advertisement

Favourite tyre brand?

My C-class is on 18's (225/45Y18's on the front and 245/40Y18's on the back) and the Cross-Climates in that fitment have been impressive. With the previous summer tyres it had then it basically wouldn't move off in the snow in even the tiniest of a slope, whereas with the Cross Climates there seemed to be plenty of grip.

Newer cars have a different method of indicating a flat and no longer require an actual sensor on the valve stem.

I didn't know that - it sounds like a good step forward (if it's reliable). I guess the car could use differential wheel speed if it knows it's not cornering, since the underinflated tire will have a slightly smaller effective circumference.

I didn't know that - it sounds like a good step forward (if it's reliable). I guess the car could use differential wheel speed if it knows it's not cornering, since the underinflated tire will have a slightly smaller effective circumference.

I think that's the general idea, it's tied in somehow to the diff, traction control, and/or abs.

That's how flats are detected on my 2013 BMW, even with run-flats. I got a puncture in one of the rear tyres and the warning sounded. It was hard to tell at the tyre shop which was punctured without putting the car on a hoist and checking the treads, so I measured the tyre pressures. The punctured tyre measured 2psi less than the other. I was impressed by the sensitivity of the warning system.

It is reliable and that's exactly how it works.

That's how flats are detected on my 2013 BMW, even with run-flats. I got a puncture in one of the rear tyres and the warning sounded. It was hard to tell at the tyre shop which was punctured without putting the car on a hoist and checking the treads, so I measured the tyre pressures. The punctured tyre measured 2psi less than the other. I was impressed by the sensitivity of the warning system.

Was the same on my previous 7 series; all done by the diff and sensors IIRC - nothing in the wheels themselves

My C-class is on 18's (225/45Y18's on the front and 245/40Y18's on the back) and the Cross-Climates in that fitment have been impressive. With the previous summer tyres it had then it basically wouldn't move off in the snow in even the tiniest of a slope, whereas with the Cross Climates there seemed to be plenty of grip.
Mine's on 19in with run-flats. new Contis fitted last week as Cross Climates not available (225/40R19 and 255/35R19) but last time we had snow issues around here was 12 years ago.

On the ones without hardware sensors in the wheels, after you get a warning it doesn't automagically go away when you refill the tire. You have to go into the car's menu and reset it.

BMW now use their TPMS setup, bluetooth I think, and is exceedingly accurate, know to expect pressure changes with temperature etc, and you also have to ensure the car has the correct data ref tyre and rim sizes in its computer menu setup.
Mine came with 20" rims as standard, and a staggered (275/245) setup with RF tyres.
They got swapped out immediately for 19" and non run flat, but kept staggered setup for summer.
Winter will be 'square' at 245 and still non RF in 19's.
Impossible to go to 18's as they would foul the calipers.
I personally really do not like RF tyres, the ride is appalling on my car.

On the ones without hardware sensors in the wheels, after you get a warning it doesn't automagically go away when you refill the tire. You have to go into the car's menu and reset it.
You do indeed, so that the system has a reliable start point taking into account that the tyres may not be equally worn.

I always thought Michelin was the most technologically advanced tire company, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have always bought their tires. In fact I'm now using Conti's on my 4Runner and they have been performing very well. Car, price & what you want from the tire need always be factored in IMO.

problem is that cars with rfts don't have a spare or even space for one in the boot. The 2013 5 series is a case in point.
Neither does my PHEV, so I carry an emergency inflation kit etc, and some weird and wacky emergency tyre repair stuff off Amamzon, just to get me home.
If all fails, then its a flat bed truck unfortunately.
Runflats, while possibly able to do 50KM deflated, the chances of finding a 275/30/20" when you really need one, well, possibly better slightly than a lottery win.
Plus, on my car, they really are not nice to drive on.

The other day when I was out on the road two moose's (they are HUGHE) suddenly appeared in front of me. Signor Pirelli with the help of signor Brembo, herr Bosch and a very heavy foot saved it. Puuh, very scary!

Buy proper tires.

(225/45Y18's on the front and 245/40Y18's on the back)

Mine came with 20" rims as standard, and a staggered (275/245) setup with RF tyres.
They got swapped out immediately for 19" and non run flat, but kept staggered setup for summer.
Winter will be 'square' at 245 and still non RF in 19's.
Impossible to go to 18's as they would foul the calipers.

the chances of finding a 275/30/20" when you really need one

Is there some kind of competition here? ;) I remember when 195/60/15 on a SAAB turbo was big...

Is there some kind of competition here? ;) I remember when 195/60/15 on a SAAB turbo was big...
Have you only just noticed? Yes, or course there's a competition. What's interesting is that because there are so few small diameter tyres being made they are getting remarkably expensive compared to the bigger sizes. Look up 155/13, once the most popular size in the shop, you'll get a shock.

Have you only just noticed? Yes, or course there's a competition. What's interesting is that because there are so few small diameter tyres being made they are getting remarkably expensive compared to the bigger sizes. Look up 155/13, once the most popular size in the shop, you'll get a shock.
Uniroyals, £50-60. Not bad really. They were £20 back in 1982 for Pirelli P3s on my Dolomite.
https://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/tyres/155-70-13?pc=IP14 2LT

advertisement

Back