advertisement

Film and TV chat in general

I watched Victor Victoria (1982) earlier tonight. What can I say, positively charming with a charming cast and a charming script. Oh, and Julie Andrews can sing btw. Great stuff all round.

I watched Victor Victoria (1982) earlier tonight. What can I say, positively charming with a charming cast and a charming script. Oh, and Julie Andrews can sing btw. Great stuff all round.

Wow, it has been a very long time since I saw that. Lovely film!

Julie Andrews can sing????? Is that a sort of do bears shit in the woods thing? ;-)

Wow, it has been a very long time since I saw that. Lovely film!

Julie Andrews can sing????? Is that a sort of do bears shit in the woods thing? ;-)

Yeah, just I'm confirming what the whole world already knows: Julie Andrews can sing! Damn, can she sing :)

I just watched Shutter Island (2010) and although I'd seen it before (and forgotten the plot), I was totally hooked from start to finish. Utterly compelling with some excellent an excellent score at times that really added to the atmosphere. Recommended!

Over the last few days -
I have re-watched The Raid and The Raid 2

Indonesian action thrillers…
Or excellent set-piece/s martial arts wrapped around Triad back stories, with infiltrator Cop hero.
Most entertaining 100mph action.

The Raid 2 is a far superior film, with a better story.
The Raid is an assault and a good first course.

I have a lot of time for martial arts films, Shogun Assassin - natch.

the raid
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2067010/

raid 2
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2265171/

edit: the films are far better with the original dialogue and English subtitles.

I've had a good run of films over the last week or so. Interstellar, just incredible and totally recommended. Next up, Powaqqatsi, the sequel to Koyaniskaatsi, and it was mesmerising. Once again showing how we really treat the planet and how ew really treat each other. That said, the scenes of ritualistic dancing were most compelling as they showed that life is all about rhythm - whatever you do, and with whomever you do it with, do it with rhythm. Lastly, I just watched The Man Who Fell to Earth. I haven't seen it in years and I haven't watched it since I got my Tannoys, but wow, what a film! I first watched it decades ago because Bowie was in it but I now see that it's a masterpiece of a film in its own right with Bowie playing the lead role equally masterfully. Incidentally, I had a terror of idea at the thought of it being remade with Johnny Depp being cast as Newton. As Col. Kurtz would say, the horror, the horror!

I've had a good run of films over the last week or so. Interstellar, just incredible and totally recommended. Next up, Powaqqatsi, the sequel to Koyaniskaatsi, and it was mesmerising. Once again showing how we really treat the planet and how ew really treat each other. That said, the scenes of ritualistic dancing were most compelling as they showed that life is all about rhythm - whatever you do, and with whomever you do it with, do it with rhythm. Lastly, I just watched The Man Who Fell to Earth. I haven't seen it in years and I haven't watched it since I got my Tannoys, but wow, what a film! I first watched it decades ago because Bowie was in it but I now see that it's a masterpiece of a film in its own right with Bowie playing the lead role equally masterfully. Incidentally, I had a terror of idea at the thought of it being remade with Johnny Depp being cast as Newton. As Col. Kurtz would say, the horror, the horror!
I’ve been a fan of both Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi since their releases. There’s a second sequel too, called Naqoyqatsi…

I forgot to mention the soundtrack to The Man Who Fell To Earth and two songs in particular: Winds Words and Memories of Hiroshima. The former is played during that intimate scene between Newton and Mary Lou and the latter when he reveals his true self.

I’ve been a fan of both Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi since their releases. There’s a second sequel too, called Naqoyqatsi…

Yeah I've heard there's a third film. The first is a classic and Powaqqatsi is almost as good, although better in some ways as it breaks away from the American-centric nature of the first. I'm sure I'll end up watching the third one day... if I see it in a charity shop :)

Watched two really fun, but not necessarily great, movies over the last week on Amazon Prime.

On girl’s night, Mrs. Hook picked Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris. Good cast, and very much a “feel good” watch.

On boy’s night, I picked The Outfit. Well done, albeit predictable thriller. Have enjoyed pretty much everything Mark Rylance has done, this film included.

I watched Boston Strangler on Disney + the other night, it was okay, well filmed kind of Noir-ish, decent actors but it was more about how women were treated by men back in those days, employment wise and being taking seriously (The Girls) and not so much about the actual story/victims and about how inept the police were, reminded me about the Yorkshire ripper and how stupid the police were in that case too.

I've seen the Tony Curtis movie The Boston Strangler from memory that was much better as a document of what happened at the time vis the killer or killers.

Also watched Spotlight on Netflix which was very good but not great IMO, some great acting, but the mi culpa bit at the end was a bit shite, I think.

We watched MUD on Friday night on iPlayer, decent enough but a wee bit too much Huck Finn for me.

I just watched Batman Begins (2005) and although I've seen it before a few times already, this time was the best yet thanks to recent improvements on the audio front. Truly cinematic!

I just watched La Vallée (1972) there: the film with the soundtrack by Pink Floyd (Obscured by Clouds). I've seen it before but it was a long time ago, maybe twenty years ago or something. It's a compelling film and although the film has a run time of 105 minutes, it feels more like a 60-minute film, such is the way it holds your attention. I forgot about the scene that shows pigs being killed so that was a bit tough to watch. But apart from that, totally recommended. Oh, I also think the director made the right call in having the soundtrack mixed quietly into the film so it doesn't become too much of a focal point.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back