advertisement

Fancy a steak and chips down the pub

On the Glassdoor website, The Hand And Flowers gets a review of just over 1.5 / 5, suggesting that people don't like working there.

Personally, I think the price upthread is an absolute piss take. We all know how much this stuff costs and we all know places that do it brilliantly for half the price or less. I think Tom Kerridge is probably raking it in on that basis.

Why would you think I wanted to go to a down-market restaurant ? I just don't like profiteers.
Is a definition of profiteer someone who charges more than you can afford to pay? If it is there are hundreds, thousands of profiteers whose restaurants are fully booked 12 months in advance.

Is a definition of profiteer someone who charges more than you can afford to pay? If it is there are hundreds, thousands of profiteers whose restaurants are fully booked 12 months in advance.

Son had this in Newcastle, as soon as they were pronounced open post lockdown reservations poured in. About three months of bookings in three days.

Not terribly up market, it's across the board.

I suppose it is affected by what I can afford, must admit I'm not much of a restaurant goer anyway.

We seem to have reduced to a normal value discussion. This is a HiFi forum so please let me introduce you to the NAIM Flatcap PSU - lots of happy purchasers even at £299 for a box of air and £12 of components. At least you would get a decent meal at The Hand and Flowers

phoca_thumb_m_flatcap-1-naim.jpg

To give some perspective:
There are only 7 restaurants with 3* in the UK.
Only 20 restaurants with 2* in the UK.

By way of example.

Some years back a friend and me popped out for lunch. The Dining Room in Reigate. If memory serves me it was a warm summers day, a Wednesday likely. We were the only ones there. They were busy preparing for the evening which incidentally was fully booked. Given they were busy we offered to go elsewhere. Tony Tobin himself popped his head out of the kitchen and said no, let’s have some fun. I’ll cook for you. We thought, blimey, but it looks like you’re busy blah blah blah. Tony assures us he’ll enjoy doing the honours. So we say, we’ll go on then but keep it simple and we’ll eat whatever comes our way. Tony then proceeds to cook two different starters, two different mains, two different deserts. Wines individually selected for each course. What I can say, the food was utterly exceptional, the service was out of this world - all cooked and delivered to the table by Tony Tobin with a commentary about the wines. When we asked for the bill he charged us way too little for such an exceptional experience, suffice it to say we left a significant tip. An experience never to be forgotten.

Who's Tony Tobin?

:rolleyes: you got Google?

I am sure the meal described by @MichaelC was fantastic and will live long in the memory. All the ingredients would have been in mis en place already and may well have ended up in the stock pot or bin or staff meal depending on policy, date etc....

advertisement

Back