say we have both found the earlier ones actually better and more gripping than the more recent output.

The star of the show is Shetland, never been up there but some of the scenery is world class.

BTW, there’s a similar programme on iPlayer set in the Faroe Islands with amazing scenery too.

Just started watching Gorky Park on Amazon prime but it’s free to view with adverts, I watched it years ago but it really is fantastic and Ricky Fulton as a KGB officer is mental.

Also features Alexei Sayle who is very good playing a scumbag and a young Richard Griffiths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorky_Park_(film)

Speaking of Ricky Fulton, I was just saying to someone yesterday that if the Rev I.M. Jolly was conducting the royal funeral tomorrow then I'd watch for sure! Sadly, he won't be so I won't. Pitty, as it could have been a funeral service to remember. Oh well.

Speaking of Ricky Fulton, I was just saying to someone yesterday that if the Rev I.M. Jolly was conducting the royal funeral tomorrow then I'd watch for sure! Sadly, he won't be so I won't. Pitty, as it could have been a funeral service to remember. Oh well.

That brought back fond memories of a great comedian, who was also a superb straight actor.

PS, the bold Dougie is trending on twitter but not for Shetland:)

Seems that a new 'Shetland' series is forthcoming but without Douglas Hemshall. For me, he epitomised that series, so maybe it'll be renamed 'Shitland', esp. if Tosh assumes command.

Saw the film of Laurel and Hardy recently. I thought I'd seen it but was prob. mistaking it for a documentary about them a year or so back. Brilliant performances, esp. from our Norfolk man as Stan Laurel and a sad but well told tale. I remember they were very much around in my teenage years.

To my surprise I find I am enjoying "For all Mankind" on Apple TV (courtesy of a credit card offer). Its dramatised counter-factual depiction of the cold-war & space race with the Russian having got to the moon first and the Americans having to play catch up while the cold war gets warmer..... but its all based around the characters of the astronauts and their relationships. Its slow.... but its well written with believable dialogue and pretty good acting, so maybe not surprising its now into its 4th season (I am still on season 2).

Stared watching Crossfire on Iplayer last night, pretty good so far, we're up to episode three.

I though Keeley Hawse is very good in this, the reviews are terrible though:D

I watched both series of The Capture (BBC iPlayer) recently (vague, minor spoilers follow)...

The first was pretty good. Very twisty with a some real WTF?! moments. The central plot device is far-fetched but is handled quite elegantly so as not to stretch credulity to absolute breaking point. And the writers make a couple of interesting decisions at the end of the series, which I really liked. Very watchable - would recommend.

The second series is... awful! The plot piles absurdity upon absurdity, insofar as it is possible to follow it, and the central plot device is abused to the point of destruction. Even worse, the interesting twists at the end of the first series are more or less completely undermined by the end of the second.

So, overall, a classic case of greed tiumphing over need. They really should have let this one lie.

I watched both series of The Capture (BBC iPlayer) recently (vague, minor spoilers follow)...

The first was pretty good. Very twisty with a some real WTF?! moments. The central plot device is far-fetched but is handled quite elegantly so as not to stretch credulity to absolute breaking point. And the writers make a couple of interesting decisions at the end of the series, which I really liked. Very watchable - would recommend.

The second series is... awful! The plot piles absurdity upon absurdity, insofar as it is possible to follow it, and the central plot device is abused to the point of destruction. Even worse, the interesting twists at the end of the first series are more or less completely undermined by the end of the second.

So, overall, a classic case of greed tiumphing over need. They really should have let this one lie.
I agree with this. I watched it for other reasons though;)

I just signed up for a free three-month trial of Disney+ (courtesy of Samsung) and watched Thor: Love and Thunder. It's daft as a brush as you'd expect but visually stunning from start to finish and gripping at times with actual moments of excitement!

I've never been on Disney+ before so I'm hoping there's lots of good stuff to watch before my trial ends.

I just signed up for a free three-month trial of Disney+ (courtesy of Samsung) and watched Thor: Love and Thunder. It's daft as a brush as you'd expect but visually stunning from start to finish and gripping at times with actual moments of excitement!

I've never been on Disney+ before so I'm hoping there's lots of good stuff to watch before my trial ends.

Worth every penny Derek, some great stuff on there, enjoy!

advertisement

Back