advertisement

Favourite tyre brand?

Uniroyals, £50-60. Not bad really. They were £20 back in 1982 for Pirelli P3s on my Dolomite.
https://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/tyres/155-70-13?pc=IP14 2LT
That's fair. The point is though that you can get what used to be supercar sizes for very little more, because that size is standard fit on a Golf or something so all the manufacturers have a line permanently set up to knock them out. I know some of the smaller sizes are surprisingly expensive because the manufacturers have to set up a short run.

That's fair. The point is though that you can get what used to be supercar sizes for very little more, because that size is standard fit on a Golf or something so all the manufacturers have a line permanently set up to knock them out. I know some of the smaller sizes are surprisingly expensive because the manufacturers have to set up a short run.
A mate used to be at Pirelli, heavily involved in the motorsport side, plus sales to independent dealers. As he said: the bigger and more expensive the tyre, the less tyre the customer gets.

I have been looking for a set of tyres to go on my newly refurbished alloy wheels & found that the price variance was incredible even amongst the same tyre. I will only buy what I deem to be a decent tyre in my experience, I take reviews with a pinch of salt, if I feel comfortable in the tyre I will buy again. The tyre I ended up buying in the end was Uniroyal Rainsport 5, family car has Rainsport 3 on at the moment & is a great tyre for me. Reviews of that one said " wear out quick ", well 2 years later plenty of tread, I drive sensibly. The new tyres came from Demon Tweeks direct, bought at 2pm on Wednesday delivered at 10:30am the following morning. What really surprised me was the variance though, were bought for £77 each delivered, cheapest was £71, dearest was £126 for the same tyre :eek:

The wheel place fitted them for me within the refurb price, £70 per wheel, thus saving nearly £50-£100 on fitment dependant on who you dealt with.

Tyres prices have gone up but the variance is incredible.

I have been looking for a set of tyres to go on my newly refurbished alloy wheels & found that the price variance was incredible even amongst the same tyre. I will only buy what I deem to be a decent tyre in my experience, I take reviews with a pinch of salt, if I feel comfortable in the tyre I will buy again. The tyre I ended up buying in the end was Uniroyal Rainsport 5, family car has Rainsport 3 on at the moment & is a great tyre for me. Reviews of that one said " wear out quick ", well 2 years later plenty of tread, I drive sensibly. The new tyres came from Demon Tweeks direct, bought at 2pm on Wednesday delivered at 10:30am the following morning. What really surprised me was the variance though, were bought for £77 each delivered, cheapest was £71, dearest was £126 for the same tyre :eek:

The wheel place fitted them for me within the refurb price, £70 per wheel, thus saving nearly £50-£100 on fitment dependant on who you dealt with.

Tyres prices have gone up but the variance is incredible.
My car came with nearly new Rainsport 3s, fronts lasted ~18-20k miles, rears ~35k so like you I don't find they wear quickly. They are a softer compound though, to help wet grip. The fronts wore out first, I fitted Avon, they lasted the same, and earlier this year I had all 4 near the limit, so I got a deal on Goodyear. Within the context of normal driving there's little difference to be felt. It's a 4WD Audi coupe so unless you are Ari Vatanen on a forest stage the thing goes where you point it. The best I have managed in driving heroics is a little squiggle when I was trying to make a quick getaway at a damp junction. In snow any abuse just has it sharing the power so it stays in a straight line.

Reactions: AV8
Funnily enough the only tyres I have been using the last few years have been Rainsport 3 & Avon ZV7, never had a problem with them, now Rainsport 5.

I was offered Landsail for the C4 Picasso at £85 tyre fitted.
I'd never heard of them but since discovered they are quite popular as replacements for original factory fits.
I went for Goodyear Efficient Grip as they are a "name" I'd heard of but would have saved about 50% with the Landsails.

Any tyre that says SUV nowadays carries a price premium it seems.

We had a Mazda CX3, tyre size was odd, think it was 235/50/18, cost was £176 per tyre at the time for a Toyo Proxes which was standard fit. The same tyre for a standard car, 225/40/18, cost was £81.

We've got Michelin Cross Climate 2's on both of our cars now and they are excellent, but previously my favourite sporty tyre was Michelin Pilot Sport.

I've been sticking with various members of the Michelin Pilot family. In addition to usual aspects of dynamic performance, I also find them superior to other tires in my experience in terms of "initial quality" - things like how easy they are to balance, how well they hold air... Those are some areas where I tend to find Michelin and Bridgestone to be superior to, say, Continental and Pirelli.

It’s funny how personal experiences can vary so much. About 240k miles with Continental tyres since 2010, not one issue.

I was offered Landsail for the C4 Picasso at £85 tyre fitted.
I'd never heard of them but since discovered they are quite popular as replacements for original factory fits.
I went for Goodyear Efficient Grip as they are a "name" I'd heard of but would have saved about 50% with the Landsails.
Landsail are one of the favourite budget brands. My experience of budget tyres is that they are adequate, but sometimes poor in certain circumstances compared to better tyres. In particular I had some "triangle" brand tyres that were ok until they got half worn in the wet, at which point they had comedy levels of wet grip. I had some other recycled Korean washing up bowls that were ok until it snowed. Half an inch of slush, that was you. It was like Bambi on ice. They meet the minimum standard, sure, but be prepared to drive carefully in certain conditions.

It’s funny how personal experiences can vary so much. About 240k miles with Continental tyres since 2010, not one issue.
Mileages on tyres can vary dramatically.

Michelins on my C4 Picasso only lasted 15,000 miles but those tyres looked weathered and cracked at 6 years old. Driving on them was quite unpleasant and had been an advisory flag at the last MOT.

On the other hand the OH's Continentals on a garaged Micra are now 16 years old and looking well enough to pass the next MOT.

Michelin Pilot sport i think sport 4, either way have them on both my octavia estate and hatch estate, as i run 18 and 19" alloys it can be limiting to what i can get on offer.I always get them online from Kuickfit when they are on offer i know Kwikfit arn't the best but it's just easier and you can wait while they are being done, anyway the michellin have always proved to be great all round tyres and have used them for the past 6 years with the exception on pirelli which were on the car when we purchased it they weren't any were near as good grip and they wore out faster. previously have tried cheaper tyres with similar looking grip pattern that lasted longer but the grip was awful and at the end of the day you want to be able to stop when you need to more than anything else. If your car doesn't start you can get it repared but if you can't stop your truely screwed so good brakes and good tyres is priority especially in a car that is used for the family, don't cut costs on tyres unless its on a small light car that only drives around town in summer. Continentals are also decent but way to expensive for my car and i also factor in the rd noise i want the quietest tyres that are good grip.

Mileages on tyres can vary dramatically.

Michelins on my C4 Picasso only lasted 15,000 miles but those tyres looked weathered and cracked at 6 years old. Driving on them was quite unpleasant and had been an advisory flag at the last MOT.

On the other hand the OH's Continentals on a garaged Micra are now 16 years old and looking well enough to pass the next MOT.
That's sun damage for you.

The Contis on the rear of my van must be some kind of magic compound, pretty sure they're the same Contis Ford fit as standard for a few years now but this pair on the rear are on 57k and look fine, it's on its third set of fronts but I have to go cheap once we're buying them so they last as long as they last.

Interestingly I find good quality tyres that are worn down to the wear indicators can still perform better than a brand new pair of cheap ditch finders.

advertisement

Back