advertisement

Fave "Live" Albums

Well, I’ve searched the thread and this...

52029951603_65d154270c_z.jpg

...doesn’t appear to have been mentioned, which is astonishing.

I was sitting in the kitchen of @foxwelljsly just before Christmas exchanging views over a mug of coffee. ‘You like Naked City, and Zorn’s Books of Angels - you ought to hear ‘At the Mountains of Madness’ he told me.

What he should have done was grab me by the lapels and shout ‘I’m not letting you leave the table until I have seen you place an order for it!’ because it is fabulous.

My copy arrived today - I’ve only managed CD1 so far, but that’s good enough. At times it sounds (unsurprisingly) like Naked City, at other times (when Jamie Saft’s Fender Rhodes goes multo distorto) like the Cellar Door Sessions, sometimes like King Crimson might have been in 1974 had Ian McDonald rejoined, sometimes (when the electronics kick in) a bit like Hawkwind.

The playing is extraordinary, but Marc Ribot is the star, sounding from time to time like Pete Cosey, Todd Rundgren, Adrian Belew as well as a good deal like Marc Ribot. I really wish I’d seen this live - I would have been punching the air a lot. I did tonight after Metal Tov, and that was sitting in my armchair.

Well, I’ve searched the thread and this...

52029951603_65d154270c_z.jpg

...doesn’t appear to have been mentioned, which is astonishing.

I was sitting in the kitchen of @foxwelljsly just before Christmas exchanging views over a mug of coffee. ‘You like Naked City, and Zorn’s Books of Angels - you ought to hear ‘At the Mountains of Madness’ he told me.

What he should have done was grab me by the lapels and shout ‘I’m not letting you leave the table until I have seen you place an order for it!’ because it is fabulous.

My copy arrived today - I’ve only managed CD1 so far, but that’s good enough. At times it sounds (unsurprisingly) like Naked City, at other times (when Jamie Saft’s Fender Rhodes goes multo distorto) like the Cellar Door Sessions, sometimes like King Crimson might have been in 1974 had Ian McDonald rejoined, sometimes (when the electronics kick in) a bit like Hawkwind.

The playing is extraordinary, but Marc Ribot is the star, sounding from time to time like Pete Cosey, Todd Rundgren, Adrian Belew as well as a good deal like Marc Ribot. I really wish I’d seen this live - I would have been punching the air a lot. I did tonight after Metal Tov, and that was sitting in my armchair.

I'm not in the habit of shaking guests by the lapels. :)

That said, this is one of the very few albums I've bought in the last 20 years or so that my life would be incomplete without. Even the bass and drum solos are enthralling.

The best contemporary jazz musicians rendering nearly all space rock obsolete over the course of about 130 minutes.

Jesse Colin Young – On The Road. I know I have mentioned this before on PFM but it shows a band that’s at the top of their game; a live album so good it could be a studio album. It includes a really wonderful extended version of Ridgetop with Jim Rothermel on reeds and this track is probably worth the cost of admission on its own.

Just listening to this now - really good. Thanks

Not a massive fan of live albums if I'm honest, I could probably count how many I own on one hand. If pushed I'd have to say Nirvana - Unplugged.

advertisement

Back