advertisement

Film and TV chat in general

I just signed up for a free three-month trial of Disney+ (courtesy of Samsung) and watched Thor: Love and Thunder. It's daft as a brush as you'd expect but visually stunning from start to finish and gripping at times with actual moments of excitement!

I've never been on Disney+ before so I'm hoping there's lots of good stuff to watch before my trial ends.

They've got the full gamut of Star Wars related films and series, National Geographic, The Simpsons, and a bunch of stuff with superheroes and/or princesses that I couldn't care less about. You should probably see the new "Pinocchio" with Tom Hanks, which is visually stunning but otherwise quite flawed.

I just signed up for a free three-month trial of Disney+ (courtesy of Samsung) and watched Thor: Love and Thunder. It's daft as a brush as you'd expect but visually stunning from start to finish and gripping at times with actual moments of excitement!

I've never been on Disney+ before so I'm hoping there's lots of good stuff to watch before my trial ends.

Thor: Ragnarok - excellent, and funny with it.

Thor: Love and Thunder - We didn’t get on with, disjointed story and messy.

There is a lot on Disney that is well worth it - all the Star Wars offshoots for beginners. 3 months and I reckon you could finish the lot, and fit in Lady & The Tramp!

I watched both series of The Capture (BBC iPlayer) recently (vague, minor spoilers follow)...

The first was pretty good. Very twisty with a some real WTF?! moments. The central plot device is far-fetched but is handled quite elegantly so as not to stretch credulity to absolute breaking point. And the writers make a couple of interesting decisions at the end of the series, which I really liked. Very watchable - would recommend.

The second series is... awful! The plot piles absurdity upon absurdity, insofar as it is possible to follow it, and the central plot device is abused to the point of destruction. Even worse, the interesting twists at the end of the first series are more or less completely undermined by the end of the second.

So, overall, a classic case of greed tiumphing over need. They really should have let this one lie.

I tried one episode of The Capture and managed about 10 minutes - I can't stand the constant cutting from one character to the next and also having about half a dozen different camera frames for each person. This is just pointless and does nothing to enhance the drama in my opinion - less is more! This seems to be a modern style as its not the first time I've come across it recently and it is not something that I'll ever warm to.

Working through Great American Railroad Journey's, Michael Portillo travelling from Reno to San Diego, it’s a BBC Four series from 2018, I think it’s absolutely brilliant, would love to do same one day.

I really enjoyed the first three episodes of Andor. A bit of a ‘slow burn’ at first but it culminates nicely later on. The writing and acting is superb I must add! Especially from Stellan Skarsgaard and the excellent British supporting actors! In fact, it’s the Brit accents which makes it feel more like the Star Wars of old… mixed with a bit of WW2 espionage…

Anyone watched 'This England'? A bit strange with fictionalized happenings that's just around the corner, and so well made it could very well be a documentary.

Only murders in the building is well worth your time, both series are superb imo.

We saw the newish Spielberg ‘West Side Story’

Half way through, I remarked that there is too much dialogue. Wife agreed.
Glad to hear that the music hasn’t been massacred. ‘America’ is a good example of how to stage the same number in two different ways. (original film is what we preferred, the newer staging coming across as akin to ‘Fame.’
Not bad, but a B-movie in comparison to the original film.
Worth watching if you like the 1961 classic. Worth it if you like musicals.

I watched Moonraker not that long ago and I was surprised to find missing the scene where Bond joins Drax and his family for lunch al fresco, although it might have been dinner. Fast forward a few months and I just watched Munich there and lo and behold the missing scene turned up here. I obviously remembered Michael Lonsdale hosting someone for an al fresco family meal, I simply got the guest and the film wrong lol

Anyway, seeing Michael Lonsdale in the role of Papa in Munich made me think his part was far too small. There could easily have been a 30-minute meandering through a number of courses a la Captain Willard's brief sojourn at the French plantation in Apocolypse Now. But with Michael Lonsdale, you feel such a detour could have been so much better as the man really had gravitas. Almost a Godfather-like gravitas. Great film as it is though and obviously recommended.

I just watched Dunkirk (2017) there and frankly, I'm left almost speechless. I want to say so much, to give it so many superlatives, but I'm still in the process of coming back to this world that I just can't quite pull my thoughts together. All I can say right now is wow, what a film!!!

Dunkirk is great (and so is the soundtrack) but the thing about Christopher Nolan is that he wants to do as much ‘in camera’ as possible. Which means some of the scenes on the beaches which should be absolute carnage look a bit sparse. They could have added thousands of additional soldiers and abandoned trucks in post production… Minor complaint!

Bullett Train is excellent fun - I liked the twins and the cameos made me LOL.

advertisement

Back