advertisement

Film and TV chat in general

sort of related subject…

We have just changed our old Sony HD flatscreen 40” (about 9 yrs old) TV for a new LG Oled Evo 42” model.
The difference is spectacular. The Sony struggled with smudged blacks and messy gradients - the LG is almost scary in its clarity.

Not massive, but the TV mounting bracket pulls out 18” from the wall, which makes a significant difference for screen size.

https://www.richersounds.com/lg-oled42c24la.html

I've started watching Game of Thrones for the second time and I'm making quick work of it as I'm well into Season 2 already. It's not the usual fantasy stuff as it seems like it could easily have taken place in medieval times. Ok, the bit about dragons and blue-eyed zombies is a bit of a stretch, but it's absolutely grounded in politics and relationships, and set in a world that resembles the British Isles and the continent, going all the way perhaps to the middle east. It's very familiar however you look at it.

When Ned Stark lost his head I was literally speechless and stunned. I knew it was gonna happen as I'd seen it before but the power of the scene was truly immense. Not only that, the whole thing has been compelling so far as I've found myself tuning in and consuming two or three episodes on the trot without distraction - now that's what I call staying power!

I also appreciate that the scriptwriters and director worked to give each scene the full time it needs. I mean, I've seen lots of key interactions where dialogue takes a long pause before resumption. Sometimes a pause before a truly powerful riposte. Sometimes just a ponderous pause where that seemed like the most natural thing to do at that time. It's also got a very cinematic feel about it, and the acting on the whole is excellent. I'm pretty much now decided that Game of Thrones is the best television series ever. The scale of the thing is just incredible. I know, there's that abberation known as Season 8. But apart from that, it's just the best television series ever.

It’s not as good as The Wire but it’s up there around the top 10.

Before I started watching Game of Thrones for the second time there I would have said The Wire is the best TV show no doubt. But I guess we're comparing apples and oranges. Either way, they're both fantastic shows.

The art of persia on bbc 4 is compelling watching about Iran, babylon , daniel in the lions den and some amazing history

“The House”, Netflix. A strange, disturbing, imaginative animation. Weird yet compelling.

Robert Zemeckis' "Pinnochio" on Disney + is a mixed bag at best. It looks very good, though totally beholden to the 1940s Disney animation style. Ultimately spoiled by anachronisms and revisionism, but there are some visually stunning bits and some nice easter eggs.

advertisement

Back