advertisement

Favourite tyre brand?

The good thing about the Rainsport 5 tyres I received from Demon Tweeks is that they are all 2023 manufacture, two from the last week in May, the other two where 1st week in June. Heard stories about other places online supplying older tyres by far, not sure I'd be happy on fitting brand new 1 year+ older tyres though. Worst tyres for me were Continental Contact Contiseal that were fitted to a Passat CC we had, absolutely rock hard, run flat type, swopped them out for some Kumho from memory, that cured it.

The good thing about the Rainsport 5 tyres I received from Demon Tweeks is that they are all 2023 manufacture, two from the last week in May, the other two where 1st week in June.

Heard stories about other places online supplying older tyres by far, not sure I'd be happy on fitting brand new 1 year+ older tyres though.

Stored correctly, tyres are fine stored for many years. Once fitted to a car and then left outside in sun and rain and heat and cold, they start deteriorating. If you store chemicals
in your garage as well as your car, vapours can sometimes affect tyres.

Reactions: AV8
Bigger tyres seem disproportionately more expensive than smaller ones. A set of Michelin 19" Pilot Sport 4s for my car is about double the price of a set of Michelin 17" Pilot Sport 5 for my wife's car. Mine aren't exactly twice the size at 255/35R19 vs 205/45R17 either.

The good thing about the Rainsport 5 tyres I received from Demon Tweeks is that they are all 2023 manufacture, two from the last week in May, the other two where 1st week in June. Heard stories about other places online supplying older tyres by far, not sure I'd be happy on fitting brand new 1 year+ older tyres though. Worst tyres for me were Continental Contact Contiseal that were fitted to a Passat CC we had, absolutely rock hard, run flat type, swopped them out for some Kumho from memory, that cured it.

Yup.. Tyreleader are sods for that...

I ordered some Yokohama winters from them a year or so back for the 7 series I had at that time.. So 2021

When they arrived their DOT dates were 2018!

They got refused and I bought from MyTyres instead which were DOT 2021

I recently bought a set of Toyo Proxes for my GTM from Demon Tweeks. I usually go for Yokohamas but the Toyos were a good price and I have to say they’re very good. They stick like shit to a blanket :D

Bigger tyres seem disproportionately more expensive than smaller ones. A set of Michelin 19" Pilot Sport 4s for my car is about double the price of a set of Michelin 17" Pilot Sport 5 for my wife's car. Mine aren't exactly twice the size at 255/35R19 vs 205/45R17 either.

Sort of...

I've run quite a few BMW E39 Sports over the years and preferred to stick with OEM alloys and tyres.

The 17" Style 66s, staggered were great wheels but the rear tyre sizes were 255/40/17s and they were bloody expensive being an odd size!

It was cheaper to run 18s or 19s if you so wished, but that made the ride harder and 'crashier'

Thats why I tended to stick with a square set of wheels in the end and in the E39s, ran 235/45/17s all round. A popular size and premium tyres were cheap. Michelin PS4s all round via Camskill, £350 all in and when you bought 4, £60 cash back!

I run a square set of 18s on my F31 now and again, a size wider than OEM (235/45/18 vs 225/45/18) and they're a more popular size, so the tyres are cheaper than 225/45s etc

And non RFTs too... Canny stand RFTs and will never run them on my cars.

It depends on what's a popular size. Go shopping for original Mini 10" wheels, you are £ 100+ a corner. They used to be dirt cheap. I get high performance 245/35/19 or similar for less. But that's because they sell so few Mini tyres. Cheapest now are when you get lucky and say a 235/50 x17 is a standard fit for say a golf and all the manufacturers churn them out for fun.

I run a square set of 18s on my F31 now and again, a size wider than OEM (235/45/18 vs 225/45/18) and they're a more popular size, so the tyres are cheaper than 225/45s etc
That's not a bad idea. I'll keep an eye out for a set of OEM 18" for my F31 and fit all seasons to them when the 19s need replacement. There's a bit of corrosion under the clear lacquer on my 403Ms around the centre bores, and so good opportunity to get them cleaned up and repainted professionally.

That's not a bad idea. I'll keep an eye out for a set of OEM 18" for my F31 and fit all seasons to them when the 19s need replacement. There's a bit of corrosion under the clear lacquer on my 403Ms around the centre bores, and so good opportunity to get them cleaned up and repainted professionally.

Yup; it was the 403Ms I binned as soon as I got the F31; tramlined horrible on our local roads and was a haesh ride (RFTs)

Fitted Style 400s all round that had RFT winters fitted (a much more compliant ride and they did superbly up to the Highlands and back); but sold them too as wanted a straight set of alloys for winters also

So have OEM 18" 405Ms fitted with said straight 235/45/18 Goodyear Assym6s all round (non RFTs) and will probably fit Goodyear winters to the set of 18x8 397s I've got in the garage waiting to be refurbed

405Ms

397s to be refurbed and shod with winters:

FYI your 403Ms with tyres will sell easily; someones always after them; so no need to wait unless you really want to :)

And ALL F3x 18" alloys fit over the M Performance brakes if you have them fitted (370/345mm front/rear - blue Brembo calipers)

I was offered Landsail for the C4 Picasso at £85 tyre fitted.
I'd never heard of them but since discovered they are quite popular as replacements for original factory fits.
I went for Goodyear Efficient Grip as they are a "name" I'd heard of but would have saved about 50% with the Landsails.

If they are Efficient grip 2, they fare very well in tests, & good mileage too, Goodyear claim.

I recently bought a set of Toyo Proxes for my GTM from Demon Tweeks. I usually go for Yokohamas but the Toyos were a good price and I have to say they’re very good. They stick like shit to a blanket :D

Yes, very good tyres, had a set of 225/40/18 TR-1 on a Mondeo Mk3 from a few years back, actually still got them on the alloys as I never sold them, still here with other sets that I tend to hoard for future use but never will get used again, well the alloys, tyres will be used one day again maybe.

This is the place I get my alloys refurbished, done properly both inside and outside, mine cost £70 a wheel, up to 17", for standard finishes :

https://www.customiseyourwheels.co.uk/

Good bunch of lads, they do all the BMW, Mercedes, etc etc dealers so reputation is well achieved.

New alloys just waiting to go on at the weekend, spare wheel due soon thanks to a good guy here ;)

This is the place I get my alloys refurbished, done properly both inside and outside, mine cost £70 a wheel, up to 17", for standard finishes :

https://www.customiseyourwheels.co.uk/

Good bunch of lads, they do all the BMW, Mercedes, etc etc dealers so reputation is well achieved.

New alloys just waiting to go on at the weekend, spare wheel due soon thanks to a good guy here ;)

That looks great. They got the back finish right too. I learned from a wheel refurbisher that it's important to leave the back of the wheel bare metal(or not powder coated at least, I imagine it has some lacquer) where it touches the hub because this is an essential part of keeping the brakes cool. The wheel needs to have thermal contact to act as a heat sink. Certainly when my rear caliper seized and I had smoking hot brakes, glowing discs etc the wheel was stinking hot and after I'd put the flames out (!) and let the smoke dissipate I got a wet rag and mopped the wheel down to cool it down without trying to go too quickly. The outer rim was about 60-70 deg C, the centre sizzling hot. There was a fireman who had stopped to help, he was all set to empty a fire extinguisher over the disc. Not bloody likely thanks, it's bad enough without cooling everything to 20 deg C in 2 minutes. Brakes and hubs can stand heat, if it takes 10 minutes to cool down to below 50 deg C I'll just wait.

That looks great. They got the back finish right too. I learned from a wheel refurbisher that it's important to leave the back of the wheel bare metal(or not powder coated at least, I imagine it has some lacquer) where it touches the hub because this is an essential part of keeping the brakes cool. The wheel needs to have thermal contact to act as a heat sink. Certainly when my rear caliper seized and I had smoking hot brakes, glowing discs etc the wheel was stinking hot and after I'd put the flames out (!) and let the smoke dissipate I got a wet rag and mopped the wheel down to cool it down without trying to go too quickly. The outer rim was about 60-70 deg C, the centre sizzling hot. There was a fireman who had stopped to help, he was all set to empty a fire extinguisher over the disc. Not bloody likely thanks, it's bad enough without cooling everything to 20 deg C in 2 minutes. Brakes and hubs can stand heat, if it takes 10 minutes to cool down to below 50 deg C I'll just wait.

Yup; fast & cheap places will just powdercoat the whole lot...

It's easy enough to remove but as said, it's a big no-no

IT's not perfectly level so can cause wobbles at speed and as said; it's essential that it's clear for heat dissipation through the hub/brakes etc

I like to run new tyres in for a few hundred miles. They will often need rebalancing too. My new Proxes were no exception

Stored correctly, tyres are fine stored for many years. Once fitted to a car and then left outside in sun and rain and heat and cold, they start deteriorating. If you store chemicals
in your garage as well as your car, vapours can sometimes affect tyres.
I've got a pair of high performance tyres on my BMW HP2 Sport that are 11 years old. Bike has spent six years in a living room. I daren't really go for it on them. They look and feel fine.....

Pirellis must be very good. They supply them to Formula 1 and they last about 100 miles ;)
I used Pirelli Tyres on my last FWD rally car - N30s when it was wet, RK7s on the front in dry conditions, RK7Ws on the back and on the front in damp conditions or for very short stages when getting the RK7s up to temperature would be difficult. I never managed 100 miles from a set of front tyres, 60 miles would be a maximum and much less on an abrasive surface.

Not Pirelli P7.

Had 3 out of 5 develop side wall bulges on my previous daily driver. The first one developed a bulge through normal driving. The other two developed a bulge each after being remounted for puncture repairs. The fitters gave me a free replacement the first time and stated that they had a lot of this issue with P7.

^ someone in the car business told me he doesn't rate Pirelli at all. He had been to at least one of their factories.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom