advertisement

Fancy a steak and chips down the pub

I think top quality dining (food, service, environment) can be worth every penny. I will forever fondly remember the 3 Michelin star restaurant my wife (or soon to be) and I visited in Bruges as young and relatively naive diners. An experience we'll likely never have again.

A perfect example of why these places have a value, my earliest fine dining experience was in France aged 12 and another one with my fiance in Rick Stein's Seafood restaurant in the early years, memories that have stuck for decades.

Those prices are taking the p1iss, and only targeting a specific demographic.

I don't agree this is extracting the urine with a meal per head at £150 at a Michelin 2 star restaurant. It is well within the scrimp and save category IMO but that said I do appreciate there are folks at different saving levels so yes I guess it is targeting a certain level of disposable income, but isn't everything?

While we're at it, no reasonably priced entry level wine is also two fingers up to the diners imo

On this we are of an accord

At the end of the day there is eating as you need food and dining out as an experience. I'm a fairly good cook but a nice quality Japanese Wagyu steak can set you back £70 before you even cook it! In which case I'd pay more to have one cooked by an expert.

We have a Michelin star restaurant about 40 mins drive away and its far from cheap and with selected wines for each course its expensive but boy what an experience. The surroundings and service are excellent and all contribute to the overall experience. Try booking a table now after the lock down ! They are fully booked up for yonks....................

If you haven't tried quality food then you don't know what you are missing. At an entry-level if you like pork try some black foot Iberico pig - its the 'Wagyu of pork' and is much cheaper than the beef. The pigs roam freely on the hills and eat acorns.

Yum! My tummy is rumbling,

DV

The whole Daily Record article just comes across as a whinge from someone who doesn't understand the costs involved in running a restaurant. What is the relevance of the Christmas hamper cost and it's cooking time?

Remember, a hampster is not just for Christmas.

Guess I'm of the Marco Pierre White school "I like a mixed demographic. ...food should be affordable"
Just looked up his Rudloe Arms - mains £20-40, desserts £9.5.
I appreciate Tom's overheads, but I know where I'd rather eat.

The a la carte menu at The Kitchin (which is the Michelin starred place we most often go to) is £80 for 2 courses or £95 for 3, and Wagyu beef is one of the options on that.

The bargain option there though (and the one we most often use) is the lunch menu which is £50 for 3 courses.

The bargain option there though (and the one we most often use) is the lunch menu which is £50 for 3 courses.

yes lunch menu's at these places are often good value (yes i know "value" is relative and a matter of opinio)

I’m just back from a Miller & Carter. Two burgers, one Mac and cheese, one pud, a St Clements and a bottle of drinkable but no better Argentinian Malbec was £53. Not a meal that will linger in the memory for years or even days, but good company, friendly staff who enjoyed a joke, glorious weather to sit outside in, a shout of ‘Hey, Billy Gibbons! Nice one!’ and a fist offered to bump as I walked in to the bar (ow, iron bar - thanks Tommy Cooper). Entertainment provided by someone stuck in a ‘start a motorbike’ loop in the car park. 10 turn ignition. 20 does it start? No? Pause 15 seconds, goto 10. Best of all, I wasn’t paying. Good enough for me.

My usual view on these things is diminishing returns and expectations for the money, a bit like the motoring and JD Power survey analogy depending on brand and price.

For a very special occasion recently we ate at Sorrel in Dorking, technically you would say they tick all the Michelin boxes with presentation and customer service attention to details. But for £250+ we were underwhelmed and to be honest I’m fed up with the elite industry showing meats a hot pan for 10 seconds and expecting me to say wow. In contrast for £30 for 3 courses the Moat House at Stafford is stunning, as is the Indian food at the 29029 in Wareham Dorset for similar money.

While we're at it, no reasonably priced entry level wine is also two fingers up to the diners imo

Several choices £40-60 a bottle which seems reasonable for a 2* restaurant. Also like the support for English wines and bubbly.

More money than sense, and yes I can afford it. Thank fcuk meat not munched much here, disgusting and a waste of space (land)

Bloss

Sorry to disappoint certain members but fcuk you.
I feel a lot better than JB.

At least food keeps you alive, watches on the other hand do very little...and lots of people on this forum buy expensive watches.

Summary - there are privileged bellends in all 'markets' no matter what their relevance may be. :)

The a la carte menu at The Kitchin (which is the Michelin starred place we most often go to) is £80 for 2 courses or £95 for 3, and Wagyu beef is one of the options on that.

The Wife has been there a couple of times and said it was worth going.

Summary - there are privileged bellends in all 'markets' no matter what their relevance may be. :)

^ This. It's not for me at that price (any course that costs > £15 is wasted on me) but I can't get animated about others who better appreciate small portions at high prices and may wish to go.

He’ll charge what the market will bear. His restaurant is full for months, so he’s either bang on the money or too cheap. Of course it helps he’s in a nice part of the country.

I think that's the crux of it.

advertisement

Back