advertisement

Fave "Live" Albums

As with all the releases from his Archives Performance series, I read about it and think 'What's the point?' and when I hear it it's ****ing amazing. In this case I thought it would just be a re-run of Weld. But, no, it's a far warmer, mellower sounding band playing a set filled with deep cuts to a tiny club and it's bloody wonderful. Possibly the best album for NY's wonderful guitar solos yet.
I’ve been listening to this tonight on Spotify and agree that it’s terrific - I’ll be buying the CD tomorrow. There’s nothing that quite matches the utterly incandescent solo on the Weld ‘Love and Only Love’ (although there are a few bits of it being tried out on ‘Love to Burn’) - but that’s probably the greatest guitar solo ever recorded, so not surprising. Sounds better than Weld too, Ralph sounds as if he has brought his full kit with him this time and Billy is in the same room (and going a bit Macca in a couple of places.)

Last edited:
Alice In Chains Unplugged -- almost on par with Nirvana unplugged IMO.

SRV - Live at the El Mocambo , he's truly on form for this one -- bliss.

Speaking of the El Mocambo, "Elvis Costello Live at the El Mocambo" is a good one too. Not a clean recording, but lots of energy. And most importantly, we get to hear The Attractions do the songs from "My Aim Is True".

Neil Young at Massey Hall is magnificent. He almost apologises for playing new songs then commences to play large chunks of Harvest.

Other faves, Before The Flood - Dylan and The Band; Rory Gallagher Live In Europe; 801 Live.

Just this morning I was playing Spaceheads live which is one of my favourite live recordings. That and The Pirates Live in Japan are never far away from being spun. Also Nils Lofgren's live output is up there.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Some new suggestions from since I last did this

The Cure: Entreat (I was at the concert where this was recorded)
The Orb: Live 2016 (if only to persuade @Amber Audio to buy a copy)
The Heads: California Grass
Electric Moon: Live in Kosmos Box Set
Grateful Dead: War Memorial Buffalo 9th May 1977 Box Set

I usually prefer to stream live albums to avoid breaking the flow of the performance to change sides of LPs.

Michael Franks Live with Crossfire.

The music’s relaxing and the recording is sublime
Somehow though, the opening track just doesn’t sound as good as the rest.
May be my copy, I’ll be on the lookout for other pressings.

Favourite live album here is Rainbow - On Stage.

Also as mentioned previously Deep Purple - Live in Japan is tremendous

Jeff Mills- Live at the Liquid Rooms.

Yes it’s a DJ mix, but it’s the definitive example of turntables being used as an instrument, to create unique performances of records, which can never be repeated. I still get goosebumps every time I hear it, and have heard it dozens of times since it was released.in the mid-90’s.

advertisement

Back