advertisement

Favourite tyre brand?

miktec

retired
Need to get new front tyres soon for our Toyota Yaris.
Generally get Bridgestone (no idea why, just habit I guess)

Any other favourites out there - or makes to avoid ?

Contintentals for both summer and winter use (Premium Contact 6 and Winter Contact, respectively). They were on the car to begin with, and I've never made any comparisons to see whether I'd notice a difference. With my driving style (old and sedate), I suspect everything would be the same.

Depends on the car. I used to have a sports car, I used Yokohamas and shrugged my shoulders about a 5000 mile life. The old Mondeo got budgets, they were OK. The current car came to me with mid price Uniroyals, which promise very good wet road performance. I'd favour wet performance over dry, after all any tyre works fairly well in the dry, it's not generally a problem. I fitted Avon (another mid price brand) to the front, they've been very good.

We almost always buy Avon tyres as they seem to be a decent compromise between cost and performance.

We almost always buy Avon tyres as they seem to be a decent compromise between cost and performance.
Me too. My priorities are wet weather grip, and noise. I try to maximise the former, and minimise the latter, but steer clear of budget brands. Generally I find Michelin to be good all-rounders, but pricey - though they seem to last a decent while so they’re not as expensive as they might first seem. I like Continental too, but they’re a little noisier. Avons do seem a good middle ground for a lot of stuff.

Michelin for me - Cross Climates on my car, and Pilot Sports on my wife's car (as the Cross Climates aren't available for it). I used to like Continentals for wet weather but now prefer the Cross Climates.

Had the Yoko 008Ps for a while, lovely and sticky, 4k rear 6k front, got sick of the tyre bloke always being here!

Now i'm usually Pirelli P Zero Rossos on the quicker car and General AT Grabber on the 4wd which never seem to wear out since i lost the GSD / Rottie cross tyre eater.

Little work cars have whatever the local guy has on offer.

Used to favor Pirelli on our Volvos. Good performance but they wore too quickly. Switched to Michelin.

Michelin (Pilot Sports) generally although I've been pretty impressed with the Pirelli P-Zeros on my current car. A good budget recommendation seems to be UniRoyal Rainsports - I've not used them personally but see a load of positive comments about them.

For a general daily tyre, it’s hard to go wrong with Continental (my car has Continental Sport Contact 6). I’ve used Michelin Pilot Sports before and they had insane dry weather grip but they did wear out quickly!

There are a lot of variables, so choose the brand best suited to the car(s) we have.

In general (wait for it), you cannot go wrong with Vredestein, Uniroyal and Fulda. Yes, not obvious choices.

On our cars:

VW Polo - Continental (OK)
Vauxhall Corsa - Michelin Cross climate plus (Very good)
Merc A160 - Goodyear Efficient grip (brilliant and quiet)
VW Arteon - Goodyear Assymetric 3 (Grippy but noisy)
BMW Z4 - Vredstein Vorti (Brilliant)
SAAB 93 - Fulda SportControl 1 (utterly brilliant). Car sold.

One problem, with a car "of a certain age," is finding the right size/profile. It tends to narrow the choice a bit.
Also, since I only about 5,000 Km a year on each of my cars, I should find a type of Continental that sacrifices wear to performance, since I usually change them when they are over 7 - 8 years old and they are not worn down yet.
Is there a Continental that wears quickly but performs beautifully?

advertisement

Back