advertisement

Fave "Live" Albums

fegs

pfm Member
I've always found live albums to be be very and and miss for obvious reasons and to be fair I don't own that many.
Some artists seem very prolific with their live album output whilst others don't bother.
What's others opinions on live albums and what's their faves?

A few of mine include

Ramones - It's Alive

The Clash - From here To Eternity

The Cramps - Smell Of Female

The Fall - Live At St Helens Tech College

Van Morrison - "It's Too Late to Stop Now" (Expanded Edition)

Ramones "Loco Live" or it may be the one you said, anyway it's the one recorded in Spain!

Rock/pop: VU 1969, MC5 Kick Out The Jams, Hawkwind Space Ritual, Deep Purple Made In Japan, Bowie Live (I’d likely add some posthumous stuff, e.g. Welcome To The Blackout, the 76 soul one), that Curtis Mayfield live alum, Ramones Its Alive, Misty In Roots Live At The Counter Eurovision 79, Kraftwerk Minimum Maximum.

Jazz: Coltrane Complete Live At The Village Vanguard, Bill Evans Complete Live At The Village Vanguard, Miles Davis Complete Cellar Door, Rollins/Hawkins Sonny Meets Hawk. Art Pepper Live At The Village Vanguard (all of it). Actually all the live Miles and Coltrane, and probably everything recorded at the Village Vanguard!

When it comes to classic rock, then Deep Purples 'Made in Japan' is my go to and by some distance. Terrific recording capturing this line up at their savage best.

Can highly recommend Porcupine Tree's live recording 'Atlanta', available as a hi res download at burningshed.com. Sensational.

Rock/pop: VU 1969, MC5 Kick Out The Jams, Hawkwind Space Ritual, Deep Purple Made In Japan, Bowie Live (I’d likely add some posthumous stuff, e.g. Welcome To The Blackout, the 76 soul one), that Curtis Mayfield live alum, Ramones Its Alive, Misty In Roots Live At The Counter Eurovision 79, Kraftwerk Minimum Maximum.

Jazz: Coltrane Complete Live At The Village Vanguard, Bill Evans Complete Live At The Village Vanguard, Miles Davis Complete Cellar Door, Rollins/Hawkins Sonny Meets Hawk. Art Pepper Live At The Village Vanguard (all of it). Actually all the live Miles and Coltrane, and probably everything recorded at the Village Vanguard!

Space Ritual is a very good call

Van Morrison - "It's Too Late to Stop Now" (Expanded Edition)

Ramones "Loco Live" or it may be the one you said, anyway it's the one recorded in Spain!

Loco Live is very good, the one I said was live at the Rainbow in '77

Gabor Szabo – The Sorcerer. This album has an immediacy/intimacy and you are right there with band and the audience. It includes a great version of Sonny Bono’s The Beat Goes On.

Jesse Colin Young – On The Road. I know I have mentioned this before on PFM but it shows a band that’s at the top of their game; a live album so good it could be a studio album. It includes a really wonderful extended version of Ridgetop with Jim Rothermel on reeds and this track is probably worth the cost of admission on its own.

There’s Weld, Mingus’ Cornell ‘64, Bill Evans Village Vanguard, Weld, Mingus, Miles Cellar Door, Weld, John Coltrane Village Vanguard, Live Rust, Bill Frisell’s East/West and also Weld. And Mingus.

Leaving out all of the RoIOs, all of those above plus:

Amon Duul II - Live in London
Ash Ra Tempel - Seven Up
Kevin Ayers - BBC Radio 1 in Concert
Cabaret Voltaire - Live at the YMCA
Depeche Mode - 101
801 - 801 Live
Fields of the Nephilim - Earth Inferno
Free System Projekt - British Aisles 1&2, Gent, Procyon
Robert Fripp - Let the Power Fall
Genesis - Live, Seconds Out
Gong - Live Etc
Grobschnitt - Solar Music Live
Roy Harper - In Between Every Line
Jane - Live at Home
King Crimson - The Great Deceiver Box
Kraftwerk - Soest Live
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma Disc 1
Roxy Music - Viva!
Klaus Schulze - Live
Slade - Slade Alive, Slade Alive II, Slade on Stage, Reading EP
Steve Hillage - Live Herald
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet, Encore, Logos, Poland
Van der Graaf - Vital

The Who - Live At Leeds
ELP - Pictures At An Exhibition

I enjoy the live albums that capture the energy of a live gig.

seems my collection may need a few more things, but of what I've got

Frampton comes alive
Dire Straits Alchemy
Blue Oyster cult Extra Terrestrial Live (happens to have a cover of "kick out the jams")
Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous

Fascinating when it gets to the extended encore - Mike Oldfield switches to guitar and starts noodling around on themes soon to be known from you-know-what.

As a massive fan of Mike, hearing that for the first time made me very happy indeed.

The whole album is a fantastic, ramshackle mess of a concert and all the better for it. I simply can't imagine any band or artist being that, er, 'loose' live.

Some great listings above.

I also really like
Fleetwood Mac: Black Magic Woman (Triple)
James: One Man Clapping
Tales of Gill Scott Heron and his Amnesia Express

What, this again? OK official releases only...
Live/Dead
Then, in any order...
Sunshine Daydream (Veneta 8/27/72)
Reckoning
The GD movie shows (Winterland 10/74)
Cornell 5/8/77
Europe 72
Dick's Picks 7 (Alexandra Palace 09/74)
... etc, etc ;)

I've always found live albums to be be very and and miss for obvious reasons and to be fair I don't own that many.
Some artists seem very prolific with their live album output whilst others don't bother.
What's others opinions on live albums and what's their faves?

A few of mine include

Ramones - It's Alive

The Clash - From here To Eternity

The Cramps - Smell Of Female

The Fall - Live At St Helens Tech College

I thought you would have had "Live At The Witch Trials" ! I'll add "Fall in a Hole" Mainly because I was at one of the concerts on that tour and have an original Flying Nun release (now going for stupid prices).

advertisement

Back