advertisement

Fave "Live" Albums

I’d highly recommend the two recently released Can live albums, both from 1976, Stuttgart, and Brighton. Really surprisingly good, I’d have put money on them being a bit past it by that point as the studio albums were certainly dropping in quality, but these long-form almost entirely instrumental jams are just superb. Actually a fair crossover with what Miles Davis was doing at the time, a similar visceral funky groove sort of stuff (I’d obviously recommend Agharta and Pangea, both recorded on a single day in Japan in 1975, and just crazy good).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If You Want Blood.
Tokyo Tapes
Live and Dangerous.
Exit Stage Left.
25 Live@ 25.

First 5 that came to mind.

Most of mine already mentioned (MC5, Dr Feelgood, The Clash etc) but here's a few more that I didn't see.

Otis Redding - Live In Europe
Man - Greasy Truckers Party
Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live
Jimi Hendrix - Band Of Gypsies
Jimmy Smith - Groovin' At Smalls Paradise

A few already mentioned:
Wheels of Fire, Stupidity, Live in Japan.

And a few not:
Renaissance, Live at Carnegie Hall
Ten Years After, Recorded Live
Cream, Live Vol 1 & 2
Traffic, On the Road
Led Zeppelin, The Song Remains the Same
Paice, Ashton, Lord, Live in Concert

Andy

Renaissance at the Royal Albert Hall, recorded in 1977 for the American radio show King Biscuit Flower Hour, and not on general release until the late 1990s, is great; the Vol. 1 disc especially

My5qcGVn.jpeg

https://www.discogs.com/master/4767...nic-Orchestra-At-The-Royal-Albert-Hall-Part-1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You get the full concert with the reissue of "Novella".

Seems to have the same tracks as the Vol 1 & 2 discs from the KBFH release - is there any indication on sleeve or in booklet of restoration and mastering work done on them, or does it seem as though they've used the same mastering as the KBFH?

Seems to have the same tracks as the Vol 1 & 2 discs from the KBFH release - is there any indication on sleeve or in booklet of restoration and mastering work done on them, or does it seem as though they've used the same mastering as the KBFH?

Looking at the box / booklet it states "Re-mastered from the original master tapes by Ben Wiseman at Broadlake Studios Hertfordshire, UK" from 2019 but how different it is to the KBFH version, I don't know

Looking at the box / booklet it states "Re-mastered from the original master tapes by Ben Wiseman at Broadlake Studios Hertfordshire, UK" from 2019 but how different it is to the KBFH version, I don't know

Interesting. Maybe I'll see if I can get that one on my Xmas list ...

Of the top of my head, I can think of:

Space Ritual Live by Hawkwind is a great live album, supposedly very little or none in the way of overdubs

Live Rust by Crazy Horse is equally good but many say it has lots of overdubs

The High Road by Roxy Music, with just 4 tracks, 2 Roxy tracks and 2 covers's including a great version of "Like a Hurricane"

The Greasy Truckers compilation live albums are also worth a mention.

Blue Oyster Cult - On your feet or on your knees.
Rory Gallagher - Stage Struck.
Deep Purple - Made in Japan.

In no apparent order and missing lots of things I will kick myself for later! Call it my take on a bunch live albums I love and my currently Covid infected brain can recall!

Apologies for the overly long list but hopefully some folks may get something out of this.

Sviatoslav Richter. Anything live. its Richter for Chrisakes! Especially:
-Carnegie Hall debut where he played 4 Beethoven Sonatas
-Carnegie Hall "A richter Recital, Dec. 26 1960
-Richter in Warsaw. The Scriabin concert
-Brahms Piano Concerto #2. This is unbelievable. No one has ever played this, possibly the most difficult of all piano concertos like this. Absolutely unbelievable!
I could fill pages and pages with just richter but....

Vladimir Horowitz
- Rachmaninoff piano works. The 2nd piano sonata. OMG! But its all amazing
- Rach 3 live
-Return to Carnegie concert.
Again so much to choose from!

Martha Argerich
- Live recording 1965/66 From when she was very young and would actually learn concertos and solo pieces on the plane and then rehearse them when she arrived and play them the next day!! WTF!!!!
-The live recording of Rach 3, Tchaikovsky 1, Prokofiev 3, and Ravel G major are all amazing.
- Basically anything she does live or in the studio!

Art Pepper
-Maiden Voyage concerts
-live at the village vanguard

Bill Evans: Live at the Village Vanguard / Waltz for Debbie
Jim Hall: Live! 1974
Ray Bryant: Alone at Montreaux
Ella in London/ Live at Newport / Ella and Duke Live at Cote d' Azure - wow!! Dukes band is scorching hot and Ella, well it's Ella, nuff said. / Again it's Ella so where do you stop?!
Ray Charles: Live at Newport
Maceo Parker: Life on Planet Groove

Muddy Waters Live at the Checkerboard
Edgar Winter and the White Trash: Road Work.
Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East.
The Who: Live at leads
Rolling Stones: A Brussels Affair
Dylan: Bootleg series Volume 5 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue
Van Morrison: Dont stop now
Joni: Miles of Aisles
Tom Waits: Nighthawks at the Diner
Steve Earle: Shut Up and Die Like an Aviator
Johnny Cash: Live at Folsom Prison
Velvet Underground: The Complete Matrix Tapes
Lou Reed: Live at Alice Tully Hall / Perfect Night Live in London /

AC/DC : Let there be Rock
Allman Bros : Live at Fillmore East
Bowie : Reality Tour Live *
Bowie : 50th Birthday party (no official release)
RHCP : SLANE*
The Band : The Last Waltz
Van Morrison: It's too late to stop now
Roger Waters : In the Flesh
Neil Young & Crazy Horse : Weld
Portishead: Live NYC
SLF: Hanx
Steve Earl: Shut up and die like an aviator
Metallica: Live, Shit, Binge & Purge
Depeche Mode: 101

From the Unplugged series:

Seal , (no official release))
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Alice in Chains
Neil Young
10,000 Maniacs
Placebo

* These two are quite special to me as I was there.

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten.

advertisement

Back